Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:23 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:38 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Actually if you don't have enough memory free, it probably wont stop ripping till it gets full. So that is probably not the issue. Its just that FUW wizard uses a WHOLE bunch of temp files to rip the file, but after the file is complete you can delete those files.

On that first screen you get, you name the file. right? then the box below is where you are saving the file. correct? then you hit next, and a box pops up and asks you where to get the file from (ie your DVD drive) and then a screen pops up with all the times on that disk. do you even get to that part? if so, ill try to get you to the next step...or see whats going wrong.

oh and anyDVD still comes in handy for those movies that have the movie VERY protected. i used anyDVD to convert the movie 21, which FUW would not do on its own.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:55 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Ok, got it to work. But, how do I know which selection is widescreen? This DVD has both. There is a chain 22 and 30. But, both look the same except for MB. And what resolution do I choose for widescreen? I'd prefer it fill up the whole screen, but not be distorted.

Also what is the best resolution for full screen movies?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:55 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

The highest resolution is 480x640? Where is the 720?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:07 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

FUW to my knowledge gives you the resolution size. ALL have my movies have automatically been wide screen. You shouldnt have an issue there. I always choose the option closest to the top that has the full length of the movie. ie: 1:37. I have never had an option of resolution larger than 640 X something. It looks pretty damn clear to me, but Im also not that picky. FUW also has a limit of 700MB on the free version, so that may be why you cannot get the highest resolution that the archos will handle. If you used a program you had to pay for, you would probably get a better resolution, and in turn a larger file size. Does that make sense?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:13 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I ended up buying the full version. As I want all the options available to me. But, still highest resolution is 640x480? I guess I'll try it. But, not sure why there isn't a higher option.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:55 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

You bought the FULL version of FUW, or anyDVD? I did NOT buy the version of FUW, and i get 640 X something...and thats with the free one that compresses to 700mb. If you bought the version of FUW then you dont have to compress, and will probably get a higher res. (i cant say for sure since i didnt buy it) If you buy the plug in you wont have to convert at all, your movies will have the highest res, and it will only take about 15 minutes to convert over. I don't know if you want to spend an extra 30 bucks...but it seems worth it if you really want the best looking movie.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:04 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Yes, bought full version of FUW. I guess the regular setting was at 700mb and left it that. Anyone opt for more then 700mb? If, so what setting? I can't download plug-in for converting directly from DVDs, since its not available yet. I have Archos 5.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:27 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Uping the mb didn't allow for higher resolution. How does one get 720? The movies after converting has black bars on both left and right side. Is this normal and will all movies have this?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:11 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

HEY FISH! so i checked it out! after you do the initial encoding, which takes about 30 minutes per movie, a screen pops up, and has a single screen shot of the movie. THEN you hit next. THEN you see the screen that has the resolutions on the bottom left corner. WELLLLL on the top there is a box (that on mine says 600 mb) that has the number of MB's. DELETE the number, and change too any number you wish. SAY 1200 mb. My resolution options went up! Check it out, and let me know what happens!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:14 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

There is no link between files size and resolution as FUW just adjusts compression accordingly.

Go look at the first page of the thread and check step 8, make sure you don't have something like 'preferred resolutions' checked.

Also check the aspect ratio of the moivie you are encoding as while you should use 720 wide for any widescreen DVD, the vertical resolution closest to the original will vary depending on the apsect ratio so you should expect black bars top and bottom for most movies.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:16 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

No, I didn't have preferred resolutions checked. I unchecked it, but still no 720. I even put my mb at 3000 and no 720 option. Why doesn't it give me 720 ? What resolution is best for Widescreen and also regular full screen? What mb size for best quality? And is AAC better then mp3?

I put one movie at 1000mb, but there wasn't any 720 option. So, left it at the highest selection. black bars on left and right. normal?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:24 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

For some reason with this new movie, it shows 720x384. Not sure why it wasn't an option before. I take it this is the resolution I should use for all my movies? What mb size is best? Which audio option is best?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:31 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Well, no matter what i choose...(i always choose the preferred option) its always black bars on the top and bottom to be make it wide screen for movies. When i rip TV shows, it bars on the left and right. I think it automatically knows. Like i said, i think mine look great no matter what resolution i choose. Have you ripped anything yet? ive ripped 3 movies since you started your initial question!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:19 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I've converted 3. Have another converting now. I have about 6 others that were already converted. I prefer handbrake, but I can't get it to work with vista.

This last movie, it didnt have 720 as an option, so maybe it depends on the movie.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:07 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Is ACC better than Mp3 for sound?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:10 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I have no clue...sorry dude.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:03 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

fishcube wrote:
Is ACC better than Mp3 for sound?

AAC is supposed to be higher quality compression for a given bitrate when compared to MP3.
AAC isn't supported on the Archos "out of the box" though, so you'd have to buy the podcast plugin to be able to play it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:00 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

been looking at the movies i have converted and some are quite grainy? What setting can I use to get the best quality picture?

I have plug in, so AAC works.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:45 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

What you are seeing is probably the result of compression.

If you increase the file size you will decrease the compression that is required.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:05 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I successfully converted several videos, but now every time I try, I get an error message saying that FU has encountered a problem and has to shut down. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program, and I got further in the process, but I still get this message. I have tried several DVD's with the same result. I am running the program on an old laptop with Windows XP and a small hard drive which is almost full but I am using an external hard drive with plenty of free space. Any suggestions?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next