Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:31 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:16 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I just bought A Archos 605 wifi 4gig and it came with cinema plugin but I need the Podcast plug in to play some videos in the H264 codec. Before I bought the device I went to Archos and noticed that they still had a page where you download plugins but you first need to enter the product key. So when I got the device I went to this page and enter the product key and it brought me to a purchase and download page but when I tried to buy the podcast plugin it removed it from the cart and said it was no longer available. So you see my dilemma. I hope I don't have to convert all of these files to play them but if no one sells them? eBay doesn't have the podcast plugin.
Thanks
Russ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:00 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Location: Where No Man Has Gone Before: The Planet Phi-Epsilon Nudist Colony For Women
Sent you a Private Message (PM). :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:31 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I've got the same problem. After 5 years of successful use (playing mainly Divx and Xvid files), I'm finding that more and more files are in the wrong format for my Archos (mp4/h264) and I need this plugin to play them.
Any ideas of how I can play these files now?

Thanks,

Daz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:46 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Location: Where No Man Has Gone Before: The Planet Phi-Epsilon Nudist Colony For Women
dazbarber wrote:
I've got the same problem. After 5 years of successful use (playing mainly Divx and Xvid files), I'm finding that more and more files are in the wrong format for my Archos (mp4/h264) and I need this plugin to play them.
Any ideas of how I can play these files now?

Thanks,

Daz

The plug-ins for the 5th Gen Archos players are apparently no longer available, even from "aftermarket" sources (where I got mine).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:55 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

SHADO wrote:
The plug-ins for the 5th Gen Archos players are apparently no longer available, even from "aftermarket" sources (where I got mine).

I can't believe that they've left us in the lurch like this. My 30Gb 605 is in perfect working order (the only problem I ever had was with my first battery dock which malfunctioned within a year and was swapped for a new one by Archos). Although my phone plays videos really well it's tiny and doesn't hold much so I much prefer to take my Archos away with me loaded up with viewing material. Up to this year's holiday, the majority of files have been in the avi format. This year, I've found that most files seem to be mp4s.

Do you know of any workaround that would enable me to use the Archos that doesn't involve:

a) Converting the files
b) Watching the videos on my (tiny) phone.

Thanks,

Daz

Last edited by dazbarber on Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:32 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi everyone.

I have the excat same issue with my 605 WIFI/20GB. (used a lot by my kids to watch videos)

In fact, I think the podcast plugin might be unable to read modern mp4 files with their characteristics. But anyway, archos could have left the plugin in line for free, or with a warning about known incompatibility :(.

Archos support told me that it's just not supported anymore...

If anyone have any solution...

thx!