Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:49 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Should I keep my Archos?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:25 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi Folks,

I have an Archos 605 (4gb) with the extra battery pack that has served me well.

I recently got my first smart phone (Motorola Razr Maxx) which does everything the Archos did and more!

I'm trying to decide if there is any reason to keep the Archos, or see if I can get a few dollars for it on Ebay.

Opinions appreciated.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:33 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I don't know if it helps you with your decision, but I just bought one on eBay and I paid $66 including shipping for the 605 + DVR dock. That might get you some idea of what people are willing to pay?

If you do sell it, I'd suggest (oddly enough, perhaps) that you register at r/c aircraft related forums and post in their classifieds rather than going eBay. This item is still quite useful in that arena, as there are less and less portable devices that are inexpensive and can record from standard a/v outputs.

Now maybe you can help me. I don't have time to spend going through this site, which appears to be (for the most part) dead as this product is now going on 6 years old or more. Could you point me to some resources maybe?

#1) I understand this thing uses paid "plug-ins" to get functionality out of it. I also (think I) understnad that the company no longer supports it so you can't actually buy them. I also read somewhere a vague reference to it being hacked so that you don't have to. Any difinitive repository of information on this concept?

#2) I pretty much want to use it only for recording over a standard a/v (yellow RCA) cable. I don't actually have the device yet, otherwise I might be able to answer this for myself... but do I even need any plugins for this purpose?

#3) Any tips?

Cheers.

- Steven

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:30 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

one of the must haves would be the movie codecs i got mine with the docking stations but lost it when i flashed the device and dont know how to get it back everything else is useless cant even use the internet anymore as the browser is obsolete and the games were rubbish aswell as the device wasnt strong enough to power them.

i tried selling my 605 30gb wifi with docking station and all wires and i only got offerd £10,- for it so i kept it dont know how others managed to sell it for a decent buck

also any info how to get the most out of this device would also be nice.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:50 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

re: selling it... as I mentioned above, hit the r/c airplane sites. VERY few devices meet the following criteria:

1) record standard analog inputs
2) is portable
3) records static. This is VERY important to these people. Most devices that meet the above criteria will go "blue screen" when the signal gets poor. These people ALWAYS have a "poor" signal lol... some picture is better than no picture.