Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:09 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:55 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi I'm new here and I need help :cry:
My Archos 605 80GB stopped working, it didn't turn on. I exchanged the battery for new one, it turned on and worked until the battery was gone. It's not charging the battery - thru charger or USB cable. What can I do now? Thanks for any suggestion.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:51 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Mine just stopped working today as well. (March 29 2011) Do they have a self-destruct? LOL! It was fine, then froze up on a video, I got a little shock from the player when I tried to reboot it(although the tv I was running it into was plugged into a powerbar surge protector), and it died...the battery light comes on when plugged in, but wont flash to full charge, and nothing I do will turn the power on...even rebooting.

It is dead. Anybody know how to get it up and running again? No amount of charging is bringing it back to life....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:52 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

oops...I should mention..mine's a 160GB the battery is not changeable, but it was working perfect before this afternoon.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:26 am 
Archos User
Archos User

niniannebast wrote:
oops...I should mention..mine's a 160GB the battery is not changeable, but it was working perfect before this afternoon.

You can change the battery. I just did and I'm not a geek. I'm a lady. I have the 605 160 gig model. You can't get new batteries from Archos anymore. (Don't even bother to call Archos Support for older models. They charge a fee now for older models and they won't help you.) I got my new battery from newmp3technology.com. Good price too. I paid $35 Canadian which included the shipping. It's a bit of work to change the battery since you have to take it all apart but if you're a bit techy you can do it. The hardest part is unsoldering the wires and soldering the new ones. It's a bit tight in there so you need a fine soldering iron. Some people just cut the wires and splice them. There is a video on YouTube that shows how to do it but the guy doesn't show how to take it apart. He shows how to put it back together. But it's a good guide as long as you keep track of how the parts fit and which screws go where. To remove the hard drive you need an allen key (6 sided). I'm glad I kept my Archos as there is nothing comparable out there. Even tablets like the I Pad are just 32 gigs. I think I saw one that had 64 gigs but it was very expensive. Also, if you decide to change the battery yourself, be aware that the circuit board is a bit tricky to get it back in the case properly. You just have to be carefull and take your time. Mine was still under warranty with Future Shop but they couldn't fix it since Archos doesn't support older models. That warranty was a waste of money. I hate that companies bring out products that are obsolete only 2 years later. PS: In the video that shows how to change the battery, the guy removed the video screen. To do that you have to unsolder a piece. I didn't bother but it did make it a bit more ackward with it attached.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:05 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks Samysam. I did get my hands on a used 80Gb but I will try this with my 160.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:55 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Just get a new battery. If you can get one cheaper that would be good, but I doubt you will find one cheaper than what I paid. The battery for the 80GB model is the same as for the 160GB model. I was worried how good the battery would be buying it online, but it seems good. I would suggest you get it from newmp3technologies.com where I got mine. It was $35 which included shipping to Canada. They are located in VA I think. Plus they have all kinds of accessories for the Archos. Good luck. If the problem with yours is the hard drive, then I can't help you with that one. It's easy enough to change the hard drive, but I wouldn't have a clue how to install the operating system for it. I'm sure there are people here who would know though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:55 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I did replace the battery in my 160 with a battery from the website that was suggested, but it did not make any difference. I guess this means my hard drive is shot. It does not turn on for anything or show up when attached to a computer. The battery charging light comes on to show that it's charging, but that is the only function that works. The battery has been left charging for hours, even overnight. It does not ever fully charge or turn the hard drive on.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:08 am 
Archos User
Archos User

That's too bad. Did you check the battery to make sure it was good? It's possible you got a bad one. That does happen. If it is your hard drive, then that really sucks. I wish you luck.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:04 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

My 160 shut down when I accidentally zapped it with a static charge. It was not plugged into any power, and the battery was running low. I had it on the portable external battery pack plugged into a tv for output. I was cleaning with a static broom and when I touched the case of the Archos, I heard a crack and that's when it completely shut down for good. Would that have killed the hard drive or battery (the battery had been recently replaced and was working like a dream until that point.) I just can't believe that a static charge so small could fry the thing, but it seems like the obvious answer.