Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:16 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:36 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Just wanna say thanks to the thread creator for sharing the info to change the battery. Mine died finally after 2 years and using this tutorial helped me greatly!

Just wish I had opted for the 4500mah battery that I see you can get, has anyone tried it? I put in the 2500mah batt and it works great, good to have 3 hours of video play off battery again!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:21 am 
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

ecsw wrote:
Step 5.

Use soldiering iron to remove the battery contact from the board.

and please make sure you NEVER EVER short circuit the battery contacts while doing so. these batterys do not like that at all!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:38 pm 

Just wish I had opted for the 4500mah battery that I see you can get, has anyone tried it? I put in the 2500mah batt and it works great, good to have 3 hours of video play off battery again!

Be careful with an exteded battery. In the past people have advertised for an extended battery for the 2.5" HD models that have not been real. Because the battery is under the HD size is critical. However you should now be good to go for another 2 years.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:11 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

nz wrote:
ecsw wrote:
Step 5.

Use soldiering iron to remove the battery contact from the board.

and please make sure you NEVER EVER short circuit the battery contacts while doing so. these batterys do not like that at all!

That's right. If anyone is not good at soldering, please just cut the battery wire and do it from there. :) Should be much easier that way.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:51 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

BunnyToes wrote:
Got the replacement battery....attempting the replacement over next few days, when I feel I have the steadiest hands lol. Thanks for the walkthrough and advice....you guys are all invaluable....lost w/o this gadget!

Hoping this also solves my "device has malfunctioned" error on win7 64. Will only recognise device via 1.1 usb extension port....not through my 2.0 ports. :( Fingers crossed.

Well, got it done, battery took a full day and half to finally start the green led blinking, but now battery has full bars woohoo!!

Unfortunately, I cannot transfer ANYTHING to it because computers still say "usb device has malfunctioned...not recognised...replace it if reconnection doesn't work" GRRRRRRRRR.... Oh well, twas very satisfying to follow this walkthrough succesfully, Thankyou again to posters! :(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:47 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

BunnyToes wrote:
BunnyToes wrote:
Got the replacement battery....attempting the replacement over next few days, when I feel I have the steadiest hands lol. Thanks for the walkthrough and advice....you guys are all invaluable....lost w/o this gadget!

Hoping this also solves my "device has malfunctioned" error on win7 64. Will only recognise device via 1.1 usb extension port....not through my 2.0 ports. :( Fingers crossed.

Well, got it done, battery took a full day and half to finally start the green led blinking, but now battery has full bars woohoo!!

Unfortunately, I cannot transfer ANYTHING to it because computers still say "usb device has malfunctioned...not recognised...replace it if reconnection doesn't work" GRRRRRRRRR.... Oh well, twas very satisfying to follow this walkthrough succesfully, Thankyou again to posters! :(

did you try different set of usb cable or try connect it with mini dock or dvr dock if you have any?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:01 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Need another battery change for one of my 605. :p

I think mp3technology's $30+7~ shipping is a bit pricy, therefore, I decided to order from ebay for under $20.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/2700mAh-Battery-for- ... 414c7045d3

This one should work with 80GB/160GB. I will keep everyone updated once I receive it and test it out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:38 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I can plug an 8gb memory stick with movies on it into the minidock and it will stream the shows off of it, (unfortunately without bookmarking), but it never let me drag from stick to archos drive before...I will have to try that.

How would I connect it to computer using minidock?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:26 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

BunnyToes wrote:
I can plug an 8gb memory stick with movies on it into the minidock and it will stream the shows off of it, (unfortunately without bookmarking), but it never let me drag from stick to archos drive before...I will have to try that.

How would I connect it to computer using minidock?

use a regular usb to mini-usb cable? like this?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:12 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thankyou, I will try that...next time I close to a shop I will buy one. I thought that slot might have been an extra charge slot...ty for that! I will also try booting to a secondary harddrive that has XP on it, but I am not holding my breath. I read electric meters for a living, so always out in the boondocks for lunchbreak, and this device comes in very handy for filling deadtimes! :) Be in touch the day I try it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:22 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Location: Where No Man Has Gone Before: The Planet Phi-Epsilon Nudist Colony For Women
BunnyToes wrote:
Thankyou, I will try that...next time I close to a shop I will buy one. I thought that slot might have been an extra charge slot...ty for that! I will also try booting to a secondary harddrive that has XP on it, but I am not holding my breath. I read electric meters for a living, so always out in the boondocks for lunchbreak, and this device comes in very handy for filling deadtimes! :) Be in touch the day I try it.

The minidock should have come with one. Even if it didn't, I'm surprised you don't have one lying around. Can't swing a dead cat at my place without hitting a spare usb cable, lol. But then again, I'm kinda into gadgets that happen to use them. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:28 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I may have this wrong...but I was reffering tot he minidock as the little gray dock that came with the archos in the box. My bad if I am wrong. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:44 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Location: Where No Man Has Gone Before: The Planet Phi-Epsilon Nudist Colony For Women
BunnyToes wrote:
I may have this wrong...but I was reffering tot he minidock as the little gray dock that came with the archos in the box. My bad if I am wrong. :)

No, you're probably correct. As I just got my 605 a couple weeks ago (refurbed), my experience with it is limited. I was thinking of when I bought the minidock for my Archos 5. It came with the usb cable. But according to Amazon, the 605 minidock comes with a usb cable also.

In fact, I didn't even realize the 605 was available with the minidock. I had just assumed it could only be purchased as an accessory, and not available in the box with the 605.

Anyway, does it look similar to this?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:10 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Yepper, thats the one :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:37 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I just updated my first post. I confirmed the battery from this ebay seller works for both 80GB/160GB (duh, it's the same battery) for $19US SHIPPED. Look for 80GB 605 Battery from this seller and it works no problem.

It's also marked as 2700mah instead of original 2500mah. should get about 8% more juice in theory. :p It also comes with 3 months warranty.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280451483308&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Seller : http://stores.shop.ebay.ca/Total-Power-solution__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Here is the picture before I replece it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:33 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Update for the new battery found on ebay.

After using the new battery for 2 weeks, I am pretty sure I can say it has a little smaller capacity than I can remember.

I am getting about close to 4 hours video on my 160GB which I kind of remember it was a little more. But other than that, it works good so far.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:22 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I would second third and fourth...the "soldering it at the battery rather than the board" comment.

I melted the frame of the Archos with the tip of my solderin iron which was a big mother..not one of those litttle pen jobbbies....and even if I had a small one...I still would have melted it. I didn't quite understand what removing it at the battery meant..but I get it now. Seems way less risky going about it that way....and the wire lengths are already cut to the proper size so you don't have to worry about cutting down the wires that come with the new battery.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:54 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I have noticed a strange behavior on the ebay battery....

When using a battery dock to charge it and when it reaches fully charges, it will start to blink the screen and restart it automatically over and over again....

I have restarted it and found it did the same. very strange. I will keep everyone updated if I find anything strange...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:55 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

acemagic wrote:
Quote:
Has anybody encountered this? I have an Archos 605 160gb and the battery needs to be replaced. I purchased one on ebay for roughly $25 incl shipping. When I received it, I quickly disassembled my Archos and to my surprise, the battery was too long. It is approx 1.5 cm too long and won't fit in the housing. It is the right thickness though. On the seller's page, it listed the battery would fit 80gb and 120gb. After reading only the 30 gb was different from the rest, I assumed this battery would fit in my unit. Is there a housing size difference between the 80gb and the 160 gb archos?

I just had this same problem. My archos is in pieces on my floor and lo and behold, the battery is 1.5 cm too big. I got it from
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... K:MEWNX:IT

It plainly says in the ad that it fits the Archos 80GB. I have a feeling I just got humped, but I'd love to hear any suggestions!

-Acemagic

i got the same problem, it seems to be this specific battery.
I'm assuming the battery looks like this?

http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=32181&p=214725#p214725

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:36 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have a 605 30 gig, which appears to have easier access to the battery cables. Rather than soldering my replacement battery cables to the board, I cut the existing battery cables and spliced them together with the corresponding cables from the new battery. Now, when docked, the charge LED is on but the unit won't power up. Do I just need to wait a day or so for this thing to charge fully? Did I make a tragic mistake somewhere? Any thoughts?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next