Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:18 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:13 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I paid Archos for the battery replacement. I can confirm I got a different unit back (at least, the unit was wiped, so it COULD be the same unit with a new hdd for some reason).

However, the plugins I purchased are still installed, so I did not lose them, just all the data, which I backed up before I sent the unit anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:54 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

^ that's the problem. I think they simply sent you a re-furbished one with possibly new battery replaced by manufacture. It's a lot faster that way for Archos and they just have to remember install plugins for you before they send it back to you.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:58 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I had a 160gb whose battery life was very short and I discovered this thread. I bought a new battery from mp3tech. I just dismantled my player and after I replaced the battery I reconnected the screen to test and the led light does not light up when i hold down the button. I've examined it pretty thoroughly and can't figure out why it's not powering up. Can someone elaborate what the ground wire look like? I don't see any wire or understand how I'm supposed to connect it. I have a paperweight now so if someone can help me that would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:15 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

well, did you charge the battery? 605 wont turn on without any charges.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:08 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I tried to put it in the docking station and nothing happens, no light no screen no nothing. Should I just put it on the docking station and see what happens?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:14 am 
Archos User
Archos User

When I connect to my computer, no splash screen and no reaction from computer. How should I charge???

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:07 am 
Archos User
Archos User

You could have damaged the motherboard, as with mine, which is a goner :(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:54 pm 

Did you reconnect the wires correctly or reverse them? Also care must be taken not to let the wires touch each other or something else when reconnecting. This could short out the unit.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:12 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

PreZ wrote:
I paid Archos for the battery replacement. I can confirm I got a different unit back (at least, the unit was wiped, so it COULD be the same unit with a new hdd for some reason).

However, the plugins I purchased are still installed, so I did not lose them, just all the data, which I backed up before I sent the unit anyway.

I'm curious to know what Archos charged you to replace the battery.
Are you in the US or Europe?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:03 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I did no solder them in reverse and don't believe they touched each other but I could be mistaken. I bought a new battery from mp3 technology and it was 30 bucks. When the battery drained I was considering just using this unit as a streaming and dvr device for my bedroom. Maybe this is a stupid question but, When I dock it on the docking station, Why does it not power up? Isn't it running off of the docking station at that point? At this point I am considering these 2 options:

1 buy the Archos 5 internet tablet, docking station, new add-ons and get a cheap phone

2 buy a smartphone and a refurbished archos 605 40gb

I need to research smartphones and the Archos 5 to see which is a better fit, any good threads to read would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the responses so far

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:51 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

HELP!

changed the battery on my 605 (160Gb) and all seemed ok. checked everything was working with new battery all worked. Anyway after 15 mins the new battery died which is expected as it hadn't been charged. put on charge and the charge light came on. problem is it just doesn't charge. now the battery is completely drained and i can't even copy the hard drive files off. I have unsoldered and resolderd the battery but still the same result.

Any Ideas?

The battery is from the site in this thread and the size was perfect but leads needed to be cut down. If the new battery was not connected how did it work for 15 mins before it died? Don't understand, HELP PLEASE. :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:59 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Location: Where No Man Has Gone Before: The Planet Phi-Epsilon Nudist Colony For Women
Jays wrote:
HELP!

changed the battery on my 605 (160Gb) and all seemed ok. checked everything was working with new battery all worked. Anyway after 15 mins the new battery died which is expected as it hadn't been charged. put on charge and the charge light came on. problem is it just doesn't charge. now the battery is completely drained and i can't even copy the hard drive files off. I have unsoldered and resolderd the battery but still the same result.

Any Ideas?

The battery is from the site in this thread and the size was perfect but leads needed to be cut down. If the new battery was not connected how did it work for 15 mins before it died? Don't understand, HELP PLEASE. :cry:

How long have you left it charging? Through usb on your 'puter, or some other method?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:45 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

unionpac2004 wrote:
Jays wrote:
HELP!

Any Ideas?

How long have you left it charging? Through usb on your 'puter, or some other method?

all in all it's been charging for days on the DVR station. Looks good but no joy. Just wish I could get my files off the hard drive. Know someone with a small HD version of the same unit. Maybe if the connections are the same I could use his to get the off. I guess the board is damaged, probably by me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:26 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Location: Where No Man Has Gone Before: The Planet Phi-Epsilon Nudist Colony For Women
the HDD in the 605 is keyed to the specific unit. Can't go switching drives willy-nilly (I love archaic sayings), without hacking. Not to mention if your friends smaller unit is the 30GB model, the drives and connectors are completely different.

Not to nag, but why do people never have backups of their files?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:03 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Everyting backed up except The wire all seasons. Not the end of the world I can always buy the box set.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:01 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Well......I think I cooked it somehow.(605 160gig)

There's power on the board at the solder points (according to my volt meter)

But with the old battery I was getting the green light to come up even with the HD out, and now nothing with the new battery in so......doesn't look good. I'll put it all back together and see what's what.

My major issue was not being able to get the black circuit board screw out, so I had to take the side plates off and bend and twist a bit. I may have been a bit too assertive.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:39 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

.............wait.......wait....(no not the White Lion song)

......she LIVES!!!

all during the reassembly process I had no power, nothing. Put it on the mini dock to see.....green light came on, took it off and it powered right up. It's charging now. I'll see if I get that 15 minute(then die) syndrome I"ve heard about after battery replacements.

thanks to original poster for diagrams..and that hue dude too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:38 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

^ congrets! :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:23 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Got the replacement battery....attempting the replacement over next few days, when I feel I have the steadiest hands lol. Thanks for the walkthrough and advice....you guys are all invaluable....lost w/o this gadget!

Hoping this also solves my "device has malfunctioned" error on win7 64. Will only recognise device via 1.1 usb extension port....not through my 2.0 ports. :( Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:40 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

"BunnyToes"

Hee hee. I like it! :D

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next