Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:28 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:03 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Oh dear this seems way too scary and complicated for me but my battery's down to about half an hour's life on videos and I can't afford a replacement. Anyone know anywhere in the UK (preferably London) that will do this for me for cheap?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:53 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

If anyone offers this as a service in the London area please let us know...
I am in contact with Archos to have the battery replaced and they've 'indicated' a cost of £72 (incl VAT, parts and labour)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:39 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I Live in the London area too. There must be somewhere in the UK that will provide this service. I did try emailing a gadget repairers i found on the net sometime ago, but I never got a reply to my email.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:01 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

thanks for the post, I will probably do this soon as my unit is getting pretty old.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:11 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm trying to replace the battery on my Archos 605 WIFI 160gb and have followed the instructions by ECSW. Thanks. Hit a snag. Don't know how to unfasten the zif connector for the screen. (Haven't reached the control button zif connector yet) I'm scared I damage the connector or cable if thats what you call it. Can anyone tell me how to unclip these connectors safely? Colin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:18 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Hasn't read this for a while. Here is the zif remove picture I hope u can understand.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:44 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks ecsw for the helpful details on battery replacement.
I need my battery to be replaced and will share your instructions
with a techy who will do this for me.

Is there a reason why my battery lasted only for about a year?
Has leaving it in your DVR station a negative effect on battery life?
Or is it harmful the leave teh battery discharged and unused for too long?

I'm asking just to make sure that I do not have to replace it aging at such short notice.
After al, in about all other respects the Archos 605 wifi is an excellent gadget...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:46 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

drdousa wrote:

I hope someone knowledgeable will give the definitive answer on these questions. I have a couple of Archos models, and I always have one of them in the DVR Station, blinking away. Is that bad?

What's the best strategy for optimizing battery life? If frequency of use matters, I tend to use my units sparingly (a few hours per week) and while the battery charge will get low, I've never run them all the way down. Should I?

Today I noticed that my lightly-used year-and-a-half-old 80G model was NOT blinking. Since I was going to the gym I transferred a new audiobook and then unhooked it. After about a minute the screen went contrasty, stayed that way for about 15 seconds, and then shut down. I figure it's the battery since it works fine when plugged up. Is this normal life, or a consequence of too much charging, or just karma?

And, oh yeah, thanks for the good tips on changing the battery, guys. =D>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:13 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

drdousa wrote:
Thanks ecsw for the helpful details on battery replacement.
I need my battery to be replaced and will share your instructions
with a techy who will do this for me.

I'm asking just to make sure that I do not have to replace it aging at such short notice.
After al, in about all other respects the Archos 605 wifi is an excellent gadget...

sorry I missed this question.

Li-ion has charge life of 300~1000 times. if you charge it half way, it's more or less counted as once. Leaving it on DVR shouldn't be bad as Archos did cut off power when it fully charged. But
it shorten the battery because of the heat. Battery doesn't like heat at all.

I usually discharge my battery or use it as much empty before i recharge it again. Some people disagree with this on Li-ion battery. But my experiences made my 404 battery lasted almost 3 years before i need a replacement.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:41 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi, first of all thank you so much ecsw for being so helpful.

I bought my archos 605 wifi 160gb about a year and a half ago, and I think the battery is completely gone, but I'm not sure if thats the problem. Basically, it wont work for longer than a couple of seconds. Even when I plug it into a PC it wont stay on (although it will usually stay on long enough to transfer files thankfully). It works in the DVR station, but only after a couple of minutes of leaving it charging it on it. Can my battery have deteriorated this much in such a short time??

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:23 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

psychopatwick wrote:
Hi, first of all thank you so much ecsw for being so helpful.

I bought my archos 605 wifi 160gb about a year and a half ago, and I think the battery is completely gone, but I'm not sure if thats the problem. Basically, it wont work for longer than a couple of seconds. Even when I plug it into a PC it wont stay on (although it will usually stay on long enough to transfer files thankfully). It works in the DVR station, but only after a couple of minutes of leaving it charging it on it. Can my battery have deteriorated this much in such a short time??

u r welcome. yap, u need a new battery. 605 wont power on thru external power.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:03 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Quote:
Has anybody encountered this? I have an Archos 605 160gb and the battery needs to be replaced. I purchased one on ebay for roughly $25 incl shipping. When I received it, I quickly disassembled my Archos and to my surprise, the battery was too long. It is approx 1.5 cm too long and won't fit in the housing. It is the right thickness though. On the seller's page, it listed the battery would fit 80gb and 120gb. After reading only the 30 gb was different from the rest, I assumed this battery would fit in my unit. Is there a housing size difference between the 80gb and the 160 gb archos?

I just had this same problem. My archos is in pieces on my floor and lo and behold, the battery is 1.5 cm too big. I got it from
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... K:MEWNX:IT

It plainly says in the ad that it fits the Archos 80GB. I have a feeling I just got humped, but I'd love to hear any suggestions!

-Acemagic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:37 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

acemagic wrote:
Quote:
Has anybody encountered this? I have an Archos 605 160gb and the battery needs to be replaced. I purchased one on ebay for roughly $25 incl shipping. When I received it, I quickly disassembled my Archos and to my surprise, the battery was too long. It is approx 1.5 cm too long and won't fit in the housing. It is the right thickness though. On the seller's page, it listed the battery would fit 80gb and 120gb. After reading only the 30 gb was different from the rest, I assumed this battery would fit in my unit. Is there a housing size difference between the 80gb and the 160 gb archos?

I just had this same problem. My archos is in pieces on my floor and lo and behold, the battery is 1.5 cm too big. I got it from
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... K:MEWNX:IT

It plainly says in the ad that it fits the Archos 80GB. I have a feeling I just got humped, but I'd love to hear any suggestions!

-Acemagic

not 100% on this one, but you should be looking for battery for Archos 605 80gb/160gb. AV605 if I remember correctly, is something older?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:58 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Quote:

not 100% on this one, but you should be looking for battery for Archos 605 80gb/160gb. AV605 if I remember correctly, is something older?

So you're saying there's an Archos AV 605 and and Archos 605 wifi? I thought AV just stood for Audio/Video. Mine doesn't specifically say "AV" on it, but it does say "Wifi".

At any rate, I contacted the Ebay vendor and am already processing the return and I bought another bettery from mp3technology.

-Acemagic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:32 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

^ that's the part I am not sure. There were AV500 and AV700. That's before 604/704. But I never heard about AV600 or AV605.

viewforum.php?f=9

Maybe the seller is confused it with AV500? or maybe the seller didn't know 605 has 2 different models uses different thickness of batteries?
That's the problem with ebay sellers. Some of them don't put their descriptions right and are confusing.

mp3technology should have the right battery. They know what they are doing. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:42 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Boy was I PO'd that Archos dropped support for this thing (like, last year). But I still had it plugged up to the TV. I took it with me on a trip a few months ago to discover the battery was kaput.

Thanks for this guide! I bought a replacement battery for my 80GB from NewMP3Technology. A little bit of surgery later, and the little monster is kicking again!

Sweet.

Jason

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:38 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

^ that's great.

I forgot to mention. The first few time the battery indicate might jump a bit. just need a few total discharge and full charge to calibrate the battery indicator back to normal.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:50 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for the great directions. At a few points I was pretty worried I wasn't going to be able to do this, but my Archos is working again, fully reassembled, and re-charging in the dock. And I'll sure be taking it out of that dock once it's charged this time!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:53 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

^ glad it works out for you.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:53 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Well my boss finally gave it a go for me - and now my Archos is no more. Apparently it was all working and everything, but when he tried to put it back together he knocked some soldered bits off the motherboard or something and can't fix it and so that's that. £20 down the drain and now I guess I can't even send it back to Archos to repair. What on earth will I do without it?

Devastated,
London.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next