Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:36 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:59 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Had my 605 160 GB docked to the docking station for several months, without any use.

When the 605 is docked, i notice that the power light is on, and the screen is off (maybe the unit is in standby or something).

Anyway, took the 605 out of the docking station to use it, and noticed that the unit won't turn on past the startup ARCHOS banner screen.

And immediately after i hear a bit of "clicking" sound from the hard disk drive.

Also noticed that the screen itself is bit pushed out of the unit.

Anyway, decided to take the hard disk drive out to test it, and what i noticed was that, soon as i removed the hard disk drive the battery that is just underneath it bulged out.

And looks like it is this bulging of the battery that pushed out the disk drive, and that pushed out the screen.

I don't think the battery is supposed to be this bulged out.

When i poke at it softly, feels "mushy", "jelloy" and not sure if it's supposed to be like that. But definitely i can feel that the battery has bulged outward.

I own 604, and having replacement removable battery is sure helpful.

So, anyone experienced something similar to this?

Can i get a replacement battery from ARCHOS?

Here are some pictures of the battery with it bulging out.

Thanks much!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:43 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

yes i think there was a case like this reported on the forum not too long ago and this to me is quite shocking. This could be dangerous and if this happens to hurt anyone Archos will be in some serious shit. Anyway i dont think Archos will fix it for you now even its under warrenty, thats because you opened the case and by doing so you have voided the warrenty.... you might as well just find a replacement battery and replace it yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:44 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Right, the battery definitely should not be mushy.
It is probably the added pressure on the hard drive that prevented it from booting properly.

Personally, I wouldn't assume you can't get it replaced under warranty. You didn't have to break any seals to open it up, and you haven't attempted any repairs yet. So you could just put it back together and try to get it fixed. I'd try the place you bought it ahead of going to Archos directly - given the amount of negative feedback in these forums on Archos support.

In future if you don't expect to be using the device for an extended time, I would probably not just leave it on the dock. The player is not supposed to take any charge when it doesn't need it, but if you aren't using it, why take the chance (however small it may be)? Better to store it with a better than 50% charge.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:49 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks all for your feedback.

I've just sent out a customer support inquiry through Archos Web site.

Let's see what they respond with.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:27 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Do not under any circumstances attempt to use the unit or to recharge the battery once it 'puffs' like this.

The low discharge and charge rates that Archos use should not cause the more catastrophic battery failure that is familiar to RC model owners where high charge/discharge rates can result in these cells catching fire when they are abused, but once it 'puffs' you should consider it dead.