Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:35 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Firmware 2.1.04 bugs
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:22 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Well the 605 is off the Archos site!

I'm pretty sure that's a sign there's no more updates to come!

I haven't taken my 605 out of the house for months....I use it pretty much every day though docked with my HD for movie and music goodness. I thought about upgrading but this really does do everything I want it to.

My remote has become a little sketchy though. It has probably 2-3 days a month where it just won't work no matter what I do to it, then suddenly it's back and working great again!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:45 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Well....I havent upgraded the firmware on mine ever so I'm probably way behind. Is it worth it? The only issue I have is the "content portal clock". Which I'll attempt to set the clock to see if it will fix. I think it may be an issue with my PC as it resets itself back an hour no matter what you do.(probably a failing cmos battery)

suggestions?
was there a good firmware update that didn't cause people to lose their minds?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:58 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I wouldnt recommend upgrading. That is just my opinion. From what i have read, not much good is done in the higher firmwares, so anything below 1.8 is better because it can be hacked (hoping something does eventually happen). And even if nothing happens, from what i hear the newer firmware was rushed together to plug up holes and please customers (which i dont think it did much at all)

That is just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:19 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Given up on my 705, got a new iPhone 3GS. As well as not having to carry a seperate phone, its a great iPod, surfs the web FAST, can open Hotmails ok, plays Youtube with no probs, very good touchscreen. I'm not an apple agent, in fact I find the apple staff a bit snooty at times, elitist even, but it IS a good machine.

Au Revoir Achos, you've just lost me

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:16 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

there are magor issues with the database.

2 that annoy me the most.

1. large databases will cause the player to crash, upon rebooting it says updating arc library and following that the library is empty sometimes a few tracks/albums remain.
only way to fix this is to reset all temporary files in the settings menu. then you have to wait for the database to rebuild.

2. track numbers dont seem to work, not sure why but the library wont see the track numbers. this is particularily irritating with full albums when you want to listen to them all the way through.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:01 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hey guys,

I still have the original firmware version on my 605 (1.3.53) and I'm in two minds as to whether to update or not.

I was just in the process of downloading the newest 2.1.04 release when I started reading some comments on here and the problems it was causing people.. My player works fine as is, never had any major issues with it - would I be crazy to update?

Should I stick with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" brigade?

If it's any relevance I'm planning on buying some "cheese" for my 605 shortly, is it ok to install the plugins with my old firmware or would the newer be best?

Am I missing out on anything by not having 2.1.04?

Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:59 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

The plugins need the newer Firmware. I'm on last released FW since it came out (605wifi 160G). The Plugins are just keys to unlock features already in the Firmware. Hence you need to update.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:03 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I have not had any problems. The newer FWs do add various features. The last was Alarm Clock and previous was I think the GPS software needed if you get a GPS dock (About 100 Euro, which has the GPS receiver in it. Note that cheap GPS units are only 320x240 with no touch screen. 605 is 800x 480. A phone GPS is too small a screen for Car Sat Nav.).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:07 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Since my Archos 605 Wifi was sent away for a battery repair my recorded data is suffering from a video/audio synchronising issue.

I had intentionally left the firmware unchanged since it was bought,as everything i needed worked fine but the repaired unit has been flashed with the latest firmware 2.1.04 as a matter of course.

Now any recording I do experiences a progressing sound delay in relation to the same video, that just builds up the longer the recording is. (On a 7 hour episode catchup the deference is about a second)

The system worked fine before the firmware was updated but is now rendered useless as a recording device. I have tried both Firmwares on Archos Website and unit apparently cannot be downgraded further.

I am happy to revert to older firmware but the website says it is not downgradable???????????????

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:40 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

1) They always upgrade the Firmware.
2a) Complain to them about the recording.
2b) Record direct Digital (Satellite or Digital Terrestrial) transport stream (or copy your own DVD in Europe) on PC (using PCI or PCIe cards) and reformat/ recode to MPEG4 at a decent bitrate using 2 pass VBR after recording. You'll have much higher quality for same space. Possibly even less storage required. Analogue to Digital live recording decently needs much more processing than most gadgets can do unless you want VCD/VHS quality, I use a dedicated DVD recorder for Analogue TV reception, or an old Digital Camcorder as an Analogue -> DV format via ieee1394/ilink/firewire on PC or laptop and then convert to MPEG4 / xVid.

However I agree the out of sync sound is more annoying than the poor quality of the Archos video recording compared with two pass non-real-time encoding.

3) You can't downgrade. At least not in any easy/useful fashion.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:08 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

does anyone here know how to write a script that will enable the installation of Linux
on ÔÇ£Archos 605 wifiÔÇØ device?

I was told by Archos Tech support that they wonÔÇÖt creating anymore updates for the Archos 605 not even the flash update.
He went on to saying that I could write a script that would allow for me to install a Linux OS on the device.
So I ask if they could do it he says no.

So can anyone help me as the flash that I have on the device is flash 9 and most websites I visit are using flash 10 so guys help to change the OS to one that will updates or the latest technology.

using firmware 2.1.04

contact me at: [email protected]