Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:52 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:48 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I am very new to Archos and I have searched for this question. So here goes. I have been recording tv shows on my dish network dvr and have been transfering them to my 605 wifi via the docking station. I have been watching them for several days. Today I transfered some Futurama's, like I had done before but, this time now the Dishnetwork folder has a X on the far right hand side and all the dishnetwork subfolders have X's next to them. When I select them to play it will try to open the file than I get a BIG X and message of Cannot play video! please check. No options or telling you what to check. All movies that have been downloaded all play fine. I know this seems to point to the dishnetwork but, why if I was able to record and watch for several days before.[/u]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:42 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

1. Why isn't this in the 605 part of the forum?

2. You didn't mention this but I imagine you are using the Dishnetwork plugin and you have either a 622 or 722.

3. I furthermore imagine that you already paid your $40 and got the external drive enabled on your 622/722.

4. Now I wildly speculate that you earlier transferred your files over the USB connection when your 605 was set to Windows Media mode. This is the correct way to do it since content providers want DRM imposed. :(

5. I am making a wild guess here, but I would guess you got your 605 USB connection back into PC Hard Drive mode by mistake. This would allow your 622/722 to encrypt the files for an external backup device, such as a USB disk, that imposes no DRM of it's own.

Last edited by TheKrell on Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:52 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Forgive me I did not know where this was posted I thought it was in the correct place this is only my first posting. After 45min. with Archos and dumping all my shows they had me reinstall the firmware and transfer a show using only the usb cable. This was a good fix. This 605 wifi 160gb unit was only 2weeks old and the newest firmware was installed on set up. F***ing whatever only 1/2 day wasted.

Thanks for all that tried to help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:57 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Hoverair wrote:
After 45min. with Archos and dumping all my shows...
Argh!

OK, If I was guessing correctly above, you didn't need to do that. For future reference, should this ever happen again, you can recover from this accidental wrong-mode transfer by transferring the non-working shows back to your receiver, changing the USB mode of your 605, and transferring them back again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:04 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

P.S.
1.I am using dishnetwork vip622
2.Yes I did pay the $40.00
3.yes I was in Windows Media mode. Great point though!!!
4. Yes did that too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:17 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks being so new at this I just did what the tech. told me to. All the shows were no big deal Im sure they will run again.
Thanks

Post subject: $40??
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:27 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

what is this $40 you are referring to...I have a vip622 and two non-dvr equipped vip211;s.....

so, does this mean that I should hook up my 605 to the vip 622 since it has a dvr? or can i use my 605 dock adn hook it up to my vip 211 non-dvr box and download shows from that one as well?

Please clarify for me....

thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:10 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have my 605 hooked up to my VIP622 (S-Video) through the DVR Docking Station. Works good. I also downloaded the Dish Plug-In, though the Dish Plug-In will NOT let you transfer HD content or copy-protected movies.

Post subject: Re: $40??
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:53 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

biswasd wrote:
what is this $40 you are referring to...I have a vip622 and two non-dvr equipped vip211;s.....
It's a one-time charge on your account to enable external storage. Once that happens, you can move recorded programs, including HD, off your 622 and onto a USB drive of your choice. Once it's on an external disk, you can play it there using the receiver to which it's attached, or move it back onto the receiver's internal disk, or onto another receiver's internal disk which is subscribed to the same account. Note that the programs are encrypted once on external storage, so you cannot play them back on your computer. The external storage option is not currently available for the 211, though rumor has it that it's coming real soon now, ;) along with turning your 211's into DVRs.
Quote:
so, does this mean that I should hook up my 605 to the vip 622 since it has a dvr? or can i use my 605 dock adn hook it up to my vip 211 non-dvr box and download shows from that one as well?
You can record either way. But since the Dish plug-in is FREE, you most definitely want to use it that way (fast digital copy) if possible. The DVR Station can be used to make a real-time analog copy from either receiver. This obviously will take a bit of time and risk getting messed up if somebody changes channels or callerID is enabled and someone call your telephone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:39 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

STOP!! You do not need to pay the $40 to transfer shows that will be watched on the 605/705. You only need to pay if you are transferring for archival backup. (the 622/722 will reformat the HDD) I have NOT paid the $40 fee and can transfer and watch SD content on my 605 WiFi without a problem. However I have not tried to transfer the content back to the receiver.....

I didn't know you can watch content archived off of one receiver on a different receiver when it's on the same account. What I read on the DBS forums is the opposite of this. Have you actually tried this?? That is the only reason I have not paid the $40 fee.

However, I know I can D/L content off of either of my 622's to my Archos (which I didn't think was possible until 2 min. ago when I tried it) :) When you install the Dish plug-in you have to give it a receiver ID # which I originally thought was hardcoding my Archos to that specific receiver for D/L'ing content.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:06 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Sorry no I did not pay $40.00 to Dishnetwork. I thought you were refering to a plug in thru Archos. even with that I could not tell you which plug in because we just purchased all of them. Extravigant maybe but we just wanted eveything that the Archos could do to be acessable

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:30 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Datalux wrote:
STOP!! You do not need to pay the $40 to transfer shows that will be watched on the 605/705. You only need to pay if you are transferring for archival backup. (the 622/722 will reformat the HDD) I have NOT paid the $40 fee and can transfer and watch SD content on my 605 WiFi without a problem. However I have not tried to transfer the content back to the receiver.....

I didn't know you can watch content archived off of one receiver on a different receiver when it's on the same account. What I read on the DBS forums is the opposite of this. Have you actually tried this?? That is the only reason I have not paid the $40 fee.

However, I know I can D/L content off of either of my 622's to my Archos (which I didn't think was possible until 2 min. ago when I tried it) :) When you install the Dish plug-in you have to give it a receiver ID # which I originally thought was hardcoding my Archos to that specific receiver for D/L'ing content.

What Dish plug-in? Where did you find this? How do I get my hands on it?

Tom P.