Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:45 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:48 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm considering getting a new MP3 player. My main use will be listening to Audiobooks, and podcasts. I tend to rip my mp3s from CDs and cassette tapes, and I do not use subscrption services such as Audible.

My main concern are how the Archos 204 handles resume, rewinding and bookmarks.

1. I assume the 204 when powered-on will resume the last played audio file. But will it resume from the beginning of the file regardless of what position you were at, at the time off powering-off the player. Or will the 204, resume to the specific point, you were at, within the file, just before you turned the player off?

2. Does the 204 treat an album as continuous audio content so that a rewind started in track 6 will back into track 5 continuously (in other words from the beginning of track 6 to the end of track 5 and so on).

3. My audiobooks always consist of several (sometimes hundreds of) small mp3 files. When bookmarking will the 204 save the playlist as well as the current track position? So if I save track 25 of 212 as a bookmark, when I restore this bookmark, and track 25 has finished playing, will track 26 follow or will the player stop playing and just return to the menu?

If anyone could advise, I would be very grateful.

Thanks. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:24 pm 

i have the 604, im also an owner of ... av300, gmini 402, pma430, av480 and av140. All of them have had NO problems with audiobooks. I cant see the 204 being any different. If the 204 is like its big brother then it will have 16bookmarks and you can place these wherever you like. The files, you can set them to play however you like, ie random, by file or all (random or in order). The playback is more or less gapless and you wont notice the tracks on the player, you wont need to navigate the player to carryon playing the next file or folder.
On another note, i have around 1tb of audiobooks, what i do with mine is store them as 1file per cd, there are some good freeware mp3 joiners that will also lower the bitrate if needed (ideal for audiobooks), i find it much easier to browse by folder then select the book without having to scroll though 100s of files.
Ive not seen the 204 and i dont know anyone with one, this is just a educated guess on using archos for many years. If you purchase one from a proper shop (with doors and windows insted of the windows only sort) then you can have a fiddle to see how you get on with it. Unlike the icrap you can set the player to be in HHD mode that will allow you to put your files where you need them.
roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:31 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for your reply roy, it was helpful. Only problem is I don't know any brick and mortar shops that sell Archos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:31 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Where are you located, I can probably find one for you.