Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:54 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:52 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Just bought the 704 wifi, DVR station & Helmet cam for $687 USD and cannot wait to get it here next week.

I have an Archos AV 380 (mobile brick) and I love it. I have been following Archos ever since i got it and finally pulled the trigger on the 704 wifi. My kids love the AV380 to watch movies I have taped from TV on and such. Yesterday though the joystick broke and I now have a reason to upgrade.

So my question is...Coming from the Archos AV380 what can I expect? Will I be surprised? Or should I cancel my order and go a different direction? I know it is bigger than my 380AV and I am ok with that.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:54 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Portability is the only issue as to when you will have a chance to spend time watching it outside the house. I travel by plane frequently and its perfect to take on board (much easier than a laptop). Guess a car mount for kids would work as well. Screen is great. If you are used to recording from TV then you will really appreciate it (I have used Snapstream Beyond TV for years and its great). I used to spend a lot of time recording shows and converting them to .avi With the 704 I dont even bother, just copying them directly as mpeg and deleting them after watching (hint: buy the plugin). Recording DVDs directly is also easy although there are several good conversion utilities as well. Screen is great and touch interface is fine, although no place to secure the stylus is a pain (I usually just push it under the velcro that close the case. Wifi is nice to have, but unless you have wireless accounts or spend a lot of time in places that have free wifi, likely to be too expensive to use much except at home. Lack of flash support is a big drawback (especially for watching video on internet, or in my case, not being able to access my XM satellite radio account via the web). Streaming wifi at home is now fine with the new firmware fix (download it immediately). Enjoy when you get it. It's a great machine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:46 am 
Archos User
Archos User

theres a pocket for the stylus its in the right hand side of the case!

the 704 is a wicked machine you will enjoy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:22 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

anthony99 wrote:
theres a pocket for the stylus its in the right hand side of the case!

Thanks for this. I actually hadn't noticed that. Until now, I was just pushing the stylus down the left side of the case beside the 704. This small detail makes it just that little bit more confortable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:41 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks also, one of the better kept secrets :)

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:34 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Well today is the big day. Thanks for your tips and suggestions. I will try to respond tomorrow with my first impressions. Let me know if anyone has any tips for a 704 noobie. Thanks again and I hope this forum continues to grow with support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:12 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Ok, well my first impression when I got it was: WOW! This thing does it all!

It truly is a great machine, worthy of it's own dock right next to the TV in the living room. It is a breeze to connect the dock to the TV and this eliminates the hassle of connecting wires and such to view / record.

If your thinking about getting the Docking station, do it. I am not so crazy about the travel adapter though. Just don't see the relevance. The only features I can see it adds is the ability to record on the go and access for the helmet cam which is an add-on $$.

Just bought the Plugins and now I have no more $$. I previously had the Archos AV 380 80Gb DVR and this thing blows it away.

Only complaints are that the WIFI is slow for browsing the web. And the touchscreen can be annoying sometimes. Also it does not support WMV files that I can see.

I really enjoy streaming off the Desktop CPU and the Laptop. it is pretty simple.

Gotta go play with it some more. BYE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:40 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

What are your thoughts on the helmet cam? I believe it's VGA quality, which isn't any better than most digital cameras or even cell phones. Considering that it's being advertised to capture extreme sports moments, how practical is it to carry around the Archos itself plus the DVR dock or adapter at the same time?

Also, could you possibly do a comparison for me? The headphone jack on the Archos 704 acts as an audio/video out (analog). The advantage of the docking station, of course, is that you have digital out/in as well as the analog. But could you do a comparison of the quality difference between outputting from the Archos directly and from the docking station? I would really appreciate that. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 5:37 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have only played with the camera for a few brief minutes, but the video quality looked very poor, and washed out. I have only tried indoor incandecent, and indoor flourecent, but hopefully soon I can report back on outdoor video. Not impressed so far.

-C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:18 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Hay all, I've been lurking around here a bit getting info on the 704. I was ultimately looking for a cheap device that could do internet and be a notepad that's it. I don't know why that's so ****ing hard for companies to figure out right now. I did the whole gambit from a 604 to a UMPC and well the 704 seemed to be the best compromise. Worst comes to worse I can log into Gmail and use that as a makeshift notepad. Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. I'll probably have it sometime today. It will be a nice fit between my ipod video and 8" portable dvd player. Maybe even replace my dvd player. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:14 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

slash74 wrote:
Only complaints are that the WIFI is slow for browsing the web. And the touchscreen can be annoying sometimes. Also it does not support WMV files that I can see.

You can play WMV files on the 704 but not DRM protected ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:48 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

slash do you mean playing drm films from the archos to the tv, as you can play them if your watching them on the actual unit, bear in mind though that they will only play on the unit that recorded them ( wish someone would crack that one )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:53 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

RIP it to remove the DRM !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:31 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I have ripped a couple but it makes a load of files each 1 being approx 24minutes long, i can jn about 3 or 4 of them at a time but it means a film is split into 2 halfs, any tips CBers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:35 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Use DVDShrink (or similar) to compress the output files, else convert it to an AVI file.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:48 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

cheers im sure i have dvd shrink i will give that a go soon, i have a ripping programme that is very good cant remember where i got it but it makes each file 24 minutes long so watching a film is like watching it on the telly with the ad breaks, i shall play next week when im nights at work

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:42 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

You should be able to change DVD Decryptor to make the files bigger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:08 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Hi cbers I think i have got it set at 3gb's or 2 gbs an hour programme creates two files i shall try the ole dvd shrink, looks like im keeping the unit as so far touch wood with my recording settings lowered im ok for recording of the tv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:44 pm 
What can you expect? How about an ulcer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:19 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Or a expensive looking door stop :lol:

Is ashampoo movie shrink any good to sort my baby out