Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:34 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: White screen
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:38 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

My Archos 704 got dropped on the floor.. :(

Whenever I now start it up it at once goes to an empty white screen. I've tried to reset it with no change in behaivor. I've also tried to press to TV button to get it into recovery mode - but the screen stays white.

Anyone has any idea on what to do?

Post subject: Re: White screen
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:33 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Wow, the same here yesterday!!!!
White for the first 3 attemps, then after few gently hits I seen few black lines.
Probably one of the connectors of the LCD came out or partially out, you must open the unit, dismantle all the things (2 connectors are under the hard drive) to get access to the LCD connectors.
There is another connector under the copper tape, just above the LCD itself.
I recovered black, green and red, I'm here to ask what of those connectors commands the blue dots, I want to put the attention on the right connector without removing all parts!
Hope someone can help!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:04 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Just finished to fix it.
Finally I found that the crash broke the flat connector support/mount.
The LCD is fitted on the main board by means of few flt connectors, one of them is a connector between the LCD and its back cover (maybe steel), this flat connector is short and fit on the back of the LCD by a little foldable locking system. This little mount is mounted on its board by 2 soldering on their sides, in my case, one of the side broke, and broke also its soldering.
Just putted some glue and soldered the side again.
Hope that your problem is similar, just time to spend with it, no money needed. :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:40 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Have the same issue.
THe hd seems to boot correctly (seeing the red hd light it works as usual )
But as soon as i turn it on i get a white screen. after the disk works a bit, the screen is less bright as if the menu appeared.

The 704 does respond to the usb connection to the computer...
It does respond to the remote control after connecting the player to the dvr station and after screen turns down. Prior of that it doesn't. After that i can take it off the dvr it keeps on receiving remote commands.
With the remote i can navigate and connect to tv and everything is working well but not the player's screen.

It does respond not respond to lcd/tv button only after connecting the player to the dvr station and after screen turns down. Prior of that it doesn't. After that i can take it off the dvr it keeps responding to lcd/tv button.

Davierosoft, can you be more specific as how to take the screen off the player as how to check the connectors you mention.
I have taking out the wifi the hard disk.
All screws retaining the motherboard seem to be out but it doesn't seem to go out easely and i'am affraid to break something.
I see the copper tape covering 2 connectors.

thanks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:53 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

just discovered something...

as i stated before the player doesn't respond to the remote nor tv/lcd button prior of put it on the dvr station and turn off the screen by holding the on button for a couple of seconds.
Because after doing this the player it does respond to remote and respond to pressing to tv/lcd button

just discovered that when turning on the player and pressing on the ESC button on the remote, the player responds to the remote and to pressing on the tv/lcd button...

Maybe there is a screen when i turn it on but cannot see it...

any clues?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:33 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Had this problem with my 704 wifi a couple years ago when the original battery went kaputz. Replaced the battery and the problem went away. Seems if it really can't hold charge it can't muster enough juice to initialize the screen properly. I had some of the anomolous behaviour mentioned in the thread while attatched to the docking station also so having ac power won't necessarily help if the battery is really burnt or the cells are damaged.

New batterys are available on ebay and at newmp3technology.com. You shouldn't need to spend more than about $30 US.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:45 am 
Archos User
Archos User

mabtec wrote:
Had this problem with my 704 wifi a couple years ago when the original battery went kaputz. Replaced the battery and the problem went away. Seems if it really can't hold charge it can't muster enough juice to initialize the screen properly. I had some of the anomolous behaviour mentioned in the thread while attatched to the docking station also so having ac power won't necessarily help if the battery is really burnt or the cells are damaged.
New batterys are available on ebay and at newmp3technology.com. You shouldn't need to spend more than about $30 US.

I agree with above comment. I find mine white screens sometimes on startup when the battery starts to get low. I have a 705 as well and have no problems with that so when this happens I swap the batteries and then charge the offending battery on the 705 and it seem to solve the problem for a while.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:26 am 
Archos User
Archos User

The white screen due low battery is a known problem for me, had that problems from the first days of my archos. However, the problem we had after the crash is not linked to the battery power.
I had this problem 4 times after the crash. I need to dismantle the unit, check connections and play with them, then, if all is ok at the start normally it recovers most of the colors (not all). I need to play with it some times to get it back to normal operation.
And after a little hit, the problem will start again.