Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:20 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: VLC Media Player
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:28 pm 

I believe the VLC app is not offered to archos devices under google play, but it seems to work if you grab the beta version from VLC web page. I now use it to play m4a music, but I had to change the advanced audio option from openesl to java (I can't use the native option for m4a downloads from itunes... DRM?). Otherwise it freezes your device. I coudn't get other m4a apps to play right.

I at first couldn't figure how to do multiplay, because that icon only shows during landscape mode. Also I couldn't control it well until I found if you click on a playing song it brings up a better player menu with the essential shuffle option. You can change a settings to offer you a skip-this-song button. Now you can navigate by folder and so this most robust of players finally comes with decent controls.

We in the past have tried VLC to handle tricky video formats, but it seemed to fall behind MX player. But I may try this latest VLC on my parent's home movies again which MX can't entirely decode right. Scary, because when beta VLC doesn't work it locks up the device (reboot works).

Post subject: Re: VLC Media Player
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:24 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Which device are you using VLC on?

I've tried it on my gen8 A43IT. It didn't do a good job of hardware video decoding so was too slow and laggy to use for video. For audio I found deadbeef and rockbox more capable in several ways (variously bookmarking, gapless, custom eq, cover art, folder browsing). For video the Archos video player on the gen8 is still excellent.

Recently I got a used Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000 and VLC works decently enough on that for video, but guess what is even better? It's the Archos Video player that is now available for all players. Advantages: codec/file format support for video is excellent and it has built in support for smb and upnp browsing (and even indexing remote shares) including bookmarking and resume, it also natively understands smb:// files launched from another app like a file manager/network browser.

I still use my A43IT daily, mostly as an internet radio and ebook reader. It is still decent and in some cases superior to other devices (for example the Archos devices support streaming flac, whereas Samsung devices support playing local flac files but not playing flac streams) and if it had 3G connectivity maybe I would have stuck with it for a bit longer but VLC always seemed a bit too heavyweight for this device.

p.s. VLC is available from F-Droid.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:39 am 

I think we had this conversation years ago when I was getting some unplayable format of videos working on my a70 (silent home movies where somebody added DRM soundtrack). I should have made clear that I don't go to VLC as an alternative... if any other app works then don't even bother with vlc.

VLC is my last ditch resort, and can take torturous explorations of option combos to prevent freezeup of the device on the problem media. That is why I told what options I needed for our android on some of my m4a from itunes that wouldn't play. It didn't help to try other android m4a players.

I had noticed my android was skipping some songs that were OK on my laptop which used VLC. The android version is a crippled beta version of that, but is getting better. I think it is like a rusty bulldozer mainly useful for brute decoding ability... not supposed to be comparable to other sportscar-like apps.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:36 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

The failsafe option is to decode to wav but if it's a remote file and especially if it's someone else's remote file this may not be possible. m4a does seem to be an occasional weakness with Archos' media support: I noticed that some m4a files aren't recognised if accessed via upnp in the Archos file browser or Music Player app but play OK via smb or as local files. deadbeef never seems to fail (it uses ffmpeg) but isn't in appslib. You might have to trawl through the developer's G+ to find downloadable apks. It takes up a lot less disk space than VLC and also is stable and quick in use and isn't a memory hog. I didn't yet find an m4a file it couldn't play, and that includes a few that made Rockbox choke and which Archos apps simply didn't recognise.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:19 am 

Thanks! I'm making progress with free deadbeef and the needed plugins...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:02 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

There's a useful deadbeef widget as well, it's a separate apk like the plug-ins.