Are you a ArchosFan?
Yes i'm a Archos Fan 43%  43%  [ 6 ]
No i'm not a Archos Fan 43%  43%  [ 6 ]
Do not care 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
Total votes: 14
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:19 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Is the general Archos buyer really a fan of the product they purchased?

It seems to me that the waters are very divided here, and they real fans on this site have some sort of attachment to the company Archos.

When I first looked at the archos tablets I tried to familiarize myself with the different units, and came to the conclusion that at the price this would be a bargain.

I had no expectation that I bought a tablet with the same build quality as for example an Ipad. However, it was my impression that my 101 G9 Turbo (not 1 GB but 512 MB RAM which was not informed properly) had specs in terms of better or equal to an Ipad, and it has not really lived up to my expectations.

It is my impression that this is mainly due to poor software optimization, it may not only be Archos that have failed but might also google. However, I have had mobile phones with android who do not suffer from regular crasches and slow response and general odd behavior.

Another thing that disappointed me greatly was the support from the company Archos. I tried in vain for about 1-2 months to get in touch with support, and finally had to give up. The only option was to write on this forum, where any remark or statement is free. My question was simple, why are there only 512 MB of RAM when they marketed it with 1 GB online in reviews? This was a little thing that would not take the time or effort to answer but no, not a word from them. This is not a criticism to this page but against Archos support.

My experiences with my "archos 101 G9 Turbo" is not all bad, it has many good features like connectivity hdmi, usb, etc. and it is not a lot of video files it can not play. But what really annoys me is that many times when I just need to show someone something on tableten as crashes or hangs and must be restarted. Firmware updates are fairly frequent, but there has not been anyone yet that has been stable enough, always small errors are not corrected (of course small things but overall it is not good enough).

I do not mind messing around with my tablet or computer to get it to run properly, but it's a bit too much with this tablet and it is never optimal or completely stable.

I had read and seen in videos what I could expect in relation to build quality. I'm fine with plastic, so I'm not unhappy with the build quality. The only thing is the edge of the screen, in the beginning you do not think of it, but eventually you become tired of it (gathering dust and so on and is hassle to keep clean) but it's a small thing!.

These are my thoughts on archos and my tablet. I would like to hear your thoughts on your archos and are you a "archosfan" I'm not.

Had I known what I know now about how archos 101 G9 function and how Archos company function (It is not my impression that Archos is a small company that people say on the site), I had spent more money and bought samsung, asus or apple, it has not be worth saving.

If your comment is then buy another tablet! That's not what this is about, and not constructive.

Are you a satisfied archos owner?
Are you ArchosFan?
Would you buy Archos again?
Do you have anything positive or negative to say about archos support?

Updated!
New firmware came out changed the pole to never ending poll!!!!
Plus a USB Cable issue surfaced and just my luck I have that too.

Last edited by Strorten on Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:11 pm 

If you accidentally create duplicate posts, cant you click the little x and delete one so i dont have to do it? I am not an archos representative, just a volunteer... and the only archos reps who (rarely) post here have their status flagged.

Strorten wrote:
My question was simple, why are there only 512 MB of RAM when they marketed it with 1 GB online in reviews?

That is false in two ways. There is both a 512 and 1 gb version. Archos doesnt write the reviews and isnt responsible for their errors. They write detailed spec pages on their web site, although i think it doesnt distinguish the many subversions of this device. I do recall posts from the archos rep craig here that told how to distinguish the ram versions when ordering.

The gen9 road seemed rockier than gen8 so far. In gen8 the hardware was great and the firmware steadily evolved from poor to quite good. It had one annoying feature of cramped app space, but i dont appreciate my samsung taking the opposite approach and reserving so much app space that i must get an sdcard for even a modest media collection. I missed gen7, which i think had a rocky firmware history. I started with a gen6 when the firmware was pretty solid and hardware great.

Bottom line is that fanhood kind of depends on where you started. Archos shoots for the stars in terms of functionality and affordability, but may or may not achieve success each time. When they do, we can be so thankful vs the intentional limitations forced on customers by apple for instance. But they dont have the scale to write their own hardware ticket in china, and seem to have to opportunistically change directions even mid product stream. Their firmware and product support can be hit and miss because this is a huge open ended expense in contrast to the falling price of hardware. For my dollars, i wish they would eliminate user handholding except for automated rma's and increase the firmware team. My opinions anyway...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:06 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Sory about accidentally create duplicate posts! :oops:

Originally, the post is not meant / intended as a basching of Archos, but more to sum up all the little things about my purchase and the daily use of my tablet, which has left me an irritated buyer and owner.

It is of course a matter of interpretation, as to if the Archos representative in the Youtube videos I have watched, says that there are two models now in our turbo line. It is certainly not super clear, even on their website, and this is not the main problem.

http://www.archos.com/products/gen9/arc ... dk&lang=en & # a

But more on non-existent support on a small questions, not fair that you have to give up after over a month of constant attempts to get through to them. What if I had a serious problem, should I daily contact them and then give up vain. But they might take the problem more seriously if that were the case.

My post was not intended as an angry man ranters, but to hear if I really am one of the few who is not very happy with the purchase of my Archos.

The many errors and the company's lack of attention to informing their customers loud and clear, so you hereby avoid buyer disappointment. Like for me who end up keeping a product they never be entirely happy with.

I just do not understand why Archos is not more careful about protecting their "good reputation" it is very difficult to correct a bad reputation once you've got it.

All these things results in a costumer that would never recommend an Archos tablet to friends and acquaintances, and it is a small thing for a company to remedy to avoid dissatisfied customers. If I did not mistakenly purchased (512 vs. 1 GB) because of bad information, and if they might have answer my support questions. So they might have had customers who were more tolerant towards their lack of software stability. When you sum it all up, you are provided dissatisfied customers, as you can see go afmok on this page once in a while.

If my very unfortunate purchase and contact with Archos did not happen the way it did, and Archos got a stable functioning tablet. Archos could have a customer who would go around and sell their product for them in the form of praise, sadly this dos not seem to be a priority for Archos.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:06 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

In my case I was very much aware of the issue of ram. I spent quite some time studying the gen 9 forums here when still using my gen 7 (which I loved btw and still works but battery life started becoming an issue) so was aware of the 1ghz vs 1.5ghz along with the doubling of the ram.

I tend to buy a little later in the product cycle and only recently purchased the 16gb version of the 80. I have not had any of the issues that some have regularly reported here such as wireless issues, gps issues, crashes, reboots etc. In fact, in the 3 or 4 weeks of use so far I think mine has only hung once - yes, it's early days I know.

No doubt my experience would have been far different if I had experienced any or all of these issues reported by others.

I can only say in my particular case it has been a seamless experience so far. I was forced to use an ipad for a few weeks recently and whilst this was great for home use I quickly got very annoyed with the limitations when trying to take this away from the home environment and still have easy access to a range of media (was not prepared to JB as it is not my unit).

What I value with the 80 is the ability to take any amount of media with me either via micro sd, USB stick or even 500gb portable drive. This works brilliantly and is the main reason I steered away from the hard drive version this time around as I can have my cake and eat it too with the storage aspect (this is my first flash based purchased after the last two buys were hard drive based).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:56 am 

Strorten wrote:
My post was not intended as an angry man ranters, but to hear if I really am one of the few who is not very happy with the purchase of my Archos.

Your post was quite thoughtful and nuanced... i just wanted to challange a few points. Somewhere there is a big list of product numbers posted for the many variations of gen 9... maybe someone can quote them into the info sticky topic.

I have a 512 ram which some said has almost no practical drawback... that is to say there is some other bottleneck you likely hit first. But i wonder if it is causing the intermittant problem i have after rendering very complex web pages in desktop mode dolphin, which is already a memory hog. Then when i try to navigate further my screen goes white, often until i reboot. Then i can navigate... maybe a dolphin or ics memory leak fills the ram. I hope for one more firmware update, which is usually more quickly forthcoming.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:46 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I'm definitely not a fan and believe you get what you pay for in quality and performance. Their G9 products had some REALLY good potential, but their marketing and availability became their biggest adversary! I loved the 8" screen and the native 1024x768 resolution. And overall it would have been an ideal product had they simply released one(1) unit.... BUT NO, they jacked with everything and screwed it up. For example you can't get a 1.5ghz turbo unit with 16gb AND 1GB of ram for ICS. Instead you have to either settle for 1.2 or 1.5 with 16gb and 512mb OR 1.5 with only 8gb. And the SD card has become useless for apps and app data, but that issue really belongs to google. You will notice the google nexus doesn't even have a card slot.
I have unfortunately outgrown my g9's either because ram under ICS is insufficient or 8gb was too small for my apps and data. Surprisingly I have now switched to my wife's discontinued Samsung tab 7 plus with 32gb, 1gb and 1.2.ghz. It provided everything and more over the archos except the screen size and resolution but I have adapted. I gave my wife my nexus 7 16gb as I found the samsung better fit my needs.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:48 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

For example you can't get a 1.5ghz turbo unit with 16gb AND 1GB of ram for ICS. Instead you have to either settle for 1.2 or 1.5 with 16gb and 512mb OR 1.5 with only 8gb.

Maybe this point is about geography or the fact I only bought mine recently but I certainly have what you are saying is not available - Turbo 1.5ghz with 1gb of ram and 16gb internal memory. Purchased from minidisc australia.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:12 am 

Here is a thread with supposed model numbers for umpteen g9 variations. Near the end I highlighted the one claimed as nonexistant here. If you know a better list, please point it out and maybe post on the general g9 info sticky topic.
viewtopic.php?f=84&t=64151&hilit=502053

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:49 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

New firmware came out changed the pole to never ending poll!!!!

Interesting to see how people feel now with a new firmware update and the USB/3G cable issue.