Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:06 am

All times are UTC+01:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Archos Improvements
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:12 am 
Offline
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:49 am
Posts: 11
Now, I know that Archos is a small company, but if they really want to be successful they have to follow a few of these ideas.

One of the main reasons people don't buy Archos products is because they don't know about them. You see, everyone has heard of Apple. It is on the news, people talk about them all the time and that is one of the reasons they are sucessful. Archos really need to step up with their advertising and get some media attention. They had the fastest tablet on the market before yet they didn't properly take advantage of that. They should have advertised much more about the fact it has such a fast CPU. If they were to do this they would be alot more sucessful.

Now, secondly. You have to listen to the community! I saw on Facebook Archos announcing the G9 only having 512MB of RAM and that it was limited to that due to keeping the price lower. Now, Archos is doomed to fail if they don't do what the people want. Regardless of if 512MB may be enough, people want that 1GB of RAM. From looking at all the comments on that Facebook post you can clearly see people wanted 1GB of memory. Even though it would be a little more expensive, so what? That is what people want. You really need to listen to them and not try and convince them that 512MB of RAM is good enough.

Thirdly, people don't like buggyness. You really need to get a larger testing team for the company! When people buy a tablet, they want it to be smooth, error free and easy to operate. Now, if there tablet is restarting every 2 minutes and the wifi only works 1/20th of the time, they aren't going to be interested. So you really need to test so you can fix 99% of the errors before it goes onto the market. Try and make the interface as smooth as possible (People don't like laggy interfaces. Even the most minor lag) and really make sure there is no hardware errors.

Now, another point I would like to make is that you really need something that stands out about the tablet. For example, Gen9 did a good job on this. Fastest processor in a tablet. That is what people want to hear. Something that makes the product they buy unique and special. They want to feel ahead of everyone else. Now, if the tablet has a 200Mhz processor, 64MB of RAM, no GPU, no WiFi, then people aren't going to be raving about this tablet to friends. Though, if the tablet has a slick interface, a 1.5Ghz CPU, An amazing GPU (It's all about the gaming performance), and 1 or 2GB of RAM, then that is something to brag about. People like being able to brag about their products. People can't really brag about a cheap tablet. So make it quality, but keep the price to an affordable amount. ($450?)

Anyways, that is my ideas. Comment with any other suggestions or comments bellow. I would like to see what you guys think! :D


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Archos Improvements
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:39 pm 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:36 pm
Posts: 407
Quote:
One of the main reasons people don't buy Archos products is because they don't know about them. You see, everyone has heard of Apple. It is on the news, people talk about them all the time and that is one of the reasons they are sucessful. Archos really need to step up with their advertising and get some media attention. They had the fastest tablet on the market before yet they didn't properly take advantage of that. They should have advertised much more about the fact it has such a fast CPU. If they were to do this they would be alot more sucessful.


I don't think that they should spend money on advertisements. Advertising costs quite a sum of money and with quite small marges you better spend it on something else.

Quote:
Now, secondly. You have to listen to the community! I saw on Facebook Archos announcing the G9 only having 512MB of RAM and that it was limited to that due to keeping the price lower. Now, Archos is doomed to fail if they don't do what the people want. Regardless of if 512MB may be enough, people want that 1GB of RAM. From looking at all the comments on that Facebook post you can clearly see people wanted 1GB of memory. Even though it would be a little more expensive, so what? That is what people want. You really need to listen to them and not try and convince them that 512MB of RAM is good enough.


I totally agree with you on that. I know that 512MB RAM is enough, Charbax knows, Archos knows; but 99% of the "I want that i Thing, are there cheaper options?" people will want 1GB. At least put 1GB in Turbo models, 8GB can survive without that.

Quote:
Thirdly, people don't like buggyness. You really need to get a larger testing team for the company! When people buy a tablet, they want it to be smooth, error free and easy to operate. Now, if there tablet is restarting every 2 minutes and the wifi only works 1/20th of the time, they aren't going to be interested. So you really need to test so you can fix 99% of the errors before it goes onto the market. Try and make the interface as smooth as possible (People don't like laggy interfaces. Even the most minor lag) and really make sure there is no hardware errors.


I have never had some serious bugs. Wi-fi was always working, tablet was not restarting every 2 minutes and everything was quite easy to find(the G8 works a lot smoother on 2.4.19 though). People who currently buy Archos/Toshiba/Cowon products are most of the time tech(but not so tech that they will understand that 512MB with OMAP4 is enough) people who want to spend time reading the user manual and playing with the device. "Simple" people will buy Samsung GTab 10.1 or an iPad 2. Now Archos has to deal with another problem of tech people - they want system updates. Small fw update won't do it, people want Froyo on Gen7 and Gingerbread/ICS on Gen8. Otherwise, they wil go to facebook, start complaining and the media and forums will take it over. Look what is happening now - "Archos drops support for every generation once a new one is out.", "You have to pay 15EUR to play videos which other tablets play for free." Now, just show me a tablet on which you can play 1080p MKV and in the meantime select the language and subtitles for the file. On VLC player or Windows Movie Player on my PC it takes me more time to find out where the options are. I love Archos for that and I think that Archos 80G9 has great potential as an HTPC or even WiiU a-like thing.
Arnova tablets can survive without updates, because people buy it for a short period of time, but with G8/G9 people are buying a product to survive ~1-3 years.

Quote:
Now, another point I would like to make is that you really need something that stands out about the tablet. For example, Gen9 did a good job on this. Fastest processor in a tablet. That is what people want to hear. Something that makes the product they buy unique and special. They want to feel ahead of everyone else. Now, if the tablet has a 200Mhz processor, 64MB of RAM, no GPU, no WiFi, then people aren't going to be raving about this tablet to friends. Though, if the tablet has a slick interface, a 1.5Ghz CPU, An amazing GPU (It's all about the gaming performance), and 1 or 2GB of RAM, then that is something to brag about. People like being able to brag about their products. People can't really brag about a cheap tablet. So make it quality, but keep the price to an affordable amount. ($450?)


People won't spend 450$ on an entry-level(16GB, without 3G) Archos tablet; at least, not now.
_
I have some other thoughts and design ideas for Archos, may be I will post them in the future. Because Craig and other Archos employees read this forum, they can pick up some information of which they have never thought before.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Archos Improvements
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:32 am 
Offline
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:49 am
Posts: 11
Good reply. Nice to hear from another community member :)

As for the advertising bit, I agree that it is expensive but you can see that samsungs advertising on the Galaxy series has really helped. They have gotten alot more people interested.


And the buggyness part, I wasn't aiming that at Archos tablets specifically. My Archos does not restart every 2 minutes. I was just exaggerating to give an example on what not to do :P

And about the pricing, I was just meaning to say that most people don't want to buy a cheaper product if it has troubles with things the more expensive tablets don't have trouble with. Most people would rather a slightly more expensive model that works smoothly and can run most apps compared to a cheaper model that can't run many apps and is laggy.

If there tablet is smooth, it looks good. If it lags, it doesn't look good and can be a big turn off for potential buyers.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Archos Improvements
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:22 am 
Offline
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:37 pm
Posts: 39
For me at this stage, what I think Archos needs is to get the gen9 smooth and stable, mind you I donÔÇÖt have a gen9 so IÔÇÖm going with the feel of this forum and the media at large.

I would gladly overlook the 512MB ram and the ÔÇ£cheapÔÇØ design for a 100% stable device. Think of the joy of picking up a tablet and ÔÇ£it just worksÔÇØ, and think of the added joy of it not costing you an arm and a leg.

Although the tech in me would not be happy if the OS version would not be ICS. 8)


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited