Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:25 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Your advice
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:37 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

It looks like my 604 may have bitten the dust, so I am in the market for a replacement.

I loved the 604. I don't particularly like touch-screen (my android phone drives me mental). I don't really have a need for an internet connection for the tablet, I'm happy using USB connection for file transfer and my phone/laptop for internet connection.
The only downside to the 604 was the low HD size my model had, but I have read on here it's possible to expand.
I was even happy with the screen size - bigger screens might not fit in my pocket so easily.

Which of the newer models is best suited to me? Cost isn't an issue (I mean, there's no point in paying an extra £300 for a function I won't use, but I am not too bothered what price the tablet is if it does the job I need) I just want an updated alternative to my much-loved 604, ideally with more than 50GB HD size.

I find shopping for things like this a very arduous business, as shops try to sell me what they have, and reviewers often have different requirements to me. Hopefully the knowledge and experience on here can lead me in the right direction.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Your advice
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:15 am 

605 was the last gen with the paddle buttons. You'll be hard pressed to find a 605 left over somewhere. It is the used market for you if you want those buttons.

Look a the A5A 5 incher. That is about the biggest size to still be pocketable. That is the gen right before the gen 8 which is out now. They have a larger HD model but they also have a great 32gig SSD version. They have been out a while so you can still find them new but save a little on the cost. Look at Amazon to start. Good luck.

Post subject: Re: Your advice
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:01 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for the reply Kodiak.

I guess it's progress, but I really don't understand why they took something great - a pocketsized video player & mp3 - and made it into a mini-PC. Everything's a mini PC these days, varying in size from iPad to the android phone; that internet tablet market's packed and there's a monster opponent. When I first got one, an Archos player was something different; simplistic and functional with an appropriate size for it's main function - watching TV shows and films whilst on the move. Now they seem to me to be just like lots of other products out there.

I will look at the Archos 5 Android, I've just found one on eBay. It seems I'll need to accept touch-screen though.