Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:50 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Banned???
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:43 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Can someone please tell me why I've been permentantly banned?

I've only made a single post, which was not spam but was deleted regardless. I have sent a pm to charbox and multiple emails to the admin - yet I have not received a reply from anyone and my ip and account are still banned. At the very least, please unblock the ip address so that I can browse the site without a proxy (as I suggested in the pm).

If no one can help alleviate this problem, then can anyone please tell me of sites similar to this one that I can go to instead?

Richard

Post subject: Re: Banned???
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:07 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

There is also the android tablet forums and xdadevelopers, but they aren't archos specific.

What was your other post about that was deleted and caused you to be banned?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:35 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thank you for replying!

I had messed up the vold.fstab file and I was asking if anyone had a copy of it.

Once I got banned, I installed urukdroid. But, I'd still like to get unbanned, especially, because I don't feel that I did anything that deserved an outright ban.

Thanks
Richard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:06 am 

What was the name you used that got banned. Also please read the rules and see if you violated any of them.

I may remember you and in fact I may have banned you. If I am correct you posted one post, your very first post, with a couple links to pirating web sites. FYI pirating anything is illegal. Sites have little tolerance for promotion of illegal activity.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:17 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I remember reading the post asking for that file, but I don't remember much else about it as I don't really understand how to fetch that file so I just went on to the next new post. I did report something that night so I wonder if there could have been a mistake involved with that report. If I did make a mistake, it was not intentional and sorry for causing a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:41 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

My username was reverson1 and, no, the post did not contain any pirating links. I am very well aware that pirating is illegal. All I was trying to do was to mount a partition and I screwed up the original file.

Rule 1 - Search - I did, several times, and nothing relevant was returned
    Rule 2 - Swearing/disrespect - I did neither
    Rule 3 - Spam/Warez - I did neither, I asked about vold.fstab as I messed up the file
    Rule 4 - Product link - I don't remember if used a link or not, but if I did it was to further explain what I was doing and certainly was not spam
    Rule 5 - Trolling - I did no such thing, I've posted more trying to get unbanned......
    Rule 6 - Multiple threads - Nope, only one post, banned from the get go.....
    Rule 7 - Search, search, search - I did, several times, and nothing relevant was returned
    Rule 8 - Foul language - Nope, not that either, even now I'm not swearing.....
    Rule 9 - Thread title - It was relevant and if I remember correctly it was vold.fstab or something similar

At this point, I am confident I did absolutely nothing wrong. I may be new here, but I am not new to forums. All I am asking is for the ip ban to be removed, so I can at the very least browse the forums. I am aware that as soon as my ip is renewed with the isp that this will be a moot point.

But, anyways, thanks for taking the time to post a reply. Hopefully, this will be resolved soon.

Thanks
Richard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:05 pm 

I'm working on getting the IP unbanned. I was able to unban the old user name so it may automatically unban the IP address. Give it a try and see.

I could not recover the exact post, however this is what I remember. You said you don't remember if it contained links, but it clearly did, that is why you got banned. If I remember correctly at least one of the links was to a pirating site that you may have used to get some file in the first place. I'm not going to repeat the name but it even has pirate in it's name.

We'll get the IP address cleared but please remember this for this site and others. If you join a forum and have one post, and that one and only post contains links to questionable sites, it will be easily looked upon as spam. If you have some history at a site and some history of posts to look back on then it could be looked at differently.

Let me know if the IP address is back up.

EDIT: IP should be up by at least 9:00 AM EST (USA). Try it and see.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:33 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Kodiak, thanks for correcting the problem. Let me reiterate, I never posted a link to any site that pertained to anything related to pirating. I didn't get anything, I as asking for the default contents of vold.fstab. I explained what I was attempting to do hoping that someone else would understand.

The original post viewtopic.php?f=66&t=54295

But anyways, thank you for fixing this.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:17 pm 

You're welcome. The link goes to a post that does not exist anymore so no way to see what was originally written.

FWIW - The mods here will usually not click on links in posts. This can be a dangerous practice. If you are a member and have contributed posts to other topics, that will provide some history of what your intentions are. If not IMHO it would be advisable to not include links on your first and only post, at this forum or any other forum. If you must include a link the best practice would be to thoroughly explain what that link is. Mods spend untold hours deleting spam from forums so chances are that if something looks like it could be spam it will treated as such.

I'm glad we got your IP and user name back. Good luck with the question that you were originally asking.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:20 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Now that you mention the vold.stab thing, it may have been me that reported it. When i registered for Android tablet forum, part of the rules was that you couldn't post links for the 1st 10 posts or something. That would solve alot of the spam problems. Maybe something to look into.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:46 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

You might look into the forum settings and see if there is a way to prevent users from posting links until they have made XX number of posts. Just make sure that this setting also looks at signatures, I've seen this happen after a forum implemented a no link for XX posts rule. You need to look at email address auto linking too, that was the next thing that started happening. As well as images and being able to use them as a link.

No matter what you can't stop the spam and still let real users in to discuss topics. Another forum I used to go to made the filters so strong that I can no longer get in with Firefox, after reporting the issue using Internet Exploder and now months later and Firefox still won't allow me to go in. So striking the fine balance between users and spammers can be a difficult one.