Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:52 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Just my 2 cents
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hey everyone, I am newly signed up to the forum but having been coming here and reading posts for about the last month or so on a fairly regular basis.
I signed up to this forum specifically because most of the posts / responses are fair, knowledgeable and everyone seems to be generally well behaved.
Anyway, to get to the point.
I ordered the Archos 101it two days ago and I should have it in my hands by tomorrow. It is my first tablet and my second Android device. I have taken my time in buying a tablet because firstly, Im not the type to just jump on any band wagon and secondly I wanted to make sure the item I purchased would actually do what I require.
Not having much to spend on what is basically a new toy I decided to go with something low to mid price range. I ordered the 101 from http://www.expansys.com/ (I am not connected to them in any way).
I have done my time as a PC technician blah blah blah... So, far from being a guru I know my way around and can fix most anything.
I have read a lot of posts here, usually more complaints than anything else, but all in all it seems like most people are happy with their Archos device.
Regarding Android, the actual OSs (I refer to them plurally) are different OSs. There seems to be a common misconception that most devices can just be continuously upgraded to the next iteration of Android. This is not the case. Reading other Android specific websites, we should all know that there are specific hardware requirements on a device to run a specific version of Android. Although device specific updates might be release by the manufacturer, this is irrelevant, think of those more as patches (again, for that specific device). The Android 2.1 / 2.2 you have one one device might not work at all, if you had to take it and plonk it on to another Android device just because it says it is running 2.1 / 2.2. Windows comes under different names, but they are also numbered in series. But to make my point clearer (and yes, I am over simplifying here), you could take XP install it on one machine and get it working, but put it on another machine with totally different hardware, or "unsupported" hardware and it will not work, or it will after being patched and relevant drivers being installed.
Secondly, Android occupies so little space because it does not come filled to the brim with every known driver for every peripheral known to man like Windows / Mac does. Yes, we have a lot to gripe about regarding unsupported hardware, but I feel the blame here is on Google and not the manufacturer of your Android device. Thankfully there are very smart people involved in the Android community that find work-arounds or create apps to fill the gaps. Although, unfortunately it is up to the end user to actually find the solution to what they need.
Thirdly, I feel that most Tab users expect to use their tab almost to the degree of it being a laptop replacement. Once they realize that the device does not do exactly what they want the way they expect it to, then you hear of complaints and people saying the device is rubbish, etc.. Anyone should be allowed to use their device how they see fit, but I think a lot of those same people make their purchase blindly not researching exactly what to expect or what the device is capable of.
I think thats it for now and I look forward to getting my 101 very soon...
If anyone dis/agrees with anything I have said, lets hear it...

Post subject: Re: Just my 2 cents
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:14 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Ack.

The problem is, common sence is not common anymore.

Post subject: Re: Just my 2 cents
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:43 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Yup! It is what it is. And a PC it isn't.