Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:21 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:09 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi there everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a tablet for my 10 yo daughter and my price point is a firm $200(set by the boss ;) ). I was almost ready to pull the trigger on the Archos 70(Amazon) when I found a review pointing to this site, which had a review on one of the Arnovas, which eventually led me to this Arnova 10 G2(Amazon).

I've read tons of reviews but to be honest, they're so varied, that I often find myself reading complete contradictions from one review to the next. I'm hoping to get a tablet that's not locked into an obscure app store, is powerful enough to run simple games and is durable enough to handle respectful use with the occasional 10yo exuberance. Both seem to meet that, but Arnova seems like a better all-around tablet. Some of the Arnova tablets have rave reviews on Amazon, while others are 1-2 stars, making me wary to make the purchase.

If anyone could weigh in on the suitability of either of these for my needs(and maybe your preference), I would be very grateful!

Thanks for your time!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:17 pm 

Hi, I have both of them. There are some pretty big tradeoffs and it isn't clear to me which would be most important in your case. You might also look at the specifications web page for each model. For me, the lightness and functionality of archos70 beats the arnova big screen and small edge in speed.

Screen - the arnova has a poor quality screen which can often look washed out unless you pivot it to exactly the right angle. That said, some things like angry birds or stupid zombie games look perfect on the screen for some reason. Obviously the largeness of arnova's screen can be a help, but a70 is reliably clear and crisp.

Firmware - Arnova has a dumbed down version of android that omits features like screen passwords and is awkward to update on the rare times arnova offers that. Arnova has a more advanced generation of android (gingerbread) but thats rarely of much advantage except Arnova has configured room for more apps (painfully tight on the archos). Archos70 comes with all kinds of firmware options, and customized apps like a fantastic video player that handles almost any weird type.

Internal hardware - Arnova has a bit more speed and memory which seems to run games more smoothly. Archos 70 has an hdmi plug to display to your TV. Archos70 has stereo speakers facing front which gives good sound, and with it's kickstand can make a clock internet radio or whatever. Arnova has 1 cheap rear speaker that can even buzz.

App Markets - Both come with the limited appslib. Both will accept the amazon marketplace without too much trouble. Archos70 will install the fabulous google marketplace with the arctools app from appslib. Arnova will currently only install google market with drastic steps of replacing firmware with an unofficial rooted experimental version which nukes much of your appspace and could even brick the device.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:48 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I can't thank you enough for your reply. With your helpful information, I made the decision to go with the 70. I'm sure I'll be back with any questions I can't find the answers for while searching.

Thanks again for all your help!
json

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:08 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Wise decision :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:51 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks, I sure hope so :) I looked at so many reviews, I had begun to lose any ability to look at them objectively :)