Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:14 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: ARCHOS Key
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:19 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I was checking this out....it really might be the coolest device archos has made to date. Its pretty much an MP3 player flash drive...Brilliant! So innovative. So no cords, it has voice recording, radio, and an actual screen so i can see what music im playing. And it has 4 gigs....for like 35 bucks. I WANT one. Only draw back is that you cant attach it to your arm for workouts. I just cant get over the USB connector right there though, you can literally just plug it in and drag music onto it.

ARCHOS Angel

Post subject: Re: ARCHOS Key
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:44 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Don't get too excited. There is virtually no support info. I bought it because it has built-in FM transmitting. But over what frequency? I can't find out. Help.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:02 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Finally figured out the FM transmitter, but very disappointed there are no bookmarks. I listen to audiobooks daily, but without bookmarks, this device is not very useful. I hope they will add this later. Can't believe there is no user guide for this device.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:42 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Is it me, or does this thing transition really slowly between songs?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:20 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Do you know how to change directories on Archos Key?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:52 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Barry,
Did you figure out to operate the transmitter? I bought 4GB Archos key last week. The operation manual is a sheet of paper which is of no help. Many functions are missing in it. Still trying to find out about the transmitter. Can you please help?

[email protected]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:35 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

To access the FM transmitter - press MUSIC - then hold down the V/T button - select ON - this gives the default frequency of 87.5 - adjust with - and + keys - press M to escape back to Music.

There seems no way to save the frequency - it defaults to 87.5 each and every time you turn the unit on. This is bad design!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:47 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Maybe its just I'm missing something, but I put an 8GB micro SD card in my " key" and transferee 7.5GB of music to it using windows media player "sync" and I can only listen to find 20 or so track to listen too. Formatted it last night and resynced it now only the first 16 tracks are available WTF any advice guys?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:10 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

could somebody tell me, does archos Key support FLAC file format ?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:38 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

So I've just bought this mp3 player. The sales blurb says that you can use it on linux as a mass storage device. When I plug it in I'm told that the file system is not reckognised. From a little googling around it seems that other archos products you need to change to mass storage class before connecting it to the pc. I can't for the life of me work out how to do that for this product!

Can anyone please help?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:58 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Can this player display TXT files?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:44 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

You can use ON/OFF switch plus play to make a bookmark and lock the transmit FM frequency.Next time when power on, you will easy reach the bookmark and transmit with the same frequency.I try it today.
When you want to turn off the MP3 player,just hold Play button and switch ON/OFF to OFF.Then it remember
This function mentioned on the single sheet instruction, marked number 3.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:40 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Just purchased my archos key and like the previous posters find what are laughingly called the instructions far from adequate. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to change between modes, ("music" etc.) without turning it off and on again? I tried using the M button for "displaying available options", but this just displayed options within that mode. Plus, does anyone know what the "files" mode is for?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:49 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Just received it today. Here's what I found so far:

Press and hold play at any time to power off/on (when switch is on)

File Navigation:
Hitting play on Music starts from the first file
Hitting left when Music is selected brings you to FILES. Hitting Play on files opens the file browser. +/- navigate up/down in the current directory. Play opens folders/files, M goes up one level.

During Playback:
Press and hold V/T to bring up the RF radio broadcasting option. Switch to on then hit play to go to channel choice. Use +/- to choose your frequency, then press play
+ is next file
- is previous
Tapping M (relatively quickly) brings you back to the main menu
Holding M gives you playback menu, where you can adjust the equalizer, playback (repeat one/all/folder, shuffle all/folder), play rate, and go back to folder navigation

Hope this helps

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:57 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Oh and for those of you who haven't purchased this yet expect ~2MB/s transfer rate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:53 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hey guys, I'm thinking about to buy the Archos Key, but I just wanna know before, if it's possibe to repeat the last song (by skipping back manually) if I'm in the shuffle-modus. Can anyone here tell me something about it? Would be great! Thx a lot! :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:18 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

To Vegha : no Flac support. MP3/WMA only.

OEM manufacturer : More Star Industrial Group Ltd (http://www.szimp3.com/).
Product reference seems to be: MP2009 (http://www.szimp3.com/products_info.asp?pid=13)

My Archos Key has firmware "FW:00.51.00", I wonder if there is new ones available (from other rebranded products for example).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:42 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi guys, I'm having a major issue with my Archos Key: I can't connect it to any computer anymore.

Recently, I upgraded my computer from XP to Windows 7, and when I first plugged it into the new system, it went "device couldn't be recognised, error during installation blah blah". Since then, it doesn't show up ANYWHERE, neither on my Ubuntu system nor on my family's other XP computers. Not even a tiny "Hey, uh, I found something, but I can't quite make anything of it" BLING sound that plays whenever you plug in any USB device.

On a rather unrelated note, I can't seem to find the shuffle function mentioned elsewhere. Seems like it just doesn't exist, but that's not my biggest problem right now.

Does anyone experience similar problems?

I'm a huge fan of Archos, and I wouldn't want to see my image of them shattered. I own a Gmini 402 camcorder too, which survived a massive cloudburst in the Scottish Highlands (it literally drowned in my backpack) and a few half-meter or so drops; and yet it continues to live on well beyond its original warranty.

Best regards,
zylix

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:34 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Some comments on the Archos Key and various previous posts based on my 2 days of ownership.

As others have mentioned product is a great but lack of documentation is a serious drawback. Here's some tips I found and comments regarding others posts.

There are very many undocumented features in the unit but you have to hunt on your own to find them. ATTENION ARCHOS - At LEAST A MENU TREE WOULD BE HELPFUL TO KNOW WHERE EVERYTHING IS.

FM Transmitter Hints
On my unit TRANS. does not function if the earbuds are plugged in (undocumented). The volume has to turned up considerably louder than your earbud listening level to transmit. Range is extremely limited. Start with a digital tuner clock radio or portable radio that you can get the archos close to and tune it to a clear/empty frequency. I haven't gotten it to function with a car radio unless the unit is held next to the car's outside antenna. The transmit freq/station on my unit appears when you turn the transmitter on by holding down v/t and then darkening "ON" . Immediately using the - or + changes the frequency and on mine each time I turn the transmiter on it has held the last frequency entered. ED NOTE: If you are buying the unit primarily for the FM Transmit function I think you will be disappionted. It was a nice to have for my use but really isn't very functionally if you can't use it with your car radio.

Some one asked about repeating a song and you can hit the left or right keys (actually labeled (- / +) to go back or forward through songs. Hidden in those pesky menus there is a repeat icon that I found and have lost again. (menu tree please) The ARCHOS key does not really seem to shuffle my music it just plays through in the order the tracks are on the disk but does find all the tracks regardless of nested folders that they have been copied to. Ripped CDs with artist and title information will appear on the screen. If you pause the song with play/pause key, and then turn unit off by holding the play pause key down. You can return to your same spot in the play list buy turning the unit back on just by pressing the play pause button again.

Buy using the Folders menu you can scroll down through your folders a find the track you want to listen too. Then press play key. I've arranged a folder for each artist so that so by using folder menu I can listen through that Artist's CDS. You could of course set up folders by music genre jazz, cw, soul, and then set up your own shuffled play list.

I bought the unit to use on a beach vacation so I'll have some time to work through all the functions and the features of the ARCHOS Key. Maybe I can publish and sell a badly needed manual!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:19 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello,

One important note. Do not leave the charging MP3 player in the USB connector after computer power-down otherwise the built-in accumulator of the player will quickly discharge through internal computer circuits.

Rostislav Lapshin