Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:34 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: 104 wont respond
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:19 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi All
This is my first post, so please excuse me if i do or say something wrong. I am an OAP and have a 104 that i have had for some years. I saw firmware upgrade so did it and half way through it failed, and now i cant get anything out of it. All it will do is keep clicking with the odd whire from the hard drive. The screen displays a egg timer, or the red 104 start sceen but wont go any further, but i cant even get my pc to reconise it. Have tried all the usual things like reset, but nothing works and all i want to do is reformat it, but unless i can get into it i may have to throw it away. I have contacted Archos and they said as it out of waranty there is nothing they can do, not very impressive.
All i want to know is, are there any tricks to get into it so i can reformat, it is 6 yrs old so i dont hold out much hope, but anything would be appreciated.
Many Thanks
Bazzamer

Post subject: Re: 104 wont respond
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:57 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for the reply, but as far as I can see your links have nothing to do with my problem, only advertising and I think you have joined the wrong site.
As to my problems, it seems that many other users have all had the same problem, the device worked fine until you try to update it, then it never works again. I personally think that Archos should be held totally responsible for this as there must have been as problem with the software, and I think they should sort it out. I know device is 6 yrs old, but it was working fine untill I tried to update.
Why don't we get some sort of petition going. I am not sure how others feel but I am so angry as to why this has happened with no solution. Archos answered my email by just saying its out of warranty, I know this, so I sent another asking how much it would be to repair it, they never replied. It seems they may have a problem and it should be sorted, as it does not give you much confidence in there products.
Anybody with a view on this I would love to hear from you.
Many thanks
Bazzamer

Post subject: Re: 104 wont respond
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:46 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I don't have any good news for you, sorry. I also have a 104, the design is now pretty old since it uses a microdrive inside. Todays players are all flash memory at this size which should be far more reliable, though a firmware failure has naturally nothing to with the storage medium. Archos do not really repair, they swap for a working version mostly, so at this length of time they cannot do this for anything comparable and will not be interested - more a function of our "throw away" consumer society rather then them per se. Personally I got a Samsung YP 8GB to upgrade the 104, perfectly fine player with many more digital sound tweaks. Cheapest at the moment would be a 4G Archos Vision which you can get for less than £20 delivered - if you are still happy to stick with Archos that is!