Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:28 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:14 pm 
Hi,
I just got a 404 with the travel adaptor for use with a helmet cam, and was appalled that the travel adaptor doesn't come with a DC power adaptor. :x

There's no way I'm going to spend another $30 to purchase something I probably already have several of at home. Can anyone share the specs of the Archos "Additional Audio/Video Power Adapter Charger"? I'm guessing 5V, which this topic suggests, but I'd like to be sure.

Thanks in advance!
erikt

Post subject: AC mains charger for 404
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:31 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

All Gen 4's are the same in power needs....my 604wifi is indeed 5 volts and the charger is rated at 2.0Amps. (By the way, I also use 1.6 amp chargers from my older Archos AV420's which also work just fine.)

The "central hole" of the plug is positive and the exterior of the plug is negative (according to the diagram on the back of Archos charger's transformer/main body bit).

So you now have all you need to buy/find a charger!....and yes I agree that the Travel Adapter is a very expensive item not coming with it included. For the novices reading, the mains AC charger only comes with Docking Station and DVR Station (but will plug into all three.)

I think they call it "Marketing"...I know what I call it! :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:54 pm 
Thanks for the quick reply and the precise answer! I'll double check the polarity of the various 5V adaptor's I have at home and give it a go.
Cheers,
erikt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:51 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Andy W wrote:
and yes I agree that the Travel Adapter is a very expensive item not coming with it included. For the novices reading, the mains AC charger only comes with Docking Station and DVR Station (but will plug into all three.)

I think they call it "Marketing"...I know what I call it! :evil:

I actually think that not including the USB ports on the DVR Travel Adapter is the bigger... "marketing" move than the charger. The travel DVR is too damn expensive on its own, and one of the main reasons I bought the 404 for is backing up photos from my digital camera on the go... I can't carry the Docking Station around and I didn't get it, so right now I lack DVR capabilities, and if I buy the Station, I'll have TWO accessories that serve as USB adapters, TWO chargers, TWO sets of AV cables etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:45 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I agree. I've posted before on this but really either the capability should have been in-built in Gen 4's (as it is on my older AV420's...and electronics shrink every year so surely they could make it fit).

Or, if they really needed a Docking/Travel Adapter why not have one which combines all functions/sockets/leads of the Docking and Travel Adapter together. Then, that would be good for "travel" and the all singing and dancing DVR station for those that want the extra connectivity (with the penalty of loss of portability) for "home".

Basically the Marketing men saw a way to make money 3 ways when zero, 1 or two were possible. Yes, yes I know it makes the initial entry price more attainable but let's face it, this is a luxury toy (and nothing more than that) that was so close to being great but ruined by lack of vision...and guess who pays....

Post subject: Alternative Charger
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:55 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

How about using a older style blackberry mobile phone charger, they had USB connectors and you could use the sync cable to charge while on the move.
The new ones are no good as they now have a moulded cable on the power supply.

I use one for a lot of USB charging, like my wireless mouse.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:30 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

In the 604 archos forum people recommend using a powered USB hub.

http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?t=1662

That way you can charge your Archos 404 from any power outlet! USB hubs are considerably cheap nowadays and they will charger faster than your computer charges your archos 404. Read the linked thread for more info!~

update: If you purchase from belkin.com, you can enter a coupon code that'll give you roughly 40% off your purchases.

Coupon code 12345