Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:03 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:35 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Recently bought a used 404 30g. Original owner must have had the expanding battery syndrome. I opened the back and discovered that the four metal screw tabs were damaged but the battery was the original. It was on it's last few charges and I've already ordered another. The fix will be simple.

Here is where I seek advice:

I want to use the 404 as a digital library. I can link it to a Sony Blu-ray (BDP-s270) with a USB while docked in the DVR Station. I can output the audio through the SVideo output on the DVR Station into the SVideo input on my stereo.

Any 404 owners see any trouble here? I've read posts about units overcharging while on the station. Archos had to have designed the units to remain in the docks for extended time as the docks have much connectivity and seem made for this task ahead of the curve.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:59 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Do you mean the SPDIF output for digital audio? The Svid is a picture only signal. Naturally via usb you will use the converters in the external gear to get analogue audio.

I use a 160G 504 for the same purpose with the SPDIF into a high quality DAC and then the main hi-fi. I have well over 300 CDs as uncompressed wave files on the player and a video run to the other end of the room to a 7in portable LCD TV to see what's playing on the screen easily. A 320G portable 2.5 drive plugs into the base station usb with more CDs as wave files.

I once asked the same question to Archos and they replied the units were designed to sit on the base station permanently with just a trickle charge once full. Personally I don't leave my 504 on the station all the time, only when I use it.