Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:09 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:31 am 
I am definitely a Newbie and have barely unpacked my 404, charged the battery, and read the doc. I bought it mainly as a picture viewer to keep my photos with me when travelling. Before downloading (some of) my library, I am trying to figure out the best way to do this. I have lots of .jpg's, most 3 mb or 4mb each, and I use Picasa to manage them.

My Q's:
I don't see any need to download such large .jpg's to the relatively small screened 404. What's an optimal size that doesn't compromise quality?

Is there a way to use Picasa to do the downloads and retain it's album characteristics, and perhaps do this resolution adjustment at the same time? I have posted albums to the web and Picasa essentially does that for the web.

If no Picasa, how is it done with Media Player?

Any input welcome. I hope these Q's aren't too dumb, but they are coming from a new user.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:17 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Yep, these things are pretty good as photo viewers.

The 404's screen is 3.5'' TFT (320X240 pixels) 4/3, over 16 million colors
http://www.archos.com/products/video/ar ... al&lang=en

Unless you plan to view these on a TV, you can resize all you photos very easily to 320x240, or a bit higher if you like to zoom in on them. I have Picasa too, and I love it.

What I suggest you try is connect your 404 to your computer and set it to PC Hard Drive mode, and in Picasa select/highlight a group of photos as many as you like, and click on the Export button. Set your 404\photos\ as the output directory, and select the resize option to whatever you want.

Once its done, disconnect it safely, and you should be done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:00 am 
I use 800 pixels, "normal" compression.

This gives a reasonable file size, good look on Archos, and looks decent if projected on a big screen.

Windows Media Player is rubbish :(