Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:37 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:58 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have one of those devices that connects 2 USB devices without using a computer. Mine is called the Smart X Copy. It works great copying pix from camera to flash drive, or flash drive to flash drive. I was trying to copy pix from a flash drive to the "photos" library on my 404, but it wouldn't copy from the 404. I used the "use as hard drive" mode on the 404, but no dice.

Does anyone have any idea how to make this work? Thinking of using while traveling.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:30 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

never tried your device, does the 404 "USB cable attached, buttons temp disabled" screen appear? If not maybe there is an incompatibility between the controller chips in the 2 devices that prevents recognition.

But I have backed up many photos over the years to the 404 just using the standard docking adaptor, which gives usb host functionality, and a card reader.

Because of the stupid design of the end of the docking adaptor (with a pointless plastic tongue sticking out) I got some "stick" type usb2 readers for SD, CF and XD with rounded ends which fit, not too difficult to find, otherwise get a reader that comes with a short usb extension cable.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:14 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Yes, that message about "USB cable attached, buttons disabled" appears and that's probably why the Smart XCopy device doesn't communicate with the 404. I guess since they won't talk to each other, I can't use the xcopy to transfer pics to the 404. It's too bad. If I'd been designing the 404. I would've put a USB port on it so one could put pics on it with a flash drive or a card reader....But they didn't ask me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:15 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Sorry, I meant to ask, how do you use the docking station to transfer pictures?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:19 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Hi, no my docking stations stay hooked up to TV and DAC/Hi-Fi.

On the road I use the little docking adaptor, picture here (don't need power supply with flash card readers).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keyw ... otceamjf_e

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:12 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I never noticed the USB A and USB B ports on the docking station til you mentioned them. I have tried every cable I have, every stick drive I have, and every card reader I have in the USB A port and nothing fits. You said you used a stick drive card reader. Pray tell how you connected? Because I can't!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:03 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

as I wrote before, the A port has a pointless plastic side lip that serves no useful purpose, except to prevent lots of wide readers fitting, thus making you have to search for a case style that is compatible instead of just having a flush socket that everything can plug into. Undoubtedly one of Archos' more stupid decisions... however you can find readers that fit. I use this:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product ... _id=102820

for SD/SDHC, and a similar one for CF and XD. They are not the fastest on the market, but faster than the 404 host speed, so not a bottleneck on the move, and are very cheap.

Otherwise many "universal" readers are supplied with an A to miniB cable for connection (miniB is on the reader), and there is no problem with a standard usb A plug into the host socket. Or as I mentioned before a short usb extension cable enables any reader to fit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:31 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Well, "curiouser and curiouser" as Alice in Wonderland said. I looked at the "A" port on the docking station again and just on a whim, pushed up on that metal part that has the "up" arrow on it, and lo and behold, now, every USB plug I've got plugs neatky into it! Geeze, why does everything have to be so difficult?

Okay, so the 404 is connected to the docking station. The card reader with an SD card containing pix is pluged in to the USB A port. Now I'm at a loss as to how the pics on the card can be transferred to the 404's "photos" directory....What button will make that happen? Can it even happen?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:49 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

the plastic lip I'm talking about is on the mini docking adaptor, the full size docking station does not have the problem.

ok, if the 404 is on the docking station, plugging in a usb slave like a flash drive etc should bring up the double browser in the screen, with the external device on the left and the 404 file structure on the right.

navigate on the right to the folder on the 404 you want to copy to, switch to the left pane with the lowest button, navigate to the folder or file (or root of whole flash card) you want to copy and choose the copy, copy all files or move commands from the menu, according to what you want to do.

remember you can copy both ways, ie backup 404 contents to a slave device too, if that is what you want to do.

the big advantage of this is the archos screen where you can see what you doing much clearer than a usb on the go box.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:52 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

OK, I do get both panes, but neither my flash drive nor my card reader is shown in either pane. I took a picture of the 404's screen showing what I'm talking about, but I don't know how to display this picture in this forum.

I don't suppose anyone would believe I'm an advanced computer user, based on my posts, but I'm obviously NOT an advanced Archos 404 user!