Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:40 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:39 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello,

My son has a 404 camcorder version that had an expanding battery. We didn't realize the problem until the case cracked and the unit no longer worked. After reading through the forums I'm seeing I might be able to just replace the battery and have it work, but I'm also wondering if there is a way to hook up the hard drive to a computer and pull the data off of it. The data is very important to him, but not worth paying a recovery service. Is it possible that a drive enclosure like this would work? Or what else would you recommend?

http://www.amazon.com/1-8-inch-Enclosur ... B001OYCJHI

Also, what batteries do you recommend for the camcorder version. I saw a battery recommended on the board, but it said it wasn't for the camcorder version.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:27 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

these people do a camcoder battery

http://www.newmp3technology.com/404-cc-battery.htm

alternatively they come up on ebay occasionally.

if the drive has not suffered any physical damage from the pressure of the expanded battery it should be readable in an external enclosure. The standard 404 uses a hitachi 1.8" zif style HD, you'll have to check the camcorder is the same, it probably will be.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:32 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

From what Roy reported about a coworkers 404 you should remove the battery ASAP, and be careful as it could burst. This battery should work. If the battery is too big, you could still use it just for recovering the files.

From what I've read the 1.8" drives don't really have a standard pin-out and they vary by brand, and I'm not to sure about the enclosure from Amazon as it lists incompatible brands. (Toshiba is, as far as I know the only other brand that uses the same pin-out as Hitachi, not Seagate or Samsung) If you do want to get a enclosure, this one should work. (I actually have the same enclosure, but the one I bought was for IDE and not ZIF.)