Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:28 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: A possible Recovery fix
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:53 am 
Hi all,

I don't usually do this but I felt compelled to post this message a because I am utterly disgusted with the customer service I have received from Archos. Im sure that most of you have received good support from them but from my personal experience it has been way below the standard for a product of this calibre.

Anyways enough of the negatives and onto the positive. I turned my Archos on one day and found that I had a System Damaged Recovery message screen prompting me to either reformat or repair or do nothing. Of course as most of you should be aware none of these options do a bloody thing. So I got on the web and searched around and also contacted Archos.com for some technical help. They replied to me with a three line rant about how they were not responsible for the repairs and I had to contact the place of purchase. I thought that was pretty slack of them but contacted my place of purchase and they replied telling me to contact Archos for assistance. So I contacted Archos again and they gave me the same "bull plop" excuse that it was not their responsibility for repairing a product that was theirs.

So at this stage I am a little annoyed and as I mentioned above I started searching the net for answers. What I found was that most people with an Archos were experiencing this fault as well. So I decided to investigate the issue myself.

I opened up my Archos by removing the four screws on the left side. I also took the battery off and removed the two screws in the middle that held the HDD cover on. I removed the HDD cover which exposed the HDD. Immeadiately I saw a potential issue that in the end was the problem. The HDD has a small ribbon cable that slots into a ribbon socket on the PC board under the HDD. (Just lift up the HDD and you will see what I mean) This cable had come out and prevented the HDD from booting up. So I reinserted it and ensured that the black cable locking mechanism was nice and snug. I tested it before I put all the coverings and screw back on and it all works fine.

This may be the issue for most of the problems I have read about so if you think yourself to be a little tech savvy then it wouldnt hurt to give it a look.

Hope this helps some.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:04 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Great info. Thanks for posting it. And by the way, your experiences with Archos Customer Support are pretty typical from what we hear. Charbax recently asked them directly (at an interview at IFA) about Customer Support and was told it's "working great" or something like that. We ALL know it's definitely not working/a big issue with this company - Talk about Archos burying their heads in the sand....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:32 pm 
This worked for me too - whilst the cables appeared to be firmly connected, I pushed the plastic "lock" firmly home and the 604 was fine again.

Incidentally, it is not necessary to remove all four screws on the left, as only the two nearest the back of unit hold the hd cover in place, you also need to remove the two the other side near the stand/battery pack.

Many thanks for this tip - after reading the forums I was somewhat fearful of the expense and time it might take to get an RMA and get the 604 back.

I was getting the Code 2 and Code 1 error messages prior to doing this and my suspicions about the hard disk were aroused by no red indicator flickering when turning the 604 on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:52 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

i had exact same problem back in august and rerpostioning the cable is exactly how i fixed it, before that i had opened it to see kind hdd, and even at that time npticed not seated perfect so this might actualy be a assembly issue, also since i properly seated the cable i find the recovery screen and the reset button acttualy work now.
maybe this should be come a sticky topic for when others suffer non working reset and recovery menu's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:02 pm 
I want to try this solution, but I do not know the screw that opens up the hdd cover, it is a torque screw but what size?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:42 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

My troubles started with the 504 refusing to boot, then it booted once and came up with the FAT corrupted error; then when I rebooted it came with the recovery code 2 error.

Today I followed the instructions in this thread for my 504 160 gb. Still no luck, though I don't get the recover (code 2) error; I just get the black screen with archos written but no further progress; and the red LED for hdd activity stays lit constantly.

For what it's worth; there was a thick sticker that stuck on top of the hdd and the locking latch, that got bad when I took apart the hdd, I have thrown that away, don't think that should be the problem. Is there any way to get out of this jam? I have a lot of recordings on here I don't wanna lose, I tried the reset buton too but no luck. Can I somehow recover my data?

AMK

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:45 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks phil'
i had the same problem and thanks to what you had put i followed that and fixed it' no thanks to the archos support team' they are hard work' it's people like you that fix this sort of thing'not archos so once again thanks for having the same problem with yours or mine would not be working ...
trev..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:19 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

just to say... i just did this with mine when i had recovery (code 2) and it didn't work... however, i'm not so hot on electronics so maybe i've done something wrong... t have an archos 604

i took off the hd, and then the ribbon cable was out. i placed it back inbetween the white and the black parts of where it's supposed to fit, and then replaced the battery and tested it out. still got the same error code. i made sure that everything was a snug fit and still nothing...

it'd help if someone would offer a picture of how the ribbon cable fits into the pc board cause i think mine's too far out. of the draker 'end' of the cable, should the entirety of the dark bit be inside the plug or should some still be visible?

edit...

ok... i was doing it wrong... i was supposed to put it under the black thing as well... *wipes brow* phewwwww lol... there's no end to how happy i am now XD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:27 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined up here just to say - big thanks - followed your advice to the word (even tho the cable didn't look dislodged I gave it a shove) and the problem was fixed.

BIG YOURSELF UP FELLA.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:03 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for the tip. I had dropped my 604 and got the dreaded Recovery Code 2 error. Googled and found this thread.

Tried it and after a bit of trouble (had to reset the unit to get it to power on again), everything is back up and running.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Phil,

you made my day. I had the exact same problems as you : terrible support from Archos, and ... same recovery error!
Thank you for this very helpful post!

Michele

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:04 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

You are the Man!!!. I just received my Archos today to take on holiday in 2 days time. It gave me this error out the box. I was gutted. Googled your post and through your guidance put hdd cable in and that was it. I noticed the metal screw connector under the case with the 4 holes in it(so the screws have something to burrow in were the wrong way round, this may have caused the hdd to wobble free out the cable. I reversed them and screwed it in properly. So maybe watch out for this?

Thank you so much, i could not stomach sending it back with no chance for taking it on my hols.

You have also made my day, i hope that karma sorts you out.

BIG THANKS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:21 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I gave this a try and no. My original problem is still there. I turned it back on after playing with the strip and it booted up. I was about to congrat myself when Recover (code 2) came up again.

I'm just going to throw this away I guess. Unless someone is able to trouble shoot my problem. I just sent in my problem not that long ago and no one has answered or gave ideas yet. I was happy to find this thinking it would work. When I opened it, the strip was fine. I pressed on it and at one point it came out and I cursed for a while but got it back in (i think. Its under the black plastic bar thing and the tape is back over it) but now it loads adn goes right to recovery (code 2)
PLEASE help me. I really dont want to throw this out but god. It's pissing me off now.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:51 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

My Archos is 3 years Old.
I was getting only the archos screen and if i waited a while the help screen saying ( code 2 ) enz.
Try cleaning the pins of the battery and player with a eraser.

Worked for me. ( problem maby oxidation on the pins of the battery Or the Harddrive kabbel )

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:51 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

i tried it, on two archos, yes to reseating the hd, and ensuring it reboots and reads

1 archos 604wifi asks to be connected to pc, I put the file on it.. and after done... its still goes back to code 2.

I can read , write and replay via windows vista the files but thats all Code 2 stays.. help?

2. archos 604 that one comes up with error code 2 but after format, repair it wont even come with the message load update file from pc.. so... dead brick

Help anyone? I love this gadget

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:58 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

can any of you guys tell me how to fix mine i dont know what to do i opened the hard drive an cant find what you guys are saying please help