Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:40 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:38 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

After looking around for a screen protector, I was outraged by the price of these things ranging in price from $6 plus shipping on Ebay to $20 at my local electronics store.

The one that came with the 604 WiFi is still good, but It has developed a few scratches over 3 months so I decided to look around for an alternative and here is what I came up with.

I went to the local Wal-Mart store to the fabrics department and looked around for some clear vinyl. They had about 6 spools 4 feet wide. The difference between them all is thickness. I decided to purchase 1/2 a meter of the lightest gauge which is still a little thicker than the screen protector that came with the 604 WiFi. You can buy it in smaller amounts, but I had a few other projects to make protectors for (cellphones, touchscreen remotes, touchscreen computer screens and other mp3 players)

I cut out a small square about the size of the 604 with scissors . I then placed it over the 604 screen and took a fine marker to carefully trace out the screen size. Now for the hard part, getting straight cuts. I used a Photo paper cutter. You just lie it on the cutterbed and pull down the handle. You can use scissors if you don't have a cutter. If you make a mistake, don't worry, you have enough to make about 30 more :)

Now, test the screen protector for fit. Trim off any oversize. Make sure it fits without binding on any of the edges. Now to make it stick.

Take something small like a pen or stylus and dip it in some clean water and let a very small droplet of water hit the center of your wifi screen. Place the cut to fit protector over the screen and gently use a credit card to squeeze the water droplet and any bubbles out to the edges.
Let the water evapourate and it drys clear. Make sure you don't put anymore than a droplet.

If you were happy with the protector that came with the 604, then you will be really happy with this. It does not dent as easy looks invisable with the unit on, and I think the touchscreen is actually more sensative.

HERE is a Template to print out and use to cut the exact size needed for the screen of the 605. Let us know if it works for the model you are trying it out on.
Enjoy....Honeymonkey
TOTAL COST .99 Cents

Last edited by honeymonkey on Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:02 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Great idea. Thanks for posting. How does it do with fingerprints?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:29 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

SoCalYJ wrote:
Great idea. Thanks for posting. How does it do with fingerprints?
I don't have any. I never use the stylis, but rather got pretty accurate with my fingernails. If there is oil on my skin and I notice a print (which I never did till you mentioned it), I simply wipe it with my finger and it goes away. It seems to be the type of cover that does not attract prints. Been using it for over 2 weeks now...I'm sold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:22 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

what do you mean by water. you mean drop some water on the screen wouldnt this damage the unit if it goes under the screen. I have a 604 non-wifi but im looking for a solution for it.

Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:34 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

nootrak4 wrote:
what do you mean by water. you mean drop some water on the screen wouldnt this damage the unit if it goes under the screen. I have a 604 non-wifi but im looking for a solution for it.

Thank you.

If you read the directions, it says to just "dip" the stylist in water (just the tip). You will then touch the screen with the wet tip. It is a very small droplet. This droplet is then spread over the WHOLE screen under the screen protector you cut out. Once this little drop of water is spread out to the edges, you let it dry before use. So you can see, a little drop in the center of the screen is a less amount of moisture than if you sneezed on it :)

You don't spread it past the edge, so there is no way it will reach inside.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:41 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

And how sticky is this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:56 pm 
i just got the 604 wifi.
where can i find the screen protector that comes with it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:36 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

ofern wrote:
i just got the 604 wifi.
where can i find the screen protector that comes with it?

Its the thing that most people always pull off the screen when they open it up for the first time. I always leave mine in place. When you turn on the 604, that protective film disappears and serves as a great screen protector. I still have the one on my motorola razr I bought a year ago, and it still looks new.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:37 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

suproach wrote:
And how sticky is this?
If you are asking did it ever come off or an edge curl up in 7 months, then no

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:20 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Added a Template file in the original post to enable you to cut it out the right size the first time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:25 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Have you tried taking it off and putting on? Can you remove clean and put back on? No problem with adhesion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:39 am 
Archos User
Archos User

why a dip of water ? is this clear vynil isnt sticky ? a drop of water so it will be sticky ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:58 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

leorojas wrote:
why a dip of water ? is this clear vynil isnt sticky ? a drop of water so it will be sticky ?

The drop of water (very very small) seems to aid in it laying perfectly flat leaving a very transparent film. If you don't put the drop of water on and spread it out with a credit card, it not only does not stick as well, but it also does not look as good. Once it is on, mine has never fallen off. I only take it off to throw away every 6 months or so to put on another one. You just put your fingernail under one corner and it comes right off leaving it as clean as it was when you put it on in the first place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:31 am 

yep i second that, Ive been using this method to apply screen protectors since i first bought my 300, it helps remove any bubbles and makes a very clear contact without any problems with the thing falling off. I actually use a bubbles from washing up liquid when i apply mine as i find it easier to see any bubbles etc and makes it a bit cleaner (no pun intended) and needs less liquid.
roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:30 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Does the "screen protector" (clear vynil thing) is like the transparent pages used in projectors ? what i want to know is if the material is just a really thin plastic layer that isnt sticky at all ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:13 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

leorojas wrote:
Does the "screen protector" (clear vynil thing) is like the transparent pages used in projectors ? what i want to know is if the material is just a really thin plastic layer that isnt sticky at all ?
No, that material seems more rigid and "plasticy" This is a softer material. Just go to Walmart. You can buy enough of it to change your protector every day of your players life for 99 cents :) Its not a big investment to try it. If it doesnt work for you, you either have the wrong stuff, or not following the instructions. Pretty foolproof and I like it better than the high priced stuff (which I am sure is the same stuff in many cases)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:07 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Thanks for the information, and not from the states, but ill be there probably this december, ill buy that then and give it a try.

Cheers,
Leo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:21 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

leorojas wrote:
Thanks for the information, and not from the states, but ill be there probably this december, ill buy that then and give it a try.

Cheers,
Leo.

Got mine at Walmart Canada Leo. Just go to the area where they sell fabrics.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:16 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Does the 604 and 605 have identical screen dimensions?

If so, I may give this a try with your template 8)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:24 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have a iphone and have always had a screen protector on it. I usually take off the protector, wash it and blow it down with compressed air. but im sick of doing that.

I get clear book wrapping and trace my screen protector on it. then i cut it out and apply it.
I dont use any water. It works well. And is easy to put on and when it is pulled off the screen, all the oily marks are gone. the only problem is the screen looks a little bit funny, but i have gotten use to it.