Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:08 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:57 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi,

Hoping that someone here can help as I haven't been able to resolve this amongst the geocaching community directly.

I have a 604 wifi which I won about 3-4 years ago I'm guessing. I'm wanting to use it when I am away to log the caches I've found. In fact, that's the sole most important thing I want to use it for, so it's winding me up a treat.

I can connect to the internet OK. I can log into another passworded website that I'm a member of OK.

But when I try to log onto geocaching.com I put my logon details in the text boxes and press the "Submit" button (or whatever it's called ) to login and nothing much happens. I can see what looks like the button being depressed and that's it. It doesn't seem to be hanging, doesn't seem to be doing it but taking ages, doesn't change to a white screen or anything like that... I am just seeing the exact same screen.

Obviously, because I can't log on I can do anything on this site that involves submitting data. I have tried at Travelodge, McDs and Campanile, so clearly nothing to do with the wifi provider.

Last time I checked, which can't have been more than a few months ago, I was using the most up to date firmware. So I am stumped. I really don't have a clue where to go from here. Anyone have any ideas what I can do?

Thank you
mousytrap

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:40 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have had an email back from the techy bods that run that site. They say...

"I believe the problem is due to the fact that the Opera browser is not 100% compatable with Class A standards. Our site needs a Class A browser in order to log in. Your description sounds like its a Javascript issue at the log-in screen. You will need to speak with Archos and see if they offer an updated version of their Opera Browser for your device."

No reply from Archos helpdesk yet.

Does that mean I'm out of luck, or does such an updated version exist?

Do I have to bite the bullet and let my partner turn it into a Linux device??? (I don't know what he does but he has done that with an Ipaq before...)

mousy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:12 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Just for the record...

While I was away recently the text I was tapping in went all pear shaped... I found myself going into calibrate (far from the first time)... but this time I got fed up, because it never seemed to help, so totally lied about where the centre of the crosshair was...

Shortly after that, I find that suddenly I can log into www.geocaching.com with my Archos... Clearly where the button appeared to be and where it actually was were two completely different things...

Wish I'd thought to lie before...

mousy