Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:01 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:04 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I wote this for Avforums and thought it may be of interest here....

After months of deliberating over whether to get this or not I went for it and it arrived yesterday morning.

Accessories - The first charge took quite a while as it's via USB and not plug, not including a way to charge it other than USB is my biggest gripe as I will have to by some sort of accessory to enable me to do that so I can get it to charge a lot quicker. The kickstand will be very handy and the supplied case will do fine for now, though a bit tight - better that than have the player fall out though. It comes with two styli, the case, a USB lead and little else.

Music - it didn't retain all the tags and a few albums and artists were listed as unknown. One album, MP3 format, didn't play at all though it had no problem on my ZVM. I haven't done any background reading or uploaded any new firmware yet - hopefully some fixes will become apparent. Quality is great though I'm not that much of an expert n sound quality, I've always had creative players and I've always been more than happy with them. TBH, I bought this for it's screen size for videos and for WiFi.

Videos - I uploaded 3 DivX files and all of them worked fine. Having a ZVM which plays 99.99% of what I throw on I was worried the 604 may not be so good in that area - so far so good. The screen is fantastic - kind of strange getting excited about a 4" screen while sitting on the sofa in front of a 40" screen but for travel purposes moving from a ZVM to 604 screen is a huge improvement.

Photos - I uploaded 500+ but they didn't stay in folders and seem to have loaded in reverse order. I need to read the manual, which is loaded onto the actual player, and fid out how to do things properly. That aside they look great and the slideshow function works very well - I think less complicated transitions and therefore less frequent processing delays would be my preference.

Wi-Fi - it found my wireless router and after typing in the password I was connected in seconds. It's the first piece of equipment of mine that has ever connected to the internet so quickly! Once online I browsed with relative ease and after reading reports of sluggish browsing performance was delighted to be surfing at speed. I even posted to my Live Journal from it, which thrilled more than I should ever admit!

Menus/Controls - menus are very intuitive and I found myself flying round the player and changing settings with ease. The player is very responsive to both touchscreen and button controls. I was surprised at how well the touchscreen works when typing something at speed with the stylus. It highlights the character you select just long enough for me to process whether that was the character I intended to select.

Aesthetics - it's not that much bigger than my ZVM and when considering the screen size increase that's quite impressive. It's not as thick as I expected and it also isn't that heavy. It's a very nice looking player.

Overall - I am very pleased so far and glad I finally took the plunge. Apart from a few things which I need to research it has exceeded my expectations so far - playing video files with no fuss is always a great relief to me. I'm no expert, not by a long way, when it comes to electronics/gadgets, but I know what I like and this is just that, so far!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:26 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

excellent, glad you're happy with it.

actually, i'm sure a lot of Archos owners are happy with the product, but you're one of the few who actually make it known. I recall there being a poll on here and the majority of purchasers were satisfied, but it's obvious those who are having issues with the device will voice their opinions more adamantly and more often than those who are glad they "took the plunge" and have little to no problems with it at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:38 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I'm a happy camper too. The best feature IMHO is recording opensource Divx files from the satbox. Second best is playing back video to the tv. Even if only used as a sneakernet for those two functions it's great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:42 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

aha go my 2 stylii typing. its like using chopsticks :p

omg omg omg omg omg just got docking adapter today!!!!! soooo cool! its so much smaller than i thought it would b.. plus it charges sooo much faster. im so happy coz now i theoretically hav unlimeted storage for my 604wifi. cant wait to fill up usb sticks with movies

@ dirpsteve: as far as i kno the foto archive arranges file in order of date modified/created. so newer files r at the top.

PS- posting from my 604wifi !!!!!!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:28 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

dlrpSteve, You sound like you have time invested in gadgets. You just seemed to glide through your intro to the 604. ;)

Last edited by jazzman on Tue May 01, 2007 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:04 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Another 24 hours on and I have 25GB of media on it!

I worked out that if you access photos by exploring the drive rather going through the main pictures menu then you see the separate folders with the photos in chronological order.

Using drop and drag rather than WMP as a way to put files on the 604 is also a lot easier and quicker.