Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:10 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:42 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

i was just wondering how many people could still be using 604 wifi? i thought just the archos have stopped their support for gen 4. but now it seems like users them self are not much bothered about answering to different issues on 604 wifi?

why is this happening? has every body upgraded to 605?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 3:09 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

i think the 605 is really a downgrade. i love my 604. im replying to your post with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:22 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I use mine every day. Thankfully I have never had any issues with it since i got it (knock on wood) so Im not to handy at troubleshooting stuff with it yet... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:01 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

hah! finally i got some replies :)
i was thinking to delete this post.any ways thnx for both the replies.
i too just love my 604 w/f except that it dosen support flash :(
hope hackers would do some thing abt it ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:28 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I don't have a 604 WiFi but I like my 604 more then my 605 WiFi... and posted a thread about it in the 605 forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:22 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

i would like flash too. i want to be able to play warzone 3 on line at school. =D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:55 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

can someone tell me please i have the 604 and was going to buy the wifi for it but cant read anywhere what it does can i get on google,facebook,myspace and stuff like that please can someone answer that :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:22 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

:D i love my 604 wifi but i wish it had flash too. your 604 would have a bump just under the hardphone jack if it was a wifi. if not you cannot surf the web with it. sorry. :(

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:15 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

FWIW I'm still using my 604wifi. In many ways I prefer it to the 605. The battery life is better, you don't need a dock unit to get video out of it, and the volume is not as limited. And you don't have to pay extra for the Web browser.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:56 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

it's like an old muscle car haha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:46 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I log into my home wifi and also the wifi at a local coffee shop. I can get into google and check my email account. I haven't been able to login to msn or yahoo email accounts, don't know why. Also can't login to ATTwifi at Starbucks--it just doesn't accept my user name and password. I can login there from my laptop. I assume it's something about the Opera browser. Wish we could get an updated browser.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:51 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

i do the same. at home and at cafes. i try to get the wifi at school too but it is all ad-hoc or needs the WEP key. i can get to yahoo mail fine. took a few tries at the beginning but finally get it sorted out and i now just keep myself logged in to yahoo. i also would like a browser update. Firefox? anyone? flash would be welcome. :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:49 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I use mine to replace the dvd/vcr in my motorhome, and with an outdoor projector.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:22 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

WOOT !! GO THE 604 WIFI!!!

So far in my eyes, the archos 5 is not even worth considering, comparing it in its current state to my 604wifi!!

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:12 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

im less optimistic. the 5 would be welcome but if it is between my 604 wifi and paying 250+USD ill keep the 604. my 604 is doing very well. no problems what so ever and my firmware is still hackable!!! :D :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:47 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:11 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I still use my 604 WiFi. I have had it for about 2 years now and it has been fantastic. Does everything I need/expected it to.
I use it 99% of the time to play videos. I use the WiFi mostly for transfering files when I can't find the cable for it (like now).
I take with me on business trips to keep me occupied on the plane or during layovers. I have 2 extra batteries for it so I never run out of juice. I take along my DVR cradle and use it to hook up to the TV in hotels. With the advent of HiDef, most of the hotels I stay in are switching to HD TVs so the picture look great.
On layovers I take it out and watch a TV epsiode or something short. In flight I can watch at least one movie, depending on how far I am going. It's just so much easier than taking out the laptop.
I just got a 605 4GB unit that is really for using around the house for streaming from my Twonky servers. Since it doesn't have any way to change batteries on the fly, the 604 will continue to be my PMP of choice for trips. But I love them both and thinks Archos rocks. Never had to use Customer Service yet though and I really don't try and push the envelope on what they do.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:54 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I love my 604 WiFi. I got it the day it came out, and have used it every day since. I think i have now used every feature it has to offer, and its my everyday MP3 player.

I have the docking station setup at home, connecting my Sky(satalite) to my TV, so can record TV etc, aswell as using it to connect to my home network so i can play movies directly from my PC onto my TV.
I connect it up to my car stereo to use as a drive.

I also have the helmet camera and travel dock, which i use occasionally on holiday.

I've thought about upgrading to a 605, but they've complicated the buttons, and make you pay for everything as an add-on, and apart from the Flash, i can't see how the 605 is any better.

Long may my 604 WiFi reign as my ultimate gadget.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:01 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I got the 604 wifi when it came out and have been using it as my everyday mp3 player since. I also use the docking station quite often and watch movies and what-not through the tv.

If in a pinch, I've used the wifi internet, but I'm usually either at home or work with a pc and have a laptop and/or cell phone when travelling. It's a bit slow to really enjoy that aspect.

Wish they had thought of putting apps/games on it, but what ya gonna do!??

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:31 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I have two of the little buggers and still use them off and on. The real reason I got the second one is that I still had hopes at the time that someone would be able to hack them to run more software. But of course, Archos, being the lame non-supporter of OSS and Linux that they are,... has locked the device in hardware,... making the software useless.

They even denied for a while that the things even ran Linux, and finally only released the source code under pressure.

So my goal for the two devices is to use them as a kind of cripple-ware webpad/media player in conjunction with my LinuxMCE setup. Web-based "orbiter" interfaces for LinuxMCE *SHOULD* run under Opera,... making them somewhat useful. Plus, I'll be able to download ripped movies for them to take them with me on family trips. I just won't be able to use them as fully featured LinuxMCE/Pluto orbiters, because they have no Bluetooth and they run the cripple-ware Linux Archos put on them.