Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:45 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:52 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

bentzi wrote:
other than flash and java the ability to open a link in a new tab would be great. also, file downloads should be in the background, with some more info like speed and remaining time. add possibillity of going to end of website and start. make it possible to open a file without quiting opera. restore session is a must and also text copying

Tab browsing already exist. If you hit the menu button then goto tab then you can then go to a new location to scroll between tabs hit the left part of the menu key. Currently when you go to download something it will give you the percentage of the file it is downloading hit the left part of the menu to surf while something is being downloaded. If you want to close a tab you hit the menu key go to tab then move the arrow right to close then hit ok.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:16 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Mojorisin69 wrote:
bentzi wrote:
other than flash and java the ability to open a link in a new tab would be great. also, file downloads should be in the background, with some more info like speed and remaining time. add possibillity of going to end of website and start. make it possible to open a file without quiting opera. restore session is a must and also text copying

Tab browsing already exist. If you hit the menu button then goto tab then you can then go to a new location to scroll between tabs hit the left part of the menu key. Currently when you go to download something it will give you the percentage of the file it is downloading hit the left part of the menu to surf while something is being downloaded. If you want to close a tab you hit the menu key go to tab then move the arrow right to close then hit ok.

I know tab browsing exists, I was talking about when you are in one tab, and there's a link, you can't open it in another tab like you can in firefox. on the 604 you'll have to open the same page on two tabs and than click on the link on one of the tabs to get the same effect. Iwant archos to add this feature.
2) I tried to press the left part of the menu button, but it doesn't change anything, the downloading screen is still on top. and you can't go to other sites, or even click a link, while you are downloading

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:36 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Don't forget that this is not the full version of Opera's browser running here,... it's their middle version,... the one between full desktops and smartphones... So it's goig to be shy on a few features. Also, because we are running it on Linux, a version of Winodoze Media Player won't be available to run some streamed video...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:00 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

A few things I'd like to see:

Better Screen-Setting Controls:

-It'd be great to have more than 3 different brightness settings (something more like 10 or 100), and other settings like contrast and colour. My big hope is these might compensate, or at least help reduce, that cloudiness I see in videos especially noticeable for blacks.

-The Backlight Timeout doesn't seem to turn off the backlight; it seems to turn off the whole screen. This is something I would be happy to see differentiated as if I'm out in bright conditions and don't need it I'd happily just turn off the backlight.

Device Lock:

-When I lock my player I don├óÔé¼Ôäót want the volume changing in my pocket when I bend over or lean against a wall and have my ears blown off! (This has happened.) You can├óÔé¼Ôäót use the touch screen at all when locked and in the pouch it would be very difficult to activate that, as it├óÔé¼Ôäós set back in the player, yet the volume buttons work fine. I would like everything locked, maybe it could be optional for those who like it as it is.

The Browser:

-Password protection would be a nice feature; it's always nice to stop other people being able to use your stuff without you asking, especially if you have siblings! This would be great if you could apply it for the whole unit or just individual folders.

Music:

-Actual gapless playback! Maybe it├óÔé¼Ôäós just my player or just me but I do here a gap in the audio, it├óÔé¼Ôäós noticeable when you have an album that all the tracks lead into one another; basically it sounds like a miniscule skip but it├óÔé¼Ôäós there and it would be great if it was gone.

-Having a song stop when you rename it sounds reasonable but I don├óÔé¼Ôäót think re-naming a song that isn├óÔé¼Ôäót playing is! I would like to rename songs without having the one that├óÔé¼Ôäós playing stop.

Language Settings:

-According to the manual there is some sort of option to enable ├óÔé¼┼ôFar East Font├óÔé¼

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:59 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

it would be nice if the archos could translate an ascii key to the hex value, since alot of places have ascii and im a bit anoyed that i have to carry around with a pice of paper with the translation.

Post subject: Wishlist
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:44 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I really feel that the 604 WiFi is the player that could have been, but is not. For media playing it's top-of-the line. However, when you combine Wifi, wide-screen, internal hard-drive and touchscreen, the possibilities are endless. As for now, Archos doesn't even have a developer's kit out for it, nor any sign of one to come. Here's some features that would have made this unit so much more:

-PDA : Hello? Linux based system and they couldn't load basic PDA functions?

-PDA with Auto-Sync: Given a WiFi, the unit could periodically wake itself up, connect over Wifi, re-sync and shutdown. No need for "craddles", etc...

-Integrated stock tickers, weather status, etc.. Allow internet enabled custom tasks...

-Games... Games... Games... Lets face it, if you're using this for Video playing, then you're using it as a distraction. Tired of watching? Interaction would have been such a nice option...

-Gaim would be nice, but probably not practical given the required power consumption. However, e-mail is practicle since it only needs to wake up periodically to check for new messages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:42 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

t079 wrote:
i want to be able to browse the whole hard drive with the music/video browser.

I REALLY need that as well as adding the external (USB host) drives and the WiFi networked drives.

I keep all my music on an external drive, and it's useless since I can't add to a playing playlist unless the drive shows in the music browser.

Even better would be to be able to add a networked drive so that I could keep my music on a NAS and just browse to it with the 604, but in the music browser so I can use playlists and so on.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:54 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

SLingbox client... People who are willing to pay for slingbox would want a nice portable screen to watch it on...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:07 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

when you go back to the list of artists after listening to a song, go back to the same artist you were previously on

Example:
If a was listening to Pink Floyd,then I went back to the list of artists have Pink Floyd highlighted still instead of going back to the beginning of the list

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:15 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

UMMM....

Is there a moderator in the house??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:43 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Possible Bugs

1) Browsing a list of mixed .mpg, .avi, and .mp4 files on a network share directory - if you single touch on one of the non-avi files, it won't go to it but it will jump to an avi file. This is with purchased podcast and mpeg plugins.

2) Allow underscore in workgroup names (a legit character)

3) Allow spaces in a SSID (also allowed but causes errors on the 604wifi

Feature Wishes

4) Allow html files on the 604 hard disk to be loaded in Opera (may work but ARClib doesn't like the .htm extension)

5) Browser flash support (allows both YouTube and small Flash games to work)

6) Text / doc / other file browsing support

7) Direct connect of SD memory cards via USB or other. Direct connect of any USB mass storage device secondary

Love my player, keep up the great work

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:09 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

kitty wrote:

Feature Wishes

4) Allow html files on the 604 hard disk to be loaded in Opera (may work but ARClib doesn't like the .htm extension)

Could not agree more. Trying to convert my docs to pdfs, which take so long to load they are unusable is completly nuts when the 604 already supports html...allow us to access html locally please! This has to be so simple to implement that a 1.6.0.6 load could be up tommorrow!

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:30 pm 
A bit torrent client would also be great :idea: , considering the majority of movies and music on the internet is now downloaded using this protocol.

:D :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:24 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I understand so far, that there is no possibiliy to show the downloaded wikipedia files on any Archos Player in offline modus.
That is a poor outcome :cry:

Sorry Archos. That would be the most important function on your 604 Player and you forget to set up this reading function for zeno format and wikipedia.

Imagine the Marketing Branding" With Archos 604 - the world in your hand. Full-Wikipedia OFFLINE"

Please inform me:
muenchen_28@hotmail.com
if someone found a solution, to get it started.

Post subject: 604 Wifi net wishes
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:53 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Net Lan connection support, via USB/LAN adaptator ?,
to stream video, TV programm...

Post subject: Re: wishlist
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:40 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Mojorisin69 wrote:
NTSF so I can get large vob files on the archos
flash and java.

Please give us these 3 and I will be happy forever:)

Seconded on the NTFS/VOB one! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:48 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Since the 604wifi runs Linux and there is no read/write file support for NTFS available (yet - thanks MS :( ) it is unlikely that full NTFS support will come to the device.

If you use software to extract VOBs then see about a freeware package that takes a few extra minutes to make a xvid instead. Probably < 1GB, same quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:28 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I tend to just rip to vob files (using DVD Decrypter to keep them below 4GB) because although avi, divx etc all look fine on the Archos, the quality is definitely much reduced when you play out through an external TV.

As I intend to use the device for this sort of reason (when on business trips etc) I prefer to go with the quality even though I lose out on the number of films I can carry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:40 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Put in the ability to specify the transmit key (I am not talking about the WEP key) in the WiFi configuration screen. The lack of this currently prevents me from logging in to my wireless network or even browsing the Web.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:53 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Gildor wrote:
Put in the ability to specify the transmit key (I am not talking about the WEP key) in the WiFi configuration screen. The lack of this currently prevents me from logging in to my wireless network or even browsing the Web.

I asked somebody that know more about this than me and he said it was the ability to have more than one key that was missing. Specifying a transmit key only tells it to use one key for transmission but it uses all keys when receiving data. He also said that more than one key does not increase security so there is no reason to use more than one key. So the obvious solution for you is to only use one key.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next