Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:19 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:51 pm 
I have tried DVD shrink,
Windows media player,
The supplied software and probably 10 other programs including superc to get this to convert but th problem remains the same. It either hangs when taking the DVD file or it simply wont work on the archos.

Is there something out there that can simplify my life or a good writeup as to what to do, step by step?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

For the 504 and 604 devices, you don't need to convert if you have the Cinema plugin which adds support for Mpeg2, .vob and all that goes with that.

That plugin is not available yet, but should be available soon at archos.com

If not, you can encode to DivX using http://labs.divx.com/DrDivX and renaming the .divx extention to .avi, because I don't think that the .divx container is supported yet.

There is also AutoGK and DVDx which I use sometimes to backup my DVD rips to nice quality DivX.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:01 am 
I use the "ImToo DVD to Divx Converter 4.0" (USD $29 from www.imtoo.com), and it's easy as it can be. I selected the AV500 profile, stuffed in a DVD and pressed the 'Rip' button, and it produced an AVI file, at 480x272 resolution, 1200 kbps, MP3 audio. Averaged about 700MB/Hour of video.

If you download the trial, you can encode 5 minutes of any content, so you can see how easy it is to use. Highly recommended!

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:20 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I'm using the following:
1. CloneDVDMobile (US39 - Use 'yummy' coupon to get $10 off)
- The most idiot-proof sw & user-friendly software to use.
I select 480x270 (instead of 272) as its the only resolution closest to the a604.
- rips with subs and display subs on a604 successfully
- conversion is abt 55m of a 1.5 hr movie
- 70-85% CPU utilization

2. Iriver (freeware)
- as above but no selection for Archos. 3 x Resolution settings: 320x240, 640x480 and cant remember the other.
- conversion is abt 1:1 of movie duration
- CPU utilization 80-100%

3. divx encoder (www.divx.ppccool.com) is a memory guzzler..takes up -100% and nothing moves. Only use it before i have my beauty sleep (whats left of it).
- 100%; nothing moves. PC looks 'dead'.

4. Dvix Converter 6.2
- ok but playback on a604 with no subs though settings included subs.
Subs had to be manually turned on when playback on PC.
- 90-100% CPU utilization

5. Super
- unable to convert. Keeps getting error messages.

So, personally my best bet is #1. CloneDVDMobile & AnyDVD is a lethal combination! Slysoft updates its software very often.
Note that the above my personal observations based on my PCs home setup :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:39 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I've found dvdx to be the best all round dvd converter. It's free, rips straight from dvd, is far quicker than autogk, rips into divx xvid amongst others, and gives you lots of control over output. make sure you use version 2.4 if you want to backup copy protected dvds

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:32 pm 
I have used DVD Catalyst and it seems quite nice.

www.dvdcatalyst.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:35 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

After trying many, I am now using CloneDVDMobile. This program works great. The best part for me is the speed, it is soo much faster then the other program I have tried. I have yet to have any trouble playing any movie I converted using CloneDVDMobile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:54 pm 
For DVDS, = pocket DVD studio / works perfectly, no lip sync problems, like clone DVD mobile has!!

For mpg to avi = Pocket DIvx encoder..easy to use!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:20 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I am using the IMTOO converter (Platinum) along with the Guest posted a few posts earlier.

I downloaded the unregistered version (will only encode 5 minutes) and was thoroughly impressed with how many options I had.

After narrowing down Aspects/sizes until I had the full screen of my 604 being used I registered the product.

I am very happy with the results. On my Athlon 3800+ system it takes about 1.5 to 2 hours for a DVD rip. I do a couple a night and have 12 movies on my system right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:28 pm 
I also use CloneDVDmobile and find that the transfer is accurate and very quick - around 30-45 minutes on average.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:42 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I hate to ask this question but I simply dont' have the experience in converting files yet or am I familiar with any software that can encode.
Also, My Travel adapter hasnt arrived, so I'm somewaht limited as to what I can put on my 604. My question is, if I downloaded a movie from Cinemanow, can it be encoded using Dr. Divx to a divx file, then renaming that file ext to and .avi file. If this can be done, what mode do I select, portable, handheld, home theater, 1080HD mode or Handheld. Finally, I havent encoded anything yet but if I do is 1 hr and 23 mins an average amt of time to convert such a file. I appreciate any replies as I'm am very new at this. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Normally you should be able to transfer your Cinemanow video directly onto your Archos using Windows Media Player, and connecting your Archos to your computer using Windows Device mode which comes up once you connect up the usb cable.

The time encoding a movie to DivX takes depends on the quality that you need. If you just need quality that is good for the LCD, and if you don't really need to save the maximum of disc space to achieve a certain quality, then you can encode using Fast mode 1-pass or quality-based mode of the DivX codec, that can go very fast, at about half an hour or less per movie. If you prefer to make highest quality video, at around 1000kbit/s, at 640xSomething (depding on aspect ratio of the film) resolution, then you should encode 2-pass, insane mode and single bidirectionnal encoding, this will take 3-4 times longer than than 1-pass Fast encoding mode. Some encoding softwares let you choose the level of speed that you can encode using the DivX codec, basically a longer encode usually means it is making a better quality encode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:56 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I attempted to transfer the movie by way of Windows Media Player but kept getting error messages, that WMP couldnt sync this file. I tried several times but kept getting the same error message. I'm going to try and convert the file later today. Thanks again for your response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There might be different resolutions and bitrates at Cinemanow right now. The new Archos generation is said to support DVD resolution WMV, but it is to be checked.. Maybe you can search on Cinemanow for Archos specific videos or ask Archos if they support the full range of movies from Cinemanow.

You probably cannot encode it to another format since it is probably copy-protected WMV that you get from Cinemanow.

You might want to try faiuse4wm which you can find on Google. This will take off the DRM from WMV files.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:29 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

The twelve movies on my 604 are all 640x480 wmv. Even though Archos said they support UP TO DVD resolution I believe 640x480 is actually beyond that.

I rip my DVDs with IMTOO and transfer using the file system (no sync software).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

DVD resolution is 720x576 PAL at 25fps or 704x480 NTSC at 30fps..

I don't know which resolution Cinemanow's movies are. But I think they use to have portable media center versions of some of the movies, which worked on AV500 and previous WMV playsforsure compatible Archos devices. But that now with the full DVD resolution WMV support, that I would think this means all WMV DRM sites that are at standard resolution and not yet HD resolution would be compatible. But it might also depend on some special partnership to have to be made between for example Cinemanow and Archos because Microsoft might require a more expensive licence for support of higher resolution video on demand than the portable media center resolution and bitrate.

Post subject: bump
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:09 am 
bump

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:36 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I use Allok Video to MP4 Converter. It has a drop down menu that lets you select what file type you want to convert a video to. It even has Archos listed in the menu, but I think its resolution options are for the other Archos players, not the the 04 series. It still works good though and I've converted a few videos for my 504. I just don't know what resolution the 504 uses for full screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:09 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Anonymous wrote:
For DVDS, = pocket DVD studio / works perfectly, no lip sync problems, like clone DVD mobile has!!

For mpg to avi = Pocket DIvx encoder..easy to use!

Thanks for that! :D

Brilliant bit of software. Now I can watch in sync avi's on my Archos while we all wait and wait for the plug ins to be released.

I had tried many of the other recommendations of converts in this forum and this is easy to use and very quick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:42 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Great suggestion! It works perfectly

Charbax wrote:
For the 504 and 604 devices, you don't need to convert if you have the Cinema plugin which adds support for Mpeg2, .vob and all that goes with that.

That plugin is not available yet, but should be available soon at archos.com

If not, you can encode to DivX using http://labs.divx.com/DrDivX and renaming the .divx extention to .avi, because I don't think that the .divx container is supported yet.

There is also AutoGK and DVDx which I use sometimes to backup my DVD rips to nice quality DivX.