Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:02 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:45 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Alright I first bought an Archos 404 years ago and loved it. A few years later I upgraded to the 504 because I dropped my 404 and ran it over with my car before I noticed. It actually is still in "great" condition after running it over. The only problem is the screen has some lines through it so I upgraded to a 504. After having the 504 the hard drive failed. Needless to say I haven't had the best of luck with these products, but I absolutely love them. My question is this. Would it be possible for me to remove the hard drive out of the 404 and replace the 504's hard drive with it. The 504 battery, display, everything but the hard drive works great, the 404 hard drive works great but the display is not working right so I would like to take the 2 and make one working unit. Is this possible?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:21 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I'm afraid even if the drives were the same physical shape and connection system, they are linked to the operating system by individual serial numbers, so a swap would not work even if it was physically possible.

I have bought replacement drives for locked Archos products from these people

http://s289462194.e-shop.info/shop/page ... hop_param=

and can confirm they do work. You will have to supply the serial number of the bust 504 drive for them to replicate a substitute. So far as I know these are the only people offering to replicate the drives.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:31 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi;
If you are handy, you could either replace the hard drive in your 504 by following the link suggested by the other gentleman on this page - or you could look around for a dead 404 with a good screen which you could purchase, remove the screen and install it in your 404. After a little Google searching, I did find a website which had the (simple) step by step instructions to do this.

Or, if you don't want to try repairing either unit yourself, I would make you a cash offer for your dead 504.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:00 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi cinevender!

Please help me with your information, I really need the instructions for changing the hard drive of my 504. I did google but I found nothing (and some very old useless topic also)

Could you give me specific URL or the name of that website.

really appreciated!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:02 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

orionlex:
take a look at the postiong from FREDC on this page. On my home computer, I have additional instructions from this site which I found by searching for ARCHOS 504 HARD DRIVE SWAP.
I could post those for you in early March.
OK?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:22 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

hi!

I did take a look of FREDC link, but it was not worked for me, I got an Error 500 - Internal server error. So, I tried searching with your suggested keywork, and I thought I had something. I'll let you know then.

anyway, please post your instructions here for other people and for me also. Thank you in advance.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi, again. This link for the hard drive replacement shop worked for me, so try it. I have NOT bought anything from them, but at least one post claimed they can do it.
In any case, in a couple of weeks, I will post the information I gleaned from some older posting about DIY HD replacement.

http://s289462194.e-shop.info/shop/page/7?shop_param=

Thanks again.