Apart from "don't buy an Archos in the first place..", are these the main do's and dont's for the newbie?
1. Don't drop the Archos when its playing.
2. Don't buy the official Archos case (it can cause no.1 above).
use safe USB disconnect from a PC.
4. Don't defrag or CHKDSK /r an Achos using a Win2k (or higher) PC.
5. Fit a screen protector.
6. Don't bother using Microsoft Media Player 11.
7. Get a USB Host Storage Drive and back-up your files.
8. Charge the battery fully before first use.
9. Download DivXEncoder (or Super)
10. Search this forum before asking questions.
Why this? 3. ALWAYS use safe USB disconnect from a PC.