Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:07 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:59 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

ArchosStyle wrote:
Orwells1984IsHereNow wrote:
Apart from "don't buy an Archos in the first place..", are these the main do's and dont's for the newbie?

1. Don't drop the Archos when its playing.
2. Don't buy the official Archos case (it can cause no.1 above).
3. ALWAYS use safe USB disconnect from a PC.
4. Don't defrag or CHKDSK /r an Achos using a Win2k (or higher) PC.
5. Fit a screen protector.
6. Don't bother using Microsoft Media Player 11.
7. Get a USB Host Storage Drive and back-up your files.
8. Charge the battery fully before first use.
9. Download DivXEncoder (or Super)
10. Search this forum before asking questions.

;)

Why this? 3. ALWAYS use safe USB disconnect from a PC.

i never disconect it safe i just pull the cable out of my archos and thats it
I always do as well. As with all USB drives, yanking them without properly dismounting can cause corrupt files.
I have only had this happen to me once and that was because the drive was still writing.
If you have corrupted files though, don't say we didn't warn you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:53 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Quote:

Why this? 3. ALWAYS use safe USB disconnect from a PC.

i never disconect it safe i just pull the cable out of my archos and thats it

If you are connected in Hard Drive Mode - you run the risk of disconnecting during a disk write to your Archos, and this will corrupt you hard drive. :cry:

There have been many posts in this forum from people who have suffered USB connection and disk problems following such an incident. Also, you cannot rely on the HDD red light being inactive as a sign that it is safe to disconnect.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:55 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Tip 23...

Buy something else. Archos customer service is woeful. Don't expect live chat if you have problems. And expect a long and drawn out conversation to end with a cut and paste fob off if you do manage to rouse Archos from its sleep.

Archos is not a firm that's interested in you once you've been sold one of their pups.

The players look nice but they're much more difficult to use than is necessary in 2009. There's a French connection, so I guess this is to be expected. But remember this - no matter how reasonably priced your player is you'll need to buy plug-ins and add ons, plus extra hardware if you want to do anything even remotely interesting.

Mine's gone back to the shop. Interestingly, they didn't argue when I explained how poor my experience was. I suspect I'm not the only person who's hacked off with Archos.

0/10, utter rubbish.

Anyone heard of iPod?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:19 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Orwells1984IsHereNow wrote:
4. Don't defrag or CHKDSK /r an Achos using a Win2k (or higher) PC.
It's been a source of problems in the past, and definitely shouldn't be attempted without a complete backup of media files. It's got something to do with the Archos being Linux/FAT32 and being defragged with a progam designed for NTFS (Win2K or Higher) via USB. (The culprit in my case was Norton Utilities SpeedDisk running on an XP, it completely screwed up the O/S. :cry:)
So I won't defrag an Archos ever again - if you have the media files, plugins and firmware backed up - its just as easy to reformat and reload (which I ended up doing anyway).....

I think the advice should more accurately be just don't defrag with Norton Speeddisk.

I have defragged 504 and 404 many many times with XP built in defrag, and various versions of Vopt defrag, Defraggler for individual files and Perfectdisk and never had a problem with defrags. There is no reason to have problems since archos has a bog standard fat32 format, so the problem is with Norton (and I am not really surprised since have had problems with Norton in the past causing rather than solving problems when re-sizing partitions so now use other more dependable programs).

If defragging it is much faster to backup the video files, delete them, defrag the photos and music, and then copy the videos back for a cleaned up drive.