Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:45 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:49 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

jcc39 wrote:
This looks like a good place to ask my question since most of you have experience with this already I will see what your thoughts are. I have a 604 Wifi, which I assume video playback is the same as the 604. I have a bunch of DVD's backed up as .vob files on my hard drive using the old DVD shrink or the newer DVD Fab decrypter program. Now my question is is it worth it to purchase the Archos Cinema player plugin for my device, or should I buy the DVD Fab platinum software to convert it and shrink it to smaller size for my player. Space isn't really an issue so between DVD's played back through the Archos Cinema player or an encoded DVD through DVDFab Plat which will give me better picture quality, and is it that significant? Thanks for any help

For TV playback, I find the vob files look better, but the avi's are certainly not bad. For playback on the Archos, I can't tell a lot of difference. Depends on how picky you are when it comes to video quality.

I got the cinema plug-in because, like you, space is not really an issue for me and I liked the vob quality better, so I saw no point in spending the extra time converting a vob to an avi.

If you want to experiment without laying out any funds, try SUPER or PocketDivXEncoder, both good programs for converting video to DivX/XviD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:54 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

or you could try the free 7-day trialll of dvd Catalyst

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:49 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm using dvd shring to rip. I end up with a bunch of vob files which one do i use to convert to avi. Using avi.net.

JT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:41 am 
Archos User
Archos User

JTDeel wrote:
I'm using dvd shring to rip. I end up with a bunch of vob files which one do i use to convert to avi. Using avi.net.

You can use DVD Shrink to separate out the vob of interest. Check the thread http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.p ... c&start=20
for details about how to use Shrink to get just the vob you want (I give a step by step on the second page of the thread). You can then process that vob to get your avi.

Post subject: file transfer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:51 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

dont know if this is right place but a friend of mine has a 504 and is using any dvd and clone mobile to create the file he needs to but whats the next step to take to transfer it to the archos divice because he saying he either cant drag and drop it into the device or when he did as soon as he unplugged the divice there was no file to find any help would be great

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:16 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

What format is he encoding to? If it is DIVX I can't understand why it wouldn't show up. I use those products and encode to DIVX for all of my movies. I have never had them not show up.

Post subject: Re: file transfer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:23 am 
Archos User
Archos User

1773 wrote:
dont know if this is right place but a friend of mine has a 504 and is using any dvd and clone mobile to create the file he needs to but whats the next step to take to transfer it to the archos divice because he saying he either cant drag and drop it into the device or when he did as soon as he unplugged the divice there was no file to find any help would be great

We need more info. Is he using the Archos in WMP sync mode or just as an external drive? Where, specifically, is he dragging and dropping to?

P.S. Punctuation is your friend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:42 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I tried converting a divx movie (so I could hard-encode subtitles) with MediaCoder (a very good program for this). Worked fine, but the only problem I have is that the original aspect ratio of the Divx file is lost (2.35:1) and is converted to 16:9, thus stretching the movie horizontally.

Does anyone know a good convertor that a) is able to hardcode subtitles and b) keeps aspect ratio correct

Thx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:11 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Pingmeister wrote:
What format is he encoding to? If it is DIVX I can't understand why it wouldn't show up. I use those products and encode to DIVX for all of my movies. I have never had them not show up.
all i know is he uses the two programes to create a audio and video ts folders and i think it was hdd mode

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:50 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

If he is ripping to VOBs (Audio and Video TS folders) then he will not be able to see the files unless he buys the add-on.

The cheapest solution is to re-rip the DVD and encode to DIVX, in which case he will be able ot play the movie just fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:59 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

2 more questions:
1. when buying the cinema plugin and putting the vob files on the archos, do I also get the menu's, extras etc ? or only the movie?

2. just tried tmpenc xpress (some1 recommended this). seems to be a VERY easy to use program to reencode divx with subs etc... Any1 else using this? Or better (cheaper) alternatives?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:24 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

lapino wrote:
2 more questions:
1. when buying the cinema plugin and putting the vob files on the archos, do I also get the menu's, extras etc ? or only the movie?

2. just tried tmpenc xpress (some1 recommended this). seems to be a VERY easy to use program to reencode divx with subs etc... Any1 else using this? Or better (cheaper) alternatives?

1. You can put the all the DVD files (vob,ifo,bup) on the Archos, but it won't do any good since since the Archos does not have a software DVD player which can manipulate menus, etc. With the plug-in, you can move the individual vob files and play them like any other video file.

2. TMPGEnc is a good program, and is what I use There are some others, like QuEnc which are free, and are supposed to be pretty good, as well as some other commercial encoders which are nice. Peruse the forums over at videohelp.com or doom9.org for more info on encoders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:46 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Pingmeister wrote:
If he is ripping to VOBs (Audio and Video TS folders) then he will not be able to see the files unless he buys the add-on.

The cheapest solution is to re-rip the DVD and encode to DIVX, in which case he will be able ot play the movie just fine.
is it possible to use clone mobile to rip them to divx or does he need another application to do this ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:32 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

When you first start up CloneDVDMobile the very first screen has the codec selection. Choose "Generic (DivX)"

That codec will play on your unit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:38 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Pingmeister wrote:
When you first start up CloneDVDMobile the very first screen has the codec selection. Choose "Generic (DivX)"

thanks for your time and help i will pass the info on and see how he gets on thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:12 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I can't believe Pocketdivx has only had two mentions in this entire thread.
If used in conjunction with DVD decrypter it's by far the best and it's free.
The newer beta version even specifically supports the 04 series.
It will integrate subtitles too -it's much better than all the payware everyone seems to be waffling about...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:52 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

1773 wrote:
Pingmeister wrote:

thanks for your time and help i will pass the info on and see how he gets on thank you
the sound seems to run a split second behind the movement of the lips any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:36 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Hi there,
Can someone suggest the best software solution for getting .asf files from an internet video stream (of a sporting event) onto the Archos 504.
So far I have tried using WM Recorder 11.0 (trial version limited to 5mins recording). This was able to record both WMP and RealPlayer content into a .ASF file. However this doesn't play on the Archos, so I used Super to convert the .ASF to DivX which works but there appears to be some synchronisation issues.
Having to convert the file (next morning) defeats the purpose of playing the "rest of the match" on the Archos whilst out and about.
Is there any product that will record a video stream directly onto the Archos HDD in a readable format? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:40 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

1773 wrote:
1773 wrote:
Pingmeister wrote:

the sound seems to run a split second behind the movement of the lips any ideas?
is there any one who could help out please

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:15 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

1773 wrote:
is there any one who could help out please

There's this CloneDvdMobile forum thread but there's no resolution as yet, although there is a suggestion that PocketDivxEncoder can be used to correct the sync.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next