Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:03 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:33 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have tried quite a few converters to help me transfer DVD's to my new AV504.
Biggest issues for me have been:

1. Ease of use.
2. Support for subtitles.
3. Quality of image and sound.
4. H264/aac support (to allow a good level of compression with good quality - 400kb/s).
5. Being able to get 480x272 exactly.
6. Batch conversion (for mutiple episodes on a DVD).
7. General polish and quality of product.
8. Continuing and regular updates.
9. Good support forum.

With the latest version of DVDFab Platinum (3.0.7.2) this program now meets all of these points to a high standard and I can recommend to anybody with similar requirements.

PS Although I am new(ish) to this forum I have been "backing up" DVD's for a long time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:17 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

okay DVDFab will remove coding... and make Divx files for my 504.

How long will it take to do a movie from start to finish.

How is the quality of the copy.

TPMC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:52 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

My experience is that it is fairly typical unless you use the high quality 2 pass mode in which case it is somewhat longer.

However try it for free (30 days or so I think) and see what you find.

I use H264 so can't comment on DivX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:07 am 
Archos User
Archos User

okay i downloaded the fab program and yes for two pass its about 2 hours or slightly more to rip a dvd ISO file to AVI at around 2 gig. I did one movie and it had subtitles in it.. weird.. I think its the subscreen check but not sure how to get it off of the movie.....

Do you know how to remove the captions from the movie.

Other than that.. if you hook up your 504 to a television how is the picture.. I was moving it over at the 480x272 screen size.

TPMC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:10 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

When hooked up to the TV, it looks ok. 2 pass is better than one pass, but so far I've encoded 12 episodes of Buffy, and 3 movies. They all look good. But good is relative :)

Tom

[Edit] to remove subtitles, after you select DVD to mobile (generic) there should be check boxes next to the subtitles. Deselect them and they should go away. I'll report back here in a hour or so.

[Further edit] It took 37 minutes to rip and convert Dawn of the Dead 2004 in one pass 700 mb mode. No subtitles. Looked ok on a 19 inch flat panel monitor. Will try on TV and report back tomorrow morning.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:18 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Enthusiast wrote:
In DVD Shrink, if your VOB is multiple episodes, once you select the VOB file, on the left pane you can select the icon that looks like [-><-] and select the start and end points for the output file. I use this to single out music videos individually from the single VOB file on the DVD. Give each segment a name and they are placed in thier own folders. The do with them what you want.

I just wondering how to do this. Thanks so much! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:12 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Okay... Converting again with DVD fab. There was no Subtitles radio button to unclick. Just a sub picture button which I unclicked. Running it now. We will see if it works.

Doing two pass copy. 480 x 272

I am only using this to watch movies when out and about so I am not too worried about how it would look on a large screen.

TPMC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:55 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

towerpmc wrote:
Okay... Converting again with DVD fab. There was no Subtitles radio button to unclick. Just a sub picture button which I unclicked. Running it now. We will see if it works.

Doing two pass copy. 480 x 272

I am only using this to watch movies when out and about so I am not too worried about how it would look on a large screen.

TPMC

Yup, 'sub pictures button' is correct. My bad. 2 pass 580x272 looks great on TV. Is overkill on the Archos (opinion only). And my bitrate was ~900 or so. I kept it at the 700 mb size. Actually, I've found that 1 pass @ 960 kbps (or thereabouts) looks ok on the TV as well. But since I'm using my computers to encode while I'm asleep or at work, I just leave them to 2 pass.

Since I can batch encode episodes, I think I'll buy DVDFab Platinum tomorrow.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:49 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Okay. Well my recode worked and looks pretty good. I will prob HAH will be buying FAB here soon. I want to play with the splitting part as I have a vid here with four episodes and dont quite know how to split them up.

Other than that its nice at 2 hours for dual pass... 580 x 272.. hows that look on the Archos? is it cropping the ends of the movie or is this just a quality of the display thing.

TPMC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:10 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

towerpmc wrote:
Okay. Well my recode worked and looks pretty good. I will prob HAH will be buying FAB here soon. I want to play with the splitting part as I have a vid here with four episodes and dont quite know how to split them up.

Other than that its nice at 2 hours for dual pass... 580 x 272.. hows that look on the Archos? is it cropping the ends of the movie or is this just a quality of the display thing.

TPMC

Sorry, I meant 480x272 I wasn't wearing my glasses when posting earlier :)

If you mean 4 episodes on one DVD you can just click the check boxes and it will encode them all one by one (I think you can even apply different settings to each, not sure though). It will put them all in one subdirectory and if memory serves correctly they are numbered appropriately so it is easy to rename them as you want.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:22 am 
Archos User
Archos User

okay cool... your a font of knowledge.... Yaaaaa!

I will try that next and see what happens....

I gotta tell ya.. I enjoy watching a movie while waiting than just staring into space.

TPMC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:24 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

As a followup to DVDFab I found that on the page just before you start encoding, you can change the file name and your final file will be named appropriately, ie. Buffy 1x12 Prophecy Girl.avi, rather than something arcane such as S1Disc3title4.avi

So about the only work you gotta do is in setting up either the file size, bit rate or titles.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:17 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Remember that in DVDFab the settings for the picture size/codec/bit rate etc can all be saved as the default config and they will then be the basis of all future conversions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:57 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

For some reason Fab wont save my defaults. not a big deal. I am now trying to split a dvd with 4 chapters.. its wants to show two only. I will see how that comes out.

TPat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:17 pm 
Hello There,

I ve got for christmas a wonderfull 604 wifi and my son got the 404. In addition to that my wife s got an Ipod 80g and my second son as a PSP. In other words, video conversion is just an amaizing stuff.

So here are my personal conclusion:
- when I want a basic movie / like videomusic or cartoons / to play on everything, then I use the famous H264 AVC level 1.3 with 320x240 at about 500kbit for the video.

With the Podcast plugin loaded on the 604 and 404, the result is really good.

Now, when I want to put high quality videos like DVD for archiving purpose or to play them on TV, then I use the Ipod 5.5G format which is H264 AVC level 30. Result is amazing and runing verywell on archos + ipod, which is very interresting. I ven can say that archos is better reader than ipod, on TV.

The resolution I use for standrd 16/9 DVD is 640x368 with bit rate of 1400kbits, but 560x320 at 1000kbits give excellent result as weel (2 passes) and most of us would not see much differences.

If the DVD is 2.35 (16/9+black bands) then I crop it and convert it to 640x288 1000kbits or even 560x240 800kbits.

When I record TV show on the archos, I always use 2500kbits and then I usually re-encode in 480x272 at 800kbits.
If this is a nice film like 16/9 letter boxed movies I use 560x320 1000kbits, which brings a good trade off as the original divx3 coding of the archos destroy some details anyway. Fianlly when this is a 2.35 films letter boxed then I chose 560x240 800kbits.

Ok now the question is what tools, then the best I can do at the moment is to give you the link of a man having done a nice package and documentation : here is the link:

http://www.uncletravelingmatt.com/archives/ipod/

As you will see this is for Ipod, but just change your mind and go with this, you ll see an incredible result.

in addition I ve created some profile to be used with 3GPConverter which make my live easy, and esecially for my children also as they can just drag & drop any kind of file into 3GPConverter and then the batch file runs in idle mode on the PC... just need to wait 3 to 4 time the length of the movie.

Hope this helps, depending on feedback I may post additional things like zip file, but later on. All credits to Matt gifford

regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:40 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I am totally happy with Fairuse and Fabdvd. They work, They are easy to use, They are somewhat quick.

Having fun loading my 504 160g. I only have 7 gig open now. LOL. thats about 110 gig of music and 30 some odd gig of movies.

TPat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:52 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Hi Everyone.

I ran into a little problem over the last couple of days. DVD FAB which I have been using to turn my ripped dvd movies into avi / divx would not do a copy of Big Trouble In Little China at all. Well it would code the video correctly, but no matter what setting I used it would make the audio thin and off time. So I decided to try the longer coding of Fair use and it worked like a charm. So if DVD FAB dont work try Fair Use.

I just wish Fair Use was faster.

Well I wished both programs were faster. HAH

TPMC

Post subject: xilisoft
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:27 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

theindian wrote:
I am using Xilisoft to convert my dvd's but my 604 says they are not compatable. Can someone please tell me the best way to do this as my brand new player is sitting here with no movies. Thanks

I'm using xilisoft with my 504 an I find the quality xcelent. What settinggs are you using?

Inspector

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:49 am 
This looks like a good place to ask my question since most of you have experience with this already I will see what your thoughts are. I have a 604 Wifi, which I assume video playback is the same as the 604. I have a bunch of DVD's backed up as .vob files on my hard drive using the old DVD shrink or the newer DVD Fab decrypter program. Now my question is is it worth it to purchase the Archos Cinema player plugin for my device, or should I buy the DVD Fab platinum software to convert it and shrink it to smaller size for my player. Space isn't really an issue so between DVD's played back through the Archos Cinema player or an encoded DVD through DVDFab Plat which will give me better picture quality, and is it that significant? Thanks for any help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:42 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I use Fab or Fair use as some dvds that I ahve changed to ISO dont want to line up the audio correctly. I dont know why three of my movies do this but the rest code fine. I have all my dvds now back as ISO files then I use fab to make AVi / Divx files for my 504.. works great.

No plugins

TPAT

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next