Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:08 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:17 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

AutoGK is the I am using. So far, it is doing the job for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:30 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Avisynth and virtualdub here
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21932

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:51 am 
Archos User
Archos User

For viewing content from ripped DVD's, I use DVD Fab or ripit4me to rip, then DVD Shrink to prepare the vob I use on my 604WiFi. Occasionally, I have to use DVD Remake to split individual episodes out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:08 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Gildor wrote:
For viewing content from ripped DVD's, I use DVD Fab or ripit4me to rip, then DVD Shrink to prepare the vob I use on my 604WiFi. Occasionally, I have to use DVD Remake to split individual episodes out.

DVD Shrink will do that as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:20 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Okay .. Paint me totally confused.

I have gotten my movies to ISO files.

How do I get them onto my 504?

I read all the above and am more confused now.

TPMC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:51 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

There is more than one product you can use for you iso's but my current favorite is FairUse which is at http://www.fairusewizard.com/.

The free version maxes out at 700mb but still very nice looking files since uses 2-pass, etc. I have the paid version (between $12-$20 USD) and make DVD-quality rips at about 1gb per 2-hour movie.

It supports one-step rip/encode from DVD or encode from ISO files. It is very easy to use if you leave to do all Auto, or if you decide you want more control, you can enable that and play with various settings. There is an FAQ and forum for Fairuse as well. All info is on that site.

Oh, it will do Divx, xVid, iPod, and a couple of others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:57 am 
Archos User
Archos User

okay. I downloaded the free version and it looks like it will take an ISO from a file and make it divx which I believe my 504 will play. Am I right there?

I will check out the forum next....

SO what settings do you use for your ripping to your Archos player?

TPMC

PS thanks for the info!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:42 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I have messed with my settings so much that I do not recall what is default anymore but when I was a newbie at this stuff, I used the defaults and it worked great so you'll be okay starting there.

On the Options page, go ahead and pick Divx, with the size 700mb (or smaller if you wish), and the 2-pass checked, and put in your Destination folder.

If you'll mostly be watching on the 504, make sure the "Use TV Display mode" is un-checked (not a huge deal if checked, though). The Audio track is English and MP3 at 128kb/s.

You may want to check the box "Always show this screen at startup" and "Full Auto Mode". If you ever get to the point where you want to experiment more, you can un-check full auto mode and you'll have lots of options that may overwhelm you at first.

Then you'll click Next. You'll have to pick a project name (usually movie name), and make sure you note (or change if you like) the destination folder. It will prompt you select your ISO file. From there, it will do its thing for 2-4 hours. I'm doing this from memory so I should be close to what you see.

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:08 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Cool!

Thanks for the information.

Why do you have your file size at 1gig and what does it do the picture quality? Larger size file better quality or is the screen on the 504 small enough that you wont notice.

I think you said you use 1 gig per 2 hr movie.

Thanks Again!

TPMC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:48 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

My DVD ripping and encoding isn't purely for watching on the device. I keep my entire video library in Divx and primarily watch on a big screen via the Archos. So, I wanted larger file sizes for sharper quality and higher resolution.

For watching only on the LCD, you can easily scale down to about 500mb per 2 hour movie and not lose detail - possibly even smaller.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:18 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I am about to download the full program. It sounds like it will work fine for me. I am flipping them to divx for my 504 only...

I will prob go with your 2 gig per 2 hr movie.. sounds fine.

Thanks again!

TPMC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:30 am 
Archos User
Archos User

OKay.. downloaded the fair use program... 20 bucks.

Works great. Changed my ISO file to AVI for my 504 great. Set for 2 gig and I am happy. Watched 5ht element on my 504 and it was fantastic.

I do wish that it was quicker. It seemed to talk about 4 hours or so.

TPMC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:34 am 
Archos User
Archos User

smallman28 wrote:
Gildor wrote:

DVD Shrink will do that as well.

Well, yes and no. Its true that DVD Shrink will break out individual episodes as titles. Sometimes. Other times I find it lumps them all together as one. I don't know why but I suspect how the DVD was originally produced determines that behavior. <shrug> So, unless there is some option in DVD Shrink I am missing, it doesn't always break out individual episodes. FWIW, I just do movies and anime conversions and not regular, American live action TV series, so I can't really comment on the behavior for those type shows.

Not really an issue for me as I don't mind breaking out DVD Remake when necessary.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:51 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

In DVD Shrink, if your VOB is multiple episodes, once you select the VOB file, on the left pane you can select the icon that looks like [-><-] and select the start and end points for the output file. I use this to single out music videos individually from the single VOB file on the DVD. Give each segment a name and they are placed in thier own folders. The do with them what you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:49 am 
Archos User
Archos User

hand brake for windows is a good program too.
not much for a gui but it does work well.
I have used it for two movies so far and both have turned out great for displaying on my archos as well as on my 4:3 tv.
I used dvd decrypter to rip to the hard drive and handbrake to convert to avi.
avi file was less than a gig. I think that is good because when I ripped fight club to my hard drive it was over 8 gigs.

Post subject: DVD Menus?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:37 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

hey, not sure if I should have started a new thread for this but does anyone know if dvd menus can be displayed on the 504? i know some programs can convert the entire contents of a DVD to an exact copy only with a smaller size. is they're one that converts it to show on the 504's screen?
I know divx converter does it but it says the output can be displayed on "Divx ultra certified products" and the 504 isin't even divx certified. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:19 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

goodrench wrote:
hand brake for windows is a good program too.
not much for a gui but it does work well.
I have used it for two movies so far and both have turned out great for displaying on my archos as well as on my 4:3 tv.
I used dvd decrypter to rip to the hard drive and handbrake to convert to avi.
avi file was less than a gig. I think that is good because when I ripped fight club to my hard drive it was over 8 gigs.

How fast is handbreak to encode iso to divx?

TPMC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:38 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Enthusiast wrote:
In DVD Shrink, if your VOB is multiple episodes, once you select the VOB file, on the left pane you can select the icon that looks like [-><-] and select the start and end points for the output file. I use this to single out music videos individually from the single VOB file on the DVD. Give each segment a name and they are placed in thier own folders. The do with them what you want.

Thanks for the tip! It works quite well. Although I still prefer DVD Remake's UI, this is good to know as backup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:11 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

towerpmc wrote:

How fast is handbreak to encode iso to divx?

TPMC

I haven't tried to use iso or divx yet but I will try it and post my results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:30 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I bought my 504 on January 19th, and have had no trouble getting files on and playing. But I do have some experience with ripping and converting into DivX/XviD format because I've been doing it for abou 3 years for my DVD players.

1) DVD Decrypter easily rips most titles. If I'm ripping episodes (eg Buffy the Vampire Slayer), I can rip in IFO mode. Has trouble with some newer titles copy protection.

2) RipitforME; a combination of DVD Decrypter and FixVTS to handle the newer titles out there.

3) Imtoo DVD Rip Platinum; nice becausr it rips and converts on the fly. I have had some audio synch issues with files that I generate. And it's hard to generate files of a specific size, although you can set the bit rate.

4) CloneDVD mobile; rips and converts all in once, and seems to have no problems with synch issues, but is inaccurate on producing a specified file size. I also don't like that it uses DivX 4 (can't find a way to make it use XviD but think it might be able to).

5) AutoGK; a very nice converting program that lets you use DivX or XviD. Seems to be very accurate on file size.

6) Rip.net and Avi.net Sort of a 1-2 punch. Rip.net rips the DVD (uses DVD Fab Decrypter as a ripping engine totally transparently to the user), and allows either whole DVD copying or episodic extraction. Avi.net then allows you to generate a DivX or XviD file.

My favourite is either DVD Decrypter/AutoGK or Rip.net/Avi.net My fourite codec to use is Xvid 1.1.2 or DivX 6.4

A couple of others to try out, but I've not gotten to yet.

7) DVDFab Platinum
7a) Magic DVD Ripper; interesting because it defeats the copy protection found on most DVDs, is capable of converting on the fly to your codec of choice (DivX or XviD or WMV or anything else) and can batch or multiple encode episodes from a DVD. I like it because it allows me to have access to some of the codec advanced settings, although at the moment it does not allow for multipass encoding. The results noentheless are very nice at 1-pass quality or specified bit rate.

Tom

Last edited by tdavie on Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next