Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:19 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:06 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Sorry if there's already a thread on this, but I was thinking of centralizing all re-encoding discussions here.

I just got my Archos 604, and was wondering on some details on getting stuff to work on it.

Videos:
I'm using SUPER, and will try AVS Video Converter (nice GUI, but dunno if it works well yet) plus some other free soft I found while browsing some forums.

Now, here's a question: Which codec is BEST for Archos 4 series?
I know it all depends on what the user wants, but let's make a list.

I tried using SUPER to reencode to XviD, but when I tried to play the result on the player, it gave the error about not supporting GMC and Quarter Pixel.

Next, I tried pure DivX. Worked, but got the aspect ratio wrong... it cropped a little of the top and botton.

Now, I'm trying to do it again, with different aspect ratio. And next, I'll be changing resolutions. For some videos, SUPER can automatically detect and preserve resolution and aspect ratio, but for some you have to specify.

Dunno if this is a SUPER limitation, or other encoders also has this problem.

Pictures:
I'm stuffing my 604 with lots of pictures, webcomics and other stuff. Used Irfanview to batch convert all files to .jpg with a max Width (fixed ratio) of 1024. Almost 8000 files distributed in different folders and subfolders. Took some time, but worked perfectly.
The only thing Irfanview doesn't resize are animated gifs I think... so, if your looking for a simple way to resize, convert or rename tons of pictures, can't go wrong with Irfanview (freeware).

Music:
Finally, next, I'm looking for an Audio Soft that batch converts audio files to mp3, 192Kpbs, with volume leveling (important). I have tons of mp3 files that comes in very different volume settings.
I've already seem something similar in MusicMatch Jukebox, but I think I can find this in some freeware soft. Got Audacity but didn't try it yet.

Post your experiences here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:35 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Ok, more stuff:

AVS Video converter is trial. Sorry, my bad. Trial version puts a watermark on the center of the video, which makes it useless.

Now, a question: When converting videos, which is the best strategy:
1. keep original proportions;
2. resize to the size of 604's screen;
3. something else? Like resizing while keeping proportions or something like that, to reduze filesize?

Unfortunately, SUPER doesn't have an option to customize the size... it has like 13 different size options, but that's bad because I have some video files with weird sizes.. like 704x396. So I'll just look for some other soft.

I'll just keep posting just in case someone finds this information useful later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:23 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Back on Video:
I'm now using Total Video Converter.
Seems to be the one. It detects even weird-sized resolutions.
You can set a custom size, or keep the original one. Audio also works like that.
It has tons of codecs to choose (from and to - even Flash!).
It also has some other tools to join videos, extract audio and video, and multiplex it.

Now, on to the problems.
1. 15-day trial ($46 to register)
2. Watermark on top-left side of the screen (couldn't find out if it's removed after registering the product).

Best choice yet from all I've tested so far between: Super, AVS Video Converter, PocketDivXEncoder, and some others.

Still testing: AlltoAvi, ffdshow(?), VirtualDub and it's modifications (??). Last two I'm not shure if their function is to convert videos though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:26 am 
Archos User
Archos User

my top few converters would be probably 3gp converter,psp movie creator and just using the dvr station to record stuff.I use 3gp converter if I want fast,good conpression with almost any video type,psp movie maker if I want superior compression and for dvd's I've already seen and the dvr station for tv shows and new dvd's I get.with exception to the dvr station,the other 2 are free,but require the mp4 codec,but a few times i just change it from .mp4 to .avi if its just mp4,but most of the time I do avc with 3gp converter.
Download links
psp movie creator: http://www.pqdvd.com/download/psp_movie_creator.exe
3gp converter
http://www.nurs.or.jp/%7Ecalcium/3gpp/3 ... ter034.zip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:53 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Networkgames - Thanks! I'll try those.

Also: Any synch problems using those?

Update - Got Total Video Converter to work overnight on 10+ videos. I just set it to convert to DivX. Got the job done, but some videos went out of synch. Not too much, but it's still noticeable.

Happened to a series of videos that were converted from XviD-mp3 to DivX-mp3.
But didn't happen when I converted some mp4 (I guess h264 and aac) to DivX-mp3.

Anyone knows some batch resynch tool? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:33 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Sometimes I feel like a salesperson for these products and I don't mean to be, they just made my life easier and I think others may benefit.

After trying multiple freewares for conversion (Nice resource: http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/category/3/68/59/ ) I ended up buying (SHOCK!) software for the process.

I use Slysofts AnyDVD and CloneDVDMobile.

Since then, I have had NO synch problems. The company is very active with updates (yesterday for CloneDVDMobile and only a few days ago for AnyDVD) and they have a web presence in this forum: http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=74

Honestly, I struggled with SO many converters trying to get everythng just right and I am VERY happy to have paid someone to make a tool that does a no-hassle conversion.

Some software I enjoy tinkering with, but I sure got sick of reconverting movies over and over again trying to get them right.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:39 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

XSportSeeker2 wrote:
Music:
Finally, next, I'm looking for an Audio Soft that batch converts audio files to mp3, 192Kpbs, with volume leveling (important). I have tons of mp3 files that comes in very different volume settings.
I've already seem something similar in MusicMatch Jukebox, but I think I can find this in some freeware soft. Got Audacity but didn't try it yet.

also, someting that can put the files back into their source folders, aswelll as drag&drop that supports folders and jjst takes the audio files out of them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:44 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Pingmeister - I heard lots about Slysoft... but correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those softs designed to make DVD to something conversions?
Or do they to like, MKV to AVI, mp4 to AVI and other stuff to avi (DivX/XviD) conversions too?

I did manage to convert some stuff with Total Video Converter, but I'm having problems with some MKV video. (sync... sound is half a second too early)

birdman: I'm not shure about this, but seems Audacity can do that. Check it out. I still didn't have the time to test it 'cuz I'm stuck with the whole video conversion thing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:48 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

XSportSeeker2 wrote:

Now, a question: When converting videos, which is the best strategy:
1. keep original proportions;
2. resize to the size of 604's screen;
3. something else? Like resizing while keeping proportions or something like that, to reduze filesize?

I'd say to decide how you're going to watch the movies... if you're only going to view on the Archos screen, resize the files down to the Archos screen resolution of 480x272 (or whatever is closest for the aspect ratio of your source). No point in having huge files using up HD space and consuming battery power faster if you don't intend to display the video on a TV.

I tried several freeware converters including MPEG Streamclip, SUPER, Videora for iPod, and the only one that really gave me good results was Gordian Knot. It's not simple but you have very good control over what you're doing and after you've gone through the process a few times it's easy.

Here's a very long and possibly confusing walkthrough posted on videohelp.com (which is an awesome site for help with any sort of video conversion issues, btw).

http://www.rita.lt/guides/GKnot_MPEG2toAVI.htm

There's also a much simpler version called "Auto GK" which was just too simple for my tastes.

http://www.divx-digest.com/articles/autogk.html

Now, that being said... I recently bought TMPGEnc's XPress 4.0 and it rocks. For $99 it'd better rock, but it does a great job, I can import most any format, edit the movies, add effects, adjust image and sound, batch export in multiple formats, and I use it with another of their products to author DVDs.

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/te4xp.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:14 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Update: Here, probably the last update on Video conversion.
Okay, as I said before, used Total Video Converter for some files that didn't have sync problems.

As for some 30+ others, I used a free soft that looks very VERY amateurish-like. It's called AlltoAvi, and you can find it on http://sourceforge.net/projects/alltoavi/

Seems it was developed by some anime fan, which is perfect for me since I'm converting anime files. Interface maybe kinda fugly and confusing, but after you get it working, batch works nicely. Also, it's just a GUI for a command line tool that converts video.

Doesn't support as much codecs as Total Video Converter, but the same videos that ended up with sync problems with TVC, with AlltoAvi worked just fine.

And that's it. When I have the time (not now, I'm getting on a bus just tomorrow) I'll compile all the information I got in the past couple days and compile it to a tutorial.

Summary: Total Video Converter has the best GUI, collection of codecs, and options. It is commercial though, and lots of files I tried to reencode (Mostly .avi files) resulted in sync problems.
AlltoAVI looks amateur, fugly, confusing and buggy. But got the job done. It's actually a GUI interface for a command line converter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:04 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello guys, new to this forum. Been lurking here for about 2 months now, decided to finally register. I purchased the 504 back in November, very happy with it. My parents got me the DVR Station+Cinema Plugin for Christmas :C) Had to wait a ridiculously long time to recieve the download link for the Plugin, Archos had problems with licensing apparently.

For my Xvid rips I use a program called Avi.net, it's free and and it encodes quite fast (average movie only takes about 3hrs 15mins to encode).

The program uses the .Net framework, so you must have that installed. Also the new release supports Xvid 1.1.2 codec.

here's the website http://www.clonead.co.uk

they also have a DVDripper, never used it though. I use Any DVD to bypass copywrite :wink: and DVD Decrypter to rip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:45 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm back! :P
mmkay, here's something new I tried: converting .flv movies to .avi
Got some to work, and some had sync problems.
Seems to be a specific Total Video Converter problem. Same thing that happened with avi to avi convertions (as in avis that weren't compatible with the player to XviD or DivX compatible avis)

Oh, .flvs are movies from YouTube, just in case some people don't know it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:43 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

XSportSeeker2 wrote:
Music:

I use MP3Gain for volume leveling. It works great, it's fast, and it's free. However, it does not convert bit rates or do any other type of re-encoding (that's why it's fast):

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:39 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Samy - Just used it yesterday! Works like a charm. Still, like you said, doesn't convert mp3 files. Audacity is interesting, but the way it works isn't.
It does batch filtering and converting, but creates HUGE temp files and I couldn't find a way to automatically delete them.
So it's just useless when you're trying to batch convert say, 100 files. The temp files will go over 10Gb if you let the batch converter running.

I need to find something that removes hiss, noises, blanks and filters other stuff now. For those looking only for volume leveling, I also recommend MP3Gain!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:57 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I use IMToo dvd converter and ripper. You can choose from about 30 output formats (avi, mpg, div, xvid etc etc), select any ou put size, choose very high bit rates and change the AC3 audio to MP3 (any bitrate). so far, no problems with audio sync-ing. I ripped a DVD in about 1hr 25 with a bitrate of just over 3100kbps and MP3 bitrate of 192kbps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:46 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I bought the IMTOO package and was very happy with it.

At some point, however, it started outputting grey videos. Just a grey block with sound. No matter which format I tried to output, I always got a grey video. I even tried ripping DVDs I had already succesfully ripped in teh past but still got grey output. It would even overlay subtitles correctly right on top of the grey.

After multiple reinstalls and even installing it on my backup machine (my DVR) I still couldn't rip any more. Their technical support kept asking me to do what I had already done (reinstall, etc.) so I gave up and bought the Slysoft combo.

Too bad, I like the IMTOOs options better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:35 pm 
I am using Xilisoft to convert my dvd's but my 604 says they are not compatable. Can someone please tell me the best way to do this as my brand new player is sitting here with no movies. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:09 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

What are you converting them to? Xvid with MP3 audio should work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:42 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

anyother suggestions? i tried them but cant pay for them so im limited to freeware.
mediacoder looked good but wouldn't encode for me - it gave an error message.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:45 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The ultimate tool for file conversion for your Archos product is the POCKETDIVXENCODER! I tried it out and it freakin ROCKS! It beats any encoding software hands down! TRY IT OUT! http://divx.ppccool.com/