Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:42 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:00 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I recently purchased a 504 and upgraded it from 80 GB Toshiba 2.5 inch to the Seagate 160 GB thanks to this this forum. But I need more space so I was wondering if anybody had successfully upgraded to EIDE Western Digital Scorpio 2.5 5400 rpm, (Manufacturers Code:WD2500BEVE) possibly one of the last remaining EIDE 2.5 inch hard drive is available?

My unit shipped with firmware 1.2.08 and I have been successful in upgrading as I said earlier to firmware 1.4.03, being careful to stay below firmware 1.5.XX a fear of not being able to upgrade in the future.

Due to the height restrictions of the 500 GB SATA's 2.5 inch hard drives (1.3 cm as apposed to 9.5 mm EIDE), I'm pretty sure that the 250 GB is as highest I can goto, unless anybody else knows of a mod that will allow me to allow for the thicker height?
Also is there a adaptor to go EIDE to SATA so I can go to say Fujitsu 320GB 2.5 inch 7200SATA (MHZ2320BJ) or Hitachi 500 GB SATA hard drives in the 504 H/D space?

Any help appreciated, I'm loving this new 160 GB hard drive freedom but I want to take that further for obvious reasons. Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:49 pm 

dont know, but i will let you know that those hard drives are the pits. ive got two, one ibought to go into the external unit, and the other to replace my aging seagate 100gb im my laptop. the first drive lasted about 2 weeks before refusing to boot, and a re instal wont find it in the system. the second one died after two reboots. the drives seem to lose a major file etc that allow windows to recognise the drive. i would never want one of these in my expensive media player, they are too unrelable.
just my 2 pence worth
roy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:09 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

roylovelock wrote:
dont know, but i will let you know that those hard drives are the pits. ive got two, one ibought to go into the external unit, and the other to replace my aging seagate 100gb im my laptop. the first drive lasted about 2 weeks before refusing to boot, and a re instal wont find it in the system. the second one died after two reboots. the drives seem to lose a major file etc that allow windows to recognise the drive. i would never want one of these in my expensive media player, they are too unrelable.
just my 2 pence worth
roy

Thanks to your reply and sorry for the delay I didn't get an instant e-mail notification, Mr Moderator ?

I'm afraid I got your information to late and I have paid for and installed the Western Digital hard drive and at the moment all things seem okay but I did notice I had to do a re start/hardware reboot once on battery power only over the last week so, so I'll keep my eye on it and report back over the next month if anybody is still interested in the gen 4 upgrade.

I must say Western Digital Europe as I was being very accommodating when it comes to faulty hard drives. I've had to replace a number of 3.5 inch raptor drives over the last four years and there advance replacement scheme has always been speedy and sometimes profitable technical service. The reason I say profitable it that on one occasion they upgraded to the 36 GB to 74 GB with no cost to myself due to the inconvenience of having two drives go faulty within eight months. But I take your point so I have all my music and films archived on my server just in case I need to rebuild the Archos libraries. Also this is second-hand 504 so I was always willing to take a risk on the hard drive upgrade going wrong etc.

On another topic have you guys seen the brand new just announced Archos PMP/MIDs? They are hot and with the new seven series they have answered my prayer with a 320 GB hard drive so I don't need to go to SATA from IDE connectors to upgrade this 504 to 320 GB (not sure if that would have worked anyway).

Once again thanks to your reply roylovelock (great user name by the way, what's the story behind it, keep it clean - LOL ?). Also nice to see a UK member as I'm from Manchester (in'it).

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi,
Optical 10..... Firstly let me say a hi to a fellow Manc. This must be Brits corner, then?

You seem to have walked the road I'm looking to venture down. I also want to beef up my 504's 80Gb to as large a size as is safely possible..... The "archos.com" site says its just not possible......"not even in our workshops"........yawn! And from reading some threads on this site I gather that there are very obviously firmware and possibly other compatibility issues.

But you have taken the plunge..........So how's it working out to date?

Is it generally the case then that one could pretty much upsize with any 2.5" IDE that would fit in the tin, or would it be safer to simply get, eg: a Hitachi Travelstar 250Gb drive?

I ask what may be bordering on the imbecilic as I couldn't claim to have the either the technical knowledge or the hands-on experience to be anything like confident of fixing the problem if a doozie reared its head.

Example:

Have just managed to perform a Lazarus on my 504. I made what I know was the major error (hindsight is always 20-20, isn't it?) of encroaching into what I can only assume was some buffer memory? or something..........when trying to cram a file onto the 504. After I did some kind of format or something whilst hooked up to my PC (I cant even remember exactly how I managed to do so effective a job of shooting my Archos in the foot) I gained that extra Mb or 2 that I needed, but which I hadn't been able to make available whilst unhooked (that ought to have been a warning to me) and managed to load the file.

And the 504 worked just dandy (playing that file and others without any issue), and after using it for a while I eventually turned it off, without having freed up any memory since loading that previously mentioned file.

But the next time I tried to boot it up, the 504 only got as far as showing the green "A R C H O S" logo on screen and then stalled, clicked a few times and totally seized up. Could only get rid of the logo and begin trying to reboot the 504 by removing the battery, etc. When hooked up, the PC wouldnt even acknowledge that an external device of any kind was attached, yet alone identify or access it. Nothing whatsoever worked. Subsequent Q's asked to various bods online (having explained the situation)........including such technos as IDE-USB suppliers resulted in conflicting answers as to whether or not I had best come to terms with the fact that I was stuck with what might now effectively remain a door-stop.

But I have just bought an external USB "plug & play" 2.5" storage HDD for a family member, and decided to try a Hail Mary manouvre..........to swap/install my 504 HDD into the casing of this unit, and hook that up to my PC.

Three cheers! Managed to pull my ass out of the fire. The PC now recognized the 504 HDD and I was able to easily remove that previously squeezed-in file.........and my Archos breathes again.

But.............this was a total stab in the dark, hands-on, low-tech type of attempt to fix it. And I have to admit that I would have been permanently lost if anything to do with partitioning, registry altering, or any other high-brow bumph like that had been involved.

So........what procudures, precautions, etc, need to be employed (other than choosing a drive that fits in the tin, and staying below the firmware version 1.5xxx you quoted) when ignoring the official "not even in our workshops!" line, and doing the deed?

Having had your drive in for a little longer.........are you finding it relatively trouble-free or are there particular issues, and given the opportunity, is there another HDD that you would have plumped for? When installed, does the Archos recognize the new drive capacity........or does operate in denial and continue to claim its working with the original size? Have you heard news of any hacks, etc, yet that get around your having to run your new drive on dinosaur firmware?

Lastly, what part of the rainy city do you call home?

Cheers!

PS. I'm not begging aid from a City fan, am I?.........

The shame would be great........

LOL.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:50 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

devilred" Q#1 Hi, Optical 10..... Firstly let me say a hi to a fellow Manc. This must be Brits corner, then?

A #1 Guess we're tighter with our money up north and rip-off Britain makes us more frugal than most of the world Inc USA especially, bar our African friends :-)

"devilred" = Q#2 So how's it working out to date?

"optical10" = A #2 It's working just fine..... (See the rest of my reply)

"devilred" Q #3 Is it generally the case then that one could pretty much upsize with any 2.5" IDE that would fit in the tin, or would it be safer to simply get, eg: a Hitachi Travelstar 250Gb drive?

"optical10" = A #3 I'm not 100% sure, in fact that's as one of the reasons I started this thread to determine which manufacturers models IDE 2.5" HD's are definitely compatible, however as mine (Western Digital) wasn't one of the hard drives mentioned in previous threads and other forums I would take an un-educated guess that it seems to be fine to choose any 2.5" laptop hard drive.

"devilred" = Q #4. I ask what may be bordering on the imbecilic....or any other high-brow bumph like that had been involved?

"optical10" = A #4 "I to profess to have no previous experience with Archos PMP's but reading through these forums and asking a friend with Archos experience it seems to me that these things originally were made to be very flexible and upgradable, which Archos must have realised was financially detrimental and being a global business had to change in fear of losing revenue, hence the lack of upgradability on later models.

"devilred" = Q #5 So........what procudures, precautions, etc, need to be employed (other than choosing a drive that fits in the tin, and staying below the firmware version 1.5xxx you quoted) when ignoring the official "not even in our workshops!" line, and doing the deed?

"optical10" = A #5 as you seem to have covered the obvious firmware rule all I can add is that I made sure I wore a antistatic wrist strap and also remember to transfer the antistatic/protective film that covers the hard drive component board from making direct contact with the battery case. I used installation tape, as the original protective film was not the right size/orientation because it was from the original Toshiba, then the Seagate hard drive which also didn't have one, as as was the case with the Western Digital.

"devilred" = Q #6 .........are you finding it relatively trouble-free or are there particular issues, and given the opportunity, is there another HDD that you would have plumped for?

"optical10" = A #6 I can honestly say I'm finding it trouble-free and I would repeat my choice of Western Digital hard drives due to their after sales service (even though I have had several replacements on the 3.5" HD's which had been replaced with no quibbles and extremely speedily).

"devilred" = Q #7 ........When installed, does the Archos recognize the new drive capacity........or does operate in denial and continue to claim its working with the original size?

"optical10" = A #7 Yes the Archos does recognise the new drive capacity, no problems there.

"devilred" = Q #8 .....Have you heard news of any hacks, etc, yet that get around your having to run your new drive on dinosaur firmware?

"optical10" = A #7 Now I haven't heard any more on the hack situation, although I can't say I'm a typical Archos PMP user as I only use it for MP3s and hardly for any video. So I guess if I was using it more for video recording and playback I would need the latest codec software etc and I would be in more trouble with this older firmware.

"devilred" = Q #9 Lastly, what part of the rainy city do you call home?

"optical10" = A #9 I'm a bit closer to the clouds and I can see the Pennines from my bedroom in Romilly, Stockport. Go to my YouTube web space, (username = optical10) to see my fields and the wild outdoors outside my bedroom window, hope you enjoy it :-)

all the best with your hard drive upgrade.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:51 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I just completed the upgrade to 250 GB on 504 with 1.5.03 firmware.

Steps....

Downgrade firmware from 1.5.03 to 1.4.03
Take out the 40 gb.
Put in 250 gb
turn player on.
reformat once player asks to.
put in firmware 1.4.03.

Viola!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:05 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Nice one =D> .Don't you just love this kit?

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:19 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm going to try another upgrade, this time to 500 GB using a Momentus XT Solid State Hybrid Drive. Follow my progress here:http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=64814