Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:01 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: odys neo X7 or next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:46 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I have an archos 28 and have been appropriately scarred. I never expected much for 100 euro, but the device is nearly useless. With 128 Mb memory, it does not even work as a useful internet radio. Flash never worked (runs out of memory and dies). WLAN/wifi reception is appalling, so the connection is often broken, even though cheap laptops have no problem. I guess there are physical limitations in such a small package.

Has anyone played with a 7 inch Odys neo X7 or next ? Both models cost around 115 to 130 euro in germany. I do not care about the zillion video codecs in Archos tablets. I really want to be able to listen to the radio and browse the odd web page. There are a few customer reviews on amazon.de which are mostly favourable.
It is still a bit unclear to me whether google's market/play will really work.
I certainly have not read any clear statement about flash. This would be helpful since some radio stations are flash-encapsulated.

I would be grateful for opinions.

Post subject: Re: odys neo X7 or next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:19 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

One can look at amazon.de.
There are only favourable comments on the neo X7.
There are (today) zero comments on the odys next.

This is surprising, since Amazon lists both in the top five sellers for tablets. Maybe in a week there will be some comments on the odys next.

Post subject: Re: odys neo X7 or next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:05 am 
Archos User
Archos User

gondel wrote:
Has anyone played with a 7 inch Odys neo X7 or next ? Both models cost around 115 to 130 euro in germany. I do not care about the zillion video codecs in Archos tablets. I really want to be able to listen to the radio and browse the odd web page. There are a few customer reviews on amazon.de which are mostly favourable.
It is still a bit unclear to me whether google's market/play will really work.
I certainly have not read any clear statement about flash. This would be helpful since some radio stations are flash-encapsulated.

I can answer my own question.
I bought an "Odys Next" for 120 euro on amazon.
It is a dream. For rather little money, everything seems to function. "mspot", "xiialive", "google listen" worked immediately. Google play works without a problem. It played the few short youtube videos I tried.
For me, adobe flash is important - some of the German radio stations package their signal this way. They all played.

The capacitative screen works well. The sound is probably tinny, but I connected it to some speakers to listen to the radio. The screen resolution cannot be as good as more expensive machines, but seems OK.
I am amazed that they put a gigabyte of RAM in the machine. It makes a difference compared to the archos I was using. You can really jump between applications.

The only problem I have seen is google plays says "tunein radio" is not compatible with the device, but this was the case with the archos I was using until yesterday.

I think this discussion might be academic. Amazon and *all* german mail order companies that I checked have sold their stock and say delivery of new machines will be in August.