Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:28 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:37 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Ok,
I got my galaxy player 5 inch tablet/media player 8GB from Amazon UK 2 days ago for £135.

I got it to replace my sony 7inch portable DVD player that has a 5 hour battery playing DVD's and 6 hours with a USB key, but it weighed over a kilo (which replaced an Archos A5IT). I diddn't want a phone, as too expensive (for the screen size) and it would not have good battery life.

Initial impressions
build quality is very good, solid and weighty. it looks like a big galaxy S2 phone or galaxy note. I've got a galaxy apollo gti5800 phone, and it's screen is 3.2 inches, that is the WIDTH of the galaxy players! The screen is huge next to an i pod, but it fits into a shirt pocket with no trouble at all, even in a case.

Screen viewing angles are superb, you can view it from almost sideways on. resolution is 800x480. It's bright and clear, plus you can brighten the screen on video playback (something my phone couldn't do, well it was only £65), and is clear in bright sunlight (but highly reflective). it's capacitive with multi touch and very responsive to use, and feels tough.

The battery is 2500mah but non removeable. And my first test results are:

screen set to 50% brightness and volume to 50%

It's lasted 9 1/2 hours of standard def video before the battery warning came on (15%)!

A 720p HD video lasted 7 hours before the battery warning came on. Strangely it played the file with no problem, but my friend's gen 8 101 needed the cinema pluggin to play it. considering the website quotes only 5 hours for video playback, I'm stunned.

The best thing is, it plays all my avi files without problems (I needed the cinema pluggin with the Archos A5IT), downloads and DVD rips, that was my biggest concern. MP4's don't work in my DVD players, so I don't use that format. I've installed mx player, as it has volume and brightness controls on the main screen for convenience via sliders rather than buttons. Plus it keeps my file system for videos, rather than listed all together in the stock player.

The stereo speakers are loud and pretty clear, but quiet recordings could be a problem due to the EU volume limiter. however, mx player update now allows volume to go up from 30 to 60, and is a LOT louder. The headphones have good sound quality, but the jack is in the bottom of the device, so would need to go in a pocket upside down! They are not that comfortable to wear (I change the buds to senheiser ones, and they are fine now), but it does have a mute/pause button and microphone on the chord, which is handy. The power button on the unit also acts as a lock, thats stops all controls working, except volume, which I love.

I don't have a good ear, so I have been playing with the equalizer for the best sound playing music, and have tried different headphones. As I use headphones, a speaker and FM transmitter, they all need tweeking.

wifi signal is strong, much better than my phones when upstairs, away from my router. The processing power is also way better than the 600hz processor and 256mb RAM in my phone. I managed to use the video camera on skype some 60 feet from my router.

It uses micro Sd cards up to 32GB, and goes in the top of the device under a flap, with easy access.
still got lots to play with, I made a kick stand to make it free standing, using a compact flach case and some velcro, will put up a picture if someone tells me how.

Charging with the mains adapter (micro usb) only takes 3 1/4 hours from 15% (which is when the unit tells you to recharge it), As it charges when off, it is twice as fast as the 5it at recharging.

Using an FM transmitter, I use it for music playback in the car, and it pauses the music when the GPS instructions come on, which also works really well. As the screen is so big, the maps are really easy to see.

Apps load very quickly, so much so, I hate my phone now!

As with most devices, it has had a few minor niggles. It has locked up 3 times, but restart has fixed it. It has failed to connect to the kies software, had to reinstall many times! It could do with more RAM, 377MB available (what device couldn't!). when you start to pound it, the web browser is especially RAM hungry.

Overall, very glad I took the plunge, don't regret it one bit. This is a very underrated device, and samsung should try promoting it properly.

marcel

Last edited by marcel on Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:23 pm 

Congrats on the new device. I love the 5 inch size. I hope Archos or someone else puts out a 5 incher too. If the price point hits "bargin" here in the US I will have to jump on this unit too. Then I will retire my trusty 605. I will miss the paddle buttons though.

Lots of luck with it and come back to give an update sometime.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:46 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I believe Archos put our their version of a 5" tablet last year:

http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archo ... us&lang=en

Unfortunately, it's an.....ARCHOS.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:30 am 

Archos had the Archos 5A out before any other Android tablet was on the market.

The Archos 5A came out in September 15th of 2009.

The Archos 48 Internet Tablet was the replacement of the 5A (which actually had a screen size of 4.8"). Basically the only change was that it didn't have GPS (the newer 48IT).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:34 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Had the a5it. Diddnt like the resistive screen,even with stylus it was fiddly. Long charge cycle of 6 hours wasnt great. But as video player it was great

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:36 pm 

Yeah I was wishing that a new 5 was going to be in the initial release of the Gen 9 line. It still may happen as the main products stabilize in the market.

Then again there could always be the Gen 10 right around the corner. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:36 am 
Archos User
Archos User

new update
BBC i player, ITV player and ch5 player all work, i only get occasional buffering due to my internet speed being really slow.

downloaded a few games (not a gamer, I have a ps2 and 4 games, yes, a ps2!), and the graphics are really smooth, the touch screen is responsive as is rotating the player.

One thing I have noticed is when viewing web pages, the text can look a little pixelated, only a little, but you can see it up close. Not a big problem, but it could annoy some people.

New Update: 26/3/2012
now have netflix, even with my rubbish internet speeds, the playback is flawless, battery life is reduced as wifi is on, havent tested full runtime yet.

however, the playing continues!

marcel

Last edited by marcel on Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:58 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Marcel, does the Samsung player play .mkv 720p well?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:09 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

to my surprise, yes it does. But, it won't play 1080p files.
I've got the file The.Art.of.Flight.720p.WEB-DL.DD5.1.H.264-MC.mkv from a guy at work. It's a really good snowboard film (cinematography? is fantastic), and it plays flawlesly. I wasn't interested in HD, as all my files are avi's, but it is nice to know it will. I've since downloaded loads of 720p mp4 film trailers, and they look great. For a single core machine, it is good. For £135, it's FAB! I'm not kidding, you can view the screen from any angle and still see it clearly. if someone tells me how to post pics, I'll put some up as proof.
One final touch of class, it has a lug for a strap, so I can't drop it! I looked at the galaxy note phone which is a similar size, and it doesn't have one.

I'm now happy to wait and see how the tablet market develops. As I've said before, if it doesn't do what I want, I won't buy it. I'm not brand loyal. If Apple made a tablet with: expandable memory, diddn't need software, and was the right size, plus great screen; I'd consider it. The same goes for Archos...

marcel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:01 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Thanks Marcel, I appreciate the info. Now I know I have a backup if my Archos 5IT dies.

Which application does the video playback? It is something Samsung builds in, or is it an Android App? I ask because I wonder if the Galaxy Note would have the same capabilities and better given its superior hardware.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:33 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

it is a standard android player I think (same as my samsung phone). When you want to play a video , it shows everything in all video folders which drives me mad, as I have 30GB of videos on it!

I put mx video player on it as it keeps all my folders, and gives me more playback options (it's also louder with the built in speakers).
Yes, the note is much better with it's better screen and being a more powerful device. got to play with one as I work next door to carphone warehouse, very impresive, and almost the same size as the galaxy player.

marcel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:19 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Well, I bit the bullet and got a Galaxy Note as my next-gen media player. Archos really blew it by giving up on the 5" form factor.
Do you have any advice on which android video player I should install?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:06 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

mx player keeps my filing system, which the stock player does not, plus it has touch controls for volume and brightness as well.

samsung goes from strength to strength!

marcel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:26 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hey, Marcel - something I've noticed is that the size of everything on screen is much larger on the SGP vs. the Archos. I switched to a different launcher so that I can resize the icons, but have you found a way to change the screen/ pixel density so that everything is smaller (widgets, url bar, etc.?) I've searched the internet for a solution, but nothing so far.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:55 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

no,
i've kept it pretty standard, I've only got about 12 apps.
I do have about 220 videos on the 32GB card though!

Give these forums a go, it might help

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-players/

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/fo ... .php?f=238

marcel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:18 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Hey Marcel,

Questions questions!! I love the archos for its file manager..where you can shove loads of albums and use the archos dual screen file manager to easily filter out the ones you want to keep etc...does the galaxy player or an andriod app have the same capability?

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:15 pm 

Theguru wrote:
I love the archos for its file manager..where you can shove loads of albums and use the archos dual screen file manager to easily filter out the ones you want to keep etc...does the galaxy player or an andriod app have the same capability?

There are a few Android file managers that can perform in similar ways to the Archos file manager. The integrated Archos file manager is much better than most stock file managers (if the company even offers one). Last I knew, Samsung doesn't have a stock file manager, so one has to be downloaded from the Play Store. I would strongly suggest Total Commander. It can be used as a root file manager, it is full of features, and it is free. There are also plugins that you can use with Total Commander that offer FTP support and LAN support.
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=total+commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:41 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Thanks!!

That is a good dual screen file manager BUT if you have an album for example you click on a music file within the album and load up the sound player it will only play that track you selected and not the others you cannot move onto the next without coming out of the soundplayer first....where obviously if you did that in the archos file manager you can...

Any ideas??

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:24 am 

That seems like something that has more to do with the music player you're using than the file manager. If you use a music player, you should be able to play albums, folders, or other selections without having to revert back to a file manager in between songs.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:16 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Theguru wrote:
Thanks!!

That is a good dual screen file manager BUT if you have an album for example you click on a music file within the album and load up the sound player it will only play that track you selected and not the others you cannot move onto the next without coming out of the soundplayer first....where obviously if you did that in the archos file manager you can...

Any ideas??

If you sellect a track manually, the stock player will go to the next track automatically.You can also customise how you view the music. ie: albums, artists, genres, folders(my favorite), composers, years, most played. Plus you can remove viewing options as well.

I love the fact that you can create your own folders, and the device will not mess them up, it can show all music (that's the main problem with the stock video player, it shows everything!) but it is customisable.

marcel