Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:59 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:08 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Two weeks ago I had the opportunity to try a Galaxy 5.0 player and within minutes I was more than impressed. I was going to wait for another month or two to pick one up for $239.99. Last night I was on BestBuy's website and I saw the Galaxy 4.0 was on sale for $179.99 (reg. $199.99). I really wanted the 5" but the sale price put the spread at a $60 difference. So tonight I ran down to B.B. and picked up a 4.0. I've been setting it up for the past two hours and let me tell you...there is ABSOLUTELY NO COMPARISON between the Galaxy Player and the Archos43. The Archos is a piece of crap compared to the Galaxy. The screen on the Galaxy has better, richer, more vivid color. The icons, pictures and text are sharp and crisp. The capacitive screen...oh man!! Where have you been all my life (or at least the past year)!? LOL! I can actually type with my finger with little to no errors. When I press the screen it responds without multiple tries or reaching for my stylus. Now I can finally experience pinch to zoom. The N band wifi connects at N band speed!! It has 7 home screens. I'm getting used to Gingerbread but so far Im liking it! So far...no bugs. There's only a couple of cons I found so far. The home screens don't tilt. There's no video out even though I read there is one on the 4.0. I'm still looking for it. I heard the GPS requires a wifi hotspot or a dataplan (WTF!!!?). I'm sure I can use a bluetooth GPS receiver so that's not a deal breaker. Aside from that, I'm loving this pocket tablet. I do believe this will give the iPod Touch a run for it's money. I just wish it was available last year. It would have saved me $235 and a year of aggravation due to bugs, poor firmware updates, shotty performance, and a very poor resistive screen. Oh well. The 43IT served it's purpose. But I think its time to shelf it or sell it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:38 am 

I know if I can find a Galaxy 5.0 for $200 I'll be all over it. I can then replace my old trusted 605.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:57 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Keep an eye on Bestbuy's site. Two days ago they dropped $20 off the 4.0 and I couldn't resist picking one up. Although I really wanted the 5.0 I honestly have no regrets getting the 4.0.

One other thing I noticed as a con on the Galaxy player. Most online streaming video looked kinda crappy. Just as the GPS info I read I'm getting some mixed signals regarding the Galaxy players ability to play HD videos. Some people are saying it's not HD. But I find specs like the following:

Format : MPEG4/H263/H264,Divx/Xvid
Playback & Recording: 720p HD Video

I've only had this device for about 10hrs (5 of those I was sleeping) so I will report back with up-to-date findings as I go. I played some HD videos from YouTube and they look very good. So maybe the other videos I saw were just poor quality.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:50 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

GPS works just fine without a wifi connection on the galaxy player. I use copilot live, but the free programs seem to work too. For Google maps, you'll need to initially have a wifi connection, but you can cache maps locally on the galaxy player and view them and see where you are using the built-in GPS without a wifi connection. No way to video out unfortunately.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:21 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Thx JonPoli. That's some good info. I tried using the GPS (wifi off) with Latitude and Google Maps this afternoon but it couldn't find me. I was thinking maybe it was the programs that needed a wifi connection. I might try CoPilot and see how that works.

UPDATE:
JonPoli. You are indeed correct!! I dloaded a free GPS navigator program called Sygic. The GPS worked fantastic!! Thx for the info!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:52 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

amazon Uk have the galaxy s 5.0 wifi for £135. just ordered mine, can't wait till wednesday to get it. even better, it gets delivered to me at work, so I can play with it when the shop is quiet! Time to load up a 32Gb micro SD card............

marcel

PS
does the galaxy player allow tethering on gingerbread? I know it won't on froyo.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:26 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Does it play aac+ audio files? Pretty sure this is part of basic Android spec., but worth asking.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:51 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

From the Samsung website:

Audio Files: MP3, WMA, Ogg, FLAC, AAC, WAV

Video Files: AVI, MP4, 3GP, WMV, ASF, MKV, FLV

Image Files: JPEG, GIF, BMP, PNG

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:10 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Hmmm... might have to drop some files on an SD (micro?) card or maybe take my windows tablet to a bestbuy and give it a try. I bet they work.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:53 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

So far my SGP has played everything I've thrown at it. Also, all my apps that acted squirrelly with my Archos 43IT are running flawlessly on the SGP. The GPS was a much desired feature that the 43IT lacked. My only gripe with the SGP is it doesn't have a HDMI out port. If it had that, it would be the perfect device (at least for me).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:27 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

GeoD wrote:
So far my SGP has played everything I've thrown at it. Also, all my apps that acted squirrelly with my Archos 43IT are running flawlessly on the SGP. The GPS was a much desired feature that the 43IT lacked. My only gripe with the SGP is it doesn't have a HDMI out port. If it had that, it would be the perfect device (at least for me).

Get a micro SD adapter, and an SD USB reader (Or micro SD USB reader), and put the memory card straight in the TV's USB port. That's what I do. I've still got a big sony CRT tv, but my DVd player has a usb port, works fine for me, and the same with my new HD tv, plus it saves the battery!

Marcel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:13 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Unfortunately, my TV only reads mpeg videos. Most if not all my videos are either AVI or DIVX format. The Samsung forums say Samsung dilibertly left out the HDMI port to help increase sales of their smart TV. I don't know about anyone else but Im not about to buy a brand new TV just for one feature when an easy solution could have been included in a pocket tablet. Plus, I just bought my TV last year.

There is a micro usb to hdmi adapter made but Im hearing reports it doesn't work on the SGP's. Im still trying to get more feedback before making a purchase.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:24 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Im the same as you. Luckily my tv is a samsung and it reads divx and avi. I have all my dvds ripped to avis on a 500gb hard drive plugged into the tv's usb port. It also plays some hd formats. I hate buying modern tech as the compatibilty seems to get worse the more advanced it gets. Seem to have been lucky so far!
Not getting a smart tv as internet is really slow where i live. Same goes for3D!
Am going to do research for when i get a big HD tv, as found out there are two main types of flat screen. I think its ips that are the better ones

Marcel