Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:02 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Acer iconia a100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:29 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I upgraded from a archos 5 imt to the 70. I was shocked at how junkie and buggy the 70 was compared to the 5 . Even the screen on the 5 was better then the 70. The 70 was so junkie and buggy that I sent it back. The only thing the 70 has that's worth a darn is the multi touch scree and a newer os.
I spent an extra 100$ and got an Acer iconia a100. Holy cow this thing is nice. Tegra 2 / 1 gig ram/ 1ghz 2xcore 8gig hdd/ GPS / and a higher rez screen also android 3.2! The screen on the iconia a100 got mixed reviews but I can tell you its a lot better than the archos 70.
I'm posting this mainly for ppl who are thinking of upgrading there older archos like I was. Just spend the extra money and get something like the Acer iconia a100. Its so much better. Games like a mofo too!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:57 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

What I have discovered is that one's experience with these devices definitely colors ones opinion. I can say this as I have been on both sides of the fence. For me the 5IT was the worst archos experience that I had ever had. I actually canme close to throwing it across the room on one occasion, whilst others swore that it was the best thing since sliced bread. I swore I would never buy another archos product again in my life. Then the A70 came out and its beauty and capabilities convinced me to take the plunge again. I am glad I did.

I have had my device since December 2010 and it has only crashed once. It does everything that I want which is primarily play movies, music, a few games, comics and e-books.

As of yet I have not put a movie on it that does not play. Once I got the appropriate program I have had no problems with comics and e-books.

It wakes after sleeping with no problems at all.

While not all software has worked on it most of the stuff I have installed works flawlessly.

I also quite aggressively close down anything in memory that I am not using at the moment so that when I do need to do stuff i the foreground there is enough memory available.

Above all, as is the case with every, and I mean EVERY electronic item i believe I was one of the lucky people that got a device without inherent faults, which is really the bottom line and also why I buy any purchase of this nature from amazon...because if it don't work right in the first few days, its going back for a replacement or a refund.

I ramble when happy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:21 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

JoeyJoJo,
I am totally with you. I see the potential of these Archos tablets -hell I have 2 of them, A101 and A70it. At first the A101 sucked SO badly, I also wanted to throw it across the room (and almost did). For whatever reason, it is now functioning very well as a video player in our car. I do not remove it for fear of bringing back the old mojo. It plays, keeps the baby happy and thusly keeps Mom happy.
The A70 on the other hand, has been a problem child since day 1. While originally not as bad as the A101, I cannot go an hour without the unit spontaneously rebooting, and if it does go that long, I am usually shocked. In fact, it is because it will occasionally play for an hour or so (we never use it much more than that) that I even consider the next generation units (G9-80).
However, due to the 70 being such a POS, I basically put it away for a good 6 months -we moved houses and I did not have time to mess with it...so recently brought it back out (about a month ago). I have done EVERYTHING to this unit to try to find the secret sauce to get it to function like a $250 device should function...
I finally contact Archos, to see about sending it back to get credit towards the G9. Hell, I would have accepted $50 for the A70, but they basically told me to pound sand.
I was seriously considering the Thrive, but the thickness is NOT welcomed. I may now look into the iconia as you mentioned...I wonder if DVDFab8 has a profile for this device?

Post subject: Re: Acer iconia a100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:54 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I also have the A100 and have a similar experience as you.

I had the Archos A70 and after each firmware caused more bugs than it fixed, I decided it was time to move on and get something better. The Acer is simply amazing in comparison. From the moment I started using it I could tell that it was going to be a night and day experience. Honeycomb is so much more polished and fluid that Froyo and the specs are so much better and it just runs smooth as silk. I love never having to worry about memory management since it is all done behind the scenes now; no need to keep everything closed to prevent the launcher from having to load when I return to the home screen.

I use the Acer as a music player and a navigation system in my car. It connects to my Sync system via bluetooth very easily.

When the G9s were announced, that is when I knew I was done with Archos. The specs still left to be desired and no rear camera made me look elsewhere and I am glad where I landed. This community is only thing that gave me hesitation about moving to another company.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:51 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

OK, what is the screen resolution of the Iconia A100? Also how well does it do with fullscreen PDF? I'm using an older tablet computer right now for an ereader and dealing with PDF in fullscreen mode. It works but the text is not as sharp as I really wish, and it is a lot heavier than the Iconia a100. I assume this tablet will go on sale this month here in the USA and if it would work at least as well as a Kindle DX (the big one) on my PDF, then it would probably be a less costly choice than the Kindle DX (even used DX are going for stupid prices). if you would be so kind, could you download this document and take a look at it for me, page 2 has the smallest text on the doc, the rest is very similar to the books that I am currently reading so would give me a good idea how well it would work.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgm ... nags_3.pdf
I can not link to the actual documents I am reading because they are copyright, but this is similar enough that it should give a good idea. The big deal with the tablet PC is that the letters are a little fuzzy which makes it more difficult to read for longer durations (I have about 1100 pages to go) so I want something with reasonable sized letters (without scrolling around the screen) and sharp text. Essentially something just like the Kindle DX can provide but cheaper and does more things.

Bonus would be if the Iconia could connect to my BT serial adapter and my BT keyboard at the same time... Then I could talk to my routers with it. My little Archos 43it can talk to one or the other, but not both and "typing" commands is essentially worthless on that little device, better than having the system down but certainly not something I would suggest for anything but emergencies. The PC tablet talks to both and is happy to do so which is currently how I have my test lab set up.

Taking a look, I bet the a100 will not work for me because it is probably too small. The a500 lists 1280x800 so I'll probably keep my eyes out for it or the w500 and see if I can get one really cheap and hope it works. If anyone still wants to test the PDF for me, that would be great.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:53 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I love my W500. I don't use it much for reading because it is so heavy, but I probably won't be buying another 10" tablet that isn't Wndows based.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:26 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

My old used Windows tablet was a stop gap, I see promise in the future but nothing that I really must have right now unless the prices drop to netbook level since you mostly get netbook performance. Ideally a Kindle DX or Pocketbook 902/903 would serve as my ereader and any tablet would be a backup. I think we still have another 6 months to a year before the really good new Windows tablets hit the market, and by the looks of things they will all be AMD/nVidia powered.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:05 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

butterflygirl wrote:
I love my W500. I don't use it much for reading because it is so heavy, but I probably won't be buying another 10" tablet that isn't Wndows based.

Hi Butterfly Girl and everyone,

I also have the W500 and the Asus EP121.

I use my W500 a lot for Kindle reading in fullscreen, 2-up landscape. I use it attached to the keyboard dock for Kindle. I've got Kindle on my A5IT, 101, and 70S. However the Kindle app on Archos Android 2.2 doesn't do 2-up in landscape so my mode with the Gen8s is usually portrait.

The Acer and Samsung Android tablets look much better than the Gen9s to me. No rear camera in the Gen9s was the final item which told me not to get a Gen9. With Archos out of the picture for me I've decided to go the Windows slate route for now, for several reasons:

1. The Google Android OS path is a mess: forked for 3.0 and unforked at 4.0, which continues preferential treatment for the Googleplex to the detriment of small OEMs like Archos.
2. Android Office apps are not totally compatible with MS Office. This may change when LibreOffice brings out their mobile Apps.
3. In general I can use the same programs on my Windows slates which I use on traditional Windows PCs.
4. Unlike Androids "sd card" messup with file structure, my Windows slates use standard Windows file structure proving backup much easier.

My questions for you Acer a100 owners:
1. How well does the Standard Browser handle flash video?
2. How well does the Standard Browser handle busy web sites like BBC news or MSNBC?

My primary complaint about the Gen8s is how easily I can crash them with busy web sites in the Standard Browser.

Aloha,
Al

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:11 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

One site that I have been visiting a lot is TheOldRepublic.com (new star wars game coming out) and that has a lot of flash on it. The Flash works very well and they have a lot of Flash videos embedded in the site. I sometimes get a small hickup when the flash video starts playing, but after about 3 seconds, it plays just fine with a very smooth framerate and no audio/visual sync issues. Night and day comparison to my A70.

For heavy sites, I just loaded msnbc on my work WiFi and it fully loaded in about 6 seconds but the top section rendered in about .5 seconds. One thing I noticed as a difference, on the A70, when a website is still loading, it is almost impossible to navigate what has already been loaded. That is not the case with the Acer 100. I have never gone to a website that was so full or so massive that it crashed my browser.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:10 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Thanks Diknak!

Nice to know web browsing is much smoother on the A100 than the Gen8s. Now how does the Gen9 do Butterfly Girl?

Aloha,
Al

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:50 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

For any gamers out there, I just got the Shadowgun game last night and . . just . . wow. The graphics are amazing, near console quality, and it runs at a super smooth framerate. This tablet does great with 3D games, I have tried 3 so far and they are all super smooth. Clockwork Knight, Dungeon Defenders, and Shadowgun.

Last edited by Diknak on Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:40 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

AllenPapapetrou wrote:
Thanks Diknak!

Nice to know web browsing is much smoother on the A100 than the Gen8s. Now how does the Gen9 do Butterfly Girl?

Aloha,
Al

Aloha Allen!!

Browsing is better on the Gen9 than Gen8. The stock browser on Gen8 randomly shuts down on me all the time. I am still on 2.1.08. There is a little lag when opening the browser on Gen 9, but I've not had issues with it randomly shutting down on me. I hate the onscreen keyboard, though. There are no directional arrows so it is a bit of a pain to correct typos. I'll have to see what other keyboards are out there. I sold all my Gen 8 devices except a 101 that the usb port doesn't work on anymore. I really like the tablet - The full size usb is great, the screen is much better than Gen8, I love the size for carrying around and reading, and of course the video support.

To me, it seems like Gen 9 now has a lot fewer bugs and more features than Gen 8 when it was released.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:21 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

The best keyboard I have used on a tablet is Thumb Keyboard 4. In landscape, it splits the keyboard and puts all of the letters in thumbs reach and numbers are in the middle. There are also arrow keys.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:44 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Diknak wrote:
The best keyboard I have used on a tablet is Thumb Keyboard 4. In landscape, it splits the keyboard and puts all of the letters in thumbs reach and numbers are in the middle. There are also arrow keys.

THanks, I'll check that one out!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:43 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Grabbed an a500 on ebay, should be here in the next couple of days.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:38 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Having spent a few days with my new to me a500, I'm not completely impressed. To read the comments here would suggest that the a100 and a500 would be a night and day experience... It certainly isn't that way from my point of view. The boot time on the a500 is long, longer than my XP tablet PC by more than 10 seconds. Things still lag like crazy, though not as bad as my 43it with the latest firmware. The touchscreen is of course so far above the resistive screen on my 43 that the comparison is definitely night and day. the music player in the a500 is very inferior to the stock 43it, album art has been a plague for me, sorting my library is not what I want. I would like to put the player from the 43 on my a500. Even the USB connection on the a500 is slower than the 43it, it takes about 10 more minutes to transfer the same number of songs into the onboard storage.

The big display is very nice, colors and resolution are great and I can read full screen PDF on the a500 with clearer characters than on my XP tablet so it isn't a total loss since this is primarily what I bought it to do. Bluetooth seems to connect to the few things that I need. Video playback seems good, but I haven't tried playing files from a video camera yet. Wifi signal strength is OK but a little lower than my computers in all locations.

In short it wasn't the dramatic leap I was expecting from all the words of praise given. I think Android as a whole is still way to fragmented and unfinished, maybe salvation will be Android 4 but how many of these "old" devices will get the update? But it should get me through the wait period for the next generation of Windows tablets to appear with win8 installed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:39 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Hey all,

I have owned an Archos 101 and two A70's. I still have an A70 running urukdroid. I also have an iPad 2, used mostly by the kids. I've always liked the Archos tablets and found with Urukdroid and the extra app space it provides they are nice, inexpensive little tablets. I also found after owning the 101 for a while that I prefered the A70.

That being said, I just picked up an Acer A100 for $160 on Craigslist. The A100 is definitely a step above the Archos tablets, no question about it. Waaaaayyyy faster and smoother with it's stock Honeycomb install. With the Archos tabs the stock software's launcher was pretty slow and I always had to install ADW launcher to get it to smooth out. But even with urukdroid and Adw installed, the Archos Gen 8 tabs really dont come close to the Acer. I'm sure the 1GB of RAM and Tegra 2 chip in the Acer compared to the 256MB in the Archos has a lot to do with that. The Acer also feels better built with its gorilla glass screen, etc. and the cameras are decent on it as well. Also, an update to Ice Cream Sandwhich is due out in April for the Acer while it appears the Archos Gen 8's will be stuck on Froyo.

One thing I miss from the Archos is the USB host mode. This is not supported on the Acer with Honeycomb. Hopefully this will be fixed with the ICS update.

Acer A100