Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:08 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:34 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Amazon's new Kindle Fire tablet is now on preorder with a release date of November 15, 2011.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051VVOB2/re ... 8X7YEC9QB&

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:09 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Give me a super thin lightweight 10 inch model with the IPS screen for $249 to have around the house, and I will be interested. 7" insn't very practical without 3g and only 8gb of space. I hope developers flock to these tablets with the backing of amazon and we see more apps on the horizon.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:14 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

No SD card slot, would have made a good machine if it had one.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:26 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Almost sound like they're selling a printer. Sell the printer cheap and make your money on the ink.

Let's sell a tablet for a good price. We'll make our money selling movies, TV shows, songs, magazines, books and apps.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:59 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

No bluetooth either....no I will pass.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:06 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I didn't even think to look for BT, yup another key feature lacking.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:36 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

And no WMV capabilities...this looks like Arnova in disguise.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:14 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Can you imagine, no external volume buttons!?
Only button or port is the power button.

This thing is worse than Apple's locked down devices.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:55 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

They will sell millions, just like the Kindle but I have a feeling those lured by the glossy color screen will suddenly understand why their old B/W Kindle was so much better. This thing is totally a consumption device designed to consume books, movies, and track your every online move if you use it for browsing (read how their browsing works).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:22 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Greg_e wrote:
They will sell millions, just like the Kindle but I have a feeling those lured by the glossy color screen will suddenly understand why their old B/W Kindle was so much better. This thing is totally a consumption device designed to consume books, movies, and track your every online move if you use it for browsing (read how their browsing works).

You nailed it :)

This device is a Trojan horse and is why there is no Android market, no microsd slot, small internal storage and a heavy cloud storage push. Data mining is the priority. Hold off buying one of these, since a lot of folks will return these to Amazon or sell them. Cloud storage does not do too well on trips and in many homes where unstable wifi and data caps are a monthly norm.

Early 2012 will see a ton of these selling for $100 on eBay. It is gimped by design.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:35 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

We'll see, If the internet silk browser runs circles around anything Archos can do I'm all there. I think amazon just took Archos niche of low cost mobile internet for 7". I can't wait to see what the silk browser can do (http://amazonsilk.wordpress.com/) & how Archos will react to it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:12 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

It seems to me that the Fire is being implemented after the Apple business model, i.e. this is a tablet to consume Amazon content and use Amazon appstore, much like iTunes. I guess we'll see how locked down it is when it comes out. Cannot believe there is not even an sd card slot.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:12 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

butterflygirl wrote:
It seems to me that the Fire is being implemented after the Apple business model, i.e. this is a tablet to consume Amazon content and use Amazon appstore, much like iTunes. I guess we'll see how locked down it is when it comes out. Cannot believe there is not even an sd card slot.

Ironic, since it would sell even more with one (and have legs too), but would compromise their business model of a captive customer base. They want that cloud data REAL bad ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wavelength 405 wrote:
We'll see, If the internet silk browser runs circles around anything Archos can do I'm all there. I think amazon just took Archos niche of low cost mobile internet for 7". I can't wait to see what the silk browser can do (http://amazonsilk.wordpress.com/) & how Archos will react to it.

Amazon Silk is vaporware, obviously. The promise is to do something like Opera Mobile, but bigger. And there is no point, OMAP4 is now fast enough to render any website natively as fast as on a laptop, why would anyone want to have Amazon compress websites through their cloud thing?

Anyways, the Amazon Fire is a good thing for the Android tablet market, it will bring many more people to be interested in tablets, those people will click for alternatives and that means many more Archos devices will be sold, on Amazon also.

Amazon can do a firmware upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich and make it more open, with Google Marketplace, Google apps, otherwise it'll just be the hackers that will provide root alternatives on xda and stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:46 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

You can order the kindle fire for the best prices here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051V ... hosfcom-20

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:33 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

dougeeebear wrote:
Amazon's new Kindle Fire cases tablet is now on preorder with a release date of November 15, 2011.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051VVOB2/re ... 8X7YEC9QB&

Cool price, I preorder for my son.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:18 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

My biggest question about Amazon's newest venture is how their movie streaming works with the Fire. Currently, when I try to stream video from Amazon to one of my Android tablets, I get a notification from their website that their videos are not optimized for mobile. On Archos gen 9, playback is much better than my experience on gen 8, but video is still stuttery on scenes with a lot of motion. I am wondering how Amazon is going to handle this. Will they have an optimized version that everyone can stream, or just use their Silk technology/software to stream to the Fire? Since their goal seems to be to make money selling content rather than hardware, judging by the price of the Fire, hopefully they will make this content usable by everyone.

I guess the other option is that you download a copy of what you want to watch to the Fire. When you purchase videos from Amazon, you can download a portable copy now, but you can only transfer that copy to two portable devices, have to use the Unbox software, and can only transfer one portable copy from a single computer. There is no way to release the portable licenses once you have transferred a copy to portable device, so this is not a viable option for someone like me who changes devices at least yearly.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:20 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Getting one tomorrow. Gonna give it to hubby for Christmas.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:02 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

butterflygirl wrote:
My biggest question about Amazon's newest venture is how their movie streaming works with the Fire. Currently, when I try to stream video from Amazon to one of my Android tablets, I get a notification from their website that their videos are not optimized for mobile. On Archos gen 9, playback is much better than my experience on gen 8, but video is still stuttery on scenes with a lot of motion. I am wondering how Amazon is going to handle this. Will they have an optimized version that everyone can stream, or just use their Silk technology/software to stream to the Fire? Since their goal seems to be to make money selling content rather than hardware, judging by the price of the Fire, hopefully they will make this content usable by everyone.

I guess the other option is that you download a copy of what you want to watch to the Fire. When you purchase videos from Amazon, you can download a portable copy now, but you can only transfer that copy to two portable devices, have to use the Unbox software, and can only transfer one portable copy from a single computer. There is no way to release the portable licenses once you have transferred a copy to portable device, so this is not a viable option for someone like me who changes devices at least yearly.

I am very surprised you are having problems with the Amazon streaming on the G9.
I have no problems on the Acer A100, even HD movies like Yellowstone are playing excellent.
Maybe the Nvidia GPU?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:46 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

@xfirex

I guess I'll have to try again. I had the issue with both the 80 and my Flyer. Netflix streams fine. Amazon streams fine through my Roku and my Acer Iconia W500.