Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:58 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:12 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Hey guys the price of the "magic pen" has been reduced to 40 dollars IMO a much more reasonable price tag
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HTC+-+Scrib ... &cp=1&lp=5

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:13 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Stringer wrote:
Yeah, I agree with your thinking--but I don't understand the purpose of the front 1.3 MP camera in the first place if Gingerbread 2.3 does not permit Google Talk to video chat. Are there alternatives until the Honeycomb update? (I think Skype may work, but most of my friends are on gmail.)

Skype does work on the HTC Flyer as you see it is on the list of supported devices.
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.skype.raider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:50 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

elitistlinuxuser wrote:
Stringer wrote:
Yeah, I agree with your thinking--but I don't understand the purpose of the front 1.3 MP camera in the first place if Gingerbread 2.3 does not permit Google Talk to video chat. Are there alternatives until the Honeycomb update? (I think Skype may work, but most of my friends are on gmail.)

Skype does work on the HTC Flyer as you see it is on the list of supported devices.
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.skype.raider

I have not tried it yet. Will test later.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:56 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Best buy lowered price of flyer to $99 and pen to $39. If you purchased in the last two weeks, you may be able to get a refund for the difference.

I purchased 3 flyers with pens over the weekend and my refund is supposed to be in the works.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:34 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

This pen by Fujitsu also works with the Flyer and is $25 plus shipping:

http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Ecommerce/SelectAccessoryDetail.jsp?partNumber=FPCPN36AP&category=Input%20Devices&title=Stylus%20Set%20(1%20pack)

no erase button, but you can access erase in the pop up menu. I read on slickdeals that the price drop was an pricing error and Best Buy is not honoring the price drop. Only thing this tablet is missing is a kickstand like the Evo 4g, other than that this is the best tablet out there.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

butterflygirl wrote:
Best buy lowered price of flyer to $99 and pen to $39. If you purchased in the last two weeks, you may be able to get a refund for the difference.

I purchased 3 flyers with pens over the weekend and my refund is supposed to be in the works.

If more tablet prices get this low, Archos is going to have to rethink their pricing on their devices. I know the Flyer does not have honeycomb, but personally I think froyo/gingerbread works well as a tablet UI even if it was not specifically designed for tablets.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:56 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Not sure what that was all about, the online add was there this am, but the store had a sign by the Flyer display with the mistake in print.
Still $299 here is a link http://androidos.in/2011/10/htc-flyer-p ... -best-buy/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:11 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

xfirex wrote:
Not sure what that was all about, the online add was there this am, but the store had a sign by the Flyer display with the mistake in print.
Still $299 here is a link http://androidos.in/2011/10/htc-flyer-p ... -best-buy/

called a store earlier and they said it was a mistake and that the price is still $299. The web still has it at $99.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:30 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

butterflygirl wrote:

I gather you purchased online, so have you been notified of the mistake?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:04 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I went in this morning to get an adjustment for the one I bought and buy a second for the wife, but they already had a posting as you went in about the error. There were forty people in line before the local BB opened, to get a Flyer :shock: They should have told the people in line, rather than have them wait.

They all "seemed" to take it well, since even in line people were saying it seemed too good to be true. The Touchpad died due to the OS, so different issue. Touchpad would still be around if were Android at launch.

Flyer (per BB folks) is selling very well now at $300, so made zero sense to be $100.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:52 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

xfirex wrote:
butterflygirl wrote:

I gather you purchased online, so have you been notified of the mistake?

I purchased online and picked up in the store. When I called this morning, they said that I would get the price match, but that someone higher up had to approve it. I have a case number to call on tomorrow if I don't hear from someone today.

I called a store on the way to work this morning to see if I could pick another one up for my husband and that store told me about the mistake. We'll see what happens. If I get the refund, I'll be ecstatic. If I don't, then I still feel like I got a good price :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:33 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

You sure did, would be hard for them to ask you to bring them back or charge you extra for the purchase.
Their screw up, your gain.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:12 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

xfirex wrote:
You sure did, would be hard for them to ask you to bring them back or charge you extra for the purchase.

I bought it at $299 and am trying to take advantage of their price match guarantee. I called them at 7am this morning before it was known that this was a mistake. We'll see.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:11 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

@elitistlinuxuser, Thanks for the link describing the HTC Flyer front and back cameras working with Skype.

I feel better staying with the HTC Flyer. I was considering getting a G9 80 but the screen fault issue that has been described in this forum and documented on youtube in several places really soured the deal for me. At one point in this forum, a user actually promised to post pictures and a description of how he opened up a new G9 80 and removed metal clips from around the USB port to solve the crushed pixel ripple defect in the screen. But that only solved the problem around the USB port. He was still trying to figure out how to solve the problem of ripples around his speaker and was asking if anyone knew how to reach the speaker. I just don't think you should have to do that with a new product on which you just spent $299.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:25 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

@butterflygirl--I hope you get your price match--I am in the same situation just having bought my HTC a few days ago but, unlike you, I could not make the call this morning. I have to say, this entire HTC price drop debacle sounds extremely fishy. I was following it on the slickdeals.net forums last night and this morning (you can see the wave of awareness slowly spread from the West Coast to the East Coast through multiple time zones. LOL). What is fishy about the whole deal is that the price reductions were evident both online AND in the stores. People posted pictures of the price cards with full descriptions IN THE STORES already printed with the $99.99 prices and attached to the HTC Flyers. So this so-called error was not just some flicking of the wrong switch online, but was an organized nationwide roll out that required price cards to be printed, distributed and affixed days ago. Just sayin'

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:18 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Though I hope you get it, I really doubt you will get a price match, since it was not intended to be that price (they piggy backed the original $200 discount by mistake).

Now that we know that even the Turbo versions will have 512mb ram, I will stick with the Flyer. Honeycomb / Icecream seems too much overhead for 512mb ram. If Best Buy, Wal Mart or any other local store gets the 80 G9 in, I will test it out, none the less. I will not get the 8gb version, since Tiger Arcade and MAME4all total about 5gb of space and must be stored in the internal (sdcard) flash. That would leave no space for data that gets pushed there by a lot of apps. Need a 16gb version :)

Especially concerned if the Turbo versions are just overclocking the 4430. That SOC gets hot enough at 1ghz and starts accelerating battery drain. A 20% increase would make it worse. Surely they are using the actual 1.2ghz chips, rather than an overclock.

The 4430 seems to get just as hot as the Tegra 2, at 1ghz.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:15 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

butterflygirl wrote:
xfirex wrote:

I bought it at $299 and am trying to take advantage of their price match guarantee. I called them at 7am this morning before it was known that this was a mistake. We'll see.

I was referring to the 3 tablets you got at the $99 price.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:30 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

xfirex wrote:
butterflygirl wrote:
xfirex wrote:

I was referring to the 3 tablets you got at the $99 price.

I didn't get them at $99. I'm trying to get the price match.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:38 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Ahhh, my bad, I thought you bought 3 online and picked them up in a store for $99 before they sacked the deal.

Well who knows, maybe they will come out with some adjusted deal

One thing I do know, I will not return to any of their stores after this last fiasco.
I drove 20 miles to a store that had an offer active online, just to be told it was a mistake.

Not the way to treat customers in my book.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:49 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I wonder how is GPS I haven't seen any review testing that out. It seems like that the pen price drop is permanent.