Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:11 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: HTC Flyer And Jetstream
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:39 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

While the HTC Tablets are pretty pricey they seem like my cup of tea. The design and build quality are top notch. The main thing that really attracts me to the HTC tablet is the pen feature which allows the devices to be more than media consumption devices and the beautiful Sense UI. Anyways I might be receiving the 7 inch wifi only version. I will tell you guys what I think of it if I get it. Also it is one of the first MHL devices for outputting video and charging the device through micro-usb so it can do video out just like my Archos tab. Anyways HTC's tablets seem pretty interesting compared what Archos calls the "standard tablet". :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:47 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I have the HTC View the sprint version of the Flyer, and it is a top notch device in terms of performance and build quality. You can output video with an MHL adapter. The pen is a little overated because of the limited functionality, but the Flyer now has a honeycomb 3.2 port that allows the pen to be used everywhere on the tablet like a stylus. I am looking forward to this on the View. There is an active community surrounding this device, now that HTC has open sourced Sense development should really take off. I love my evo 4g and I am sure this device will see the same long term type of support going forward, like I said the Flyer already has Honeycomb.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:37 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

philthy_ritch wrote:
I have the HTC View the sprint version of the Flyer, and it is a top notch device in terms of performance and build quality. You can output video with an MHL adapter. The pen is a little overated because of the limited functionality, but the Flyer now has a honeycomb 3.2 port that allows the pen to be used everywhere on the tablet like a stylus. I am looking forward to this on the View. There is an active community surrounding this device, now that HTC has open sourced Sense development should really take off. I love my evo 4g and I am sure this device will see the same long term type of support going forward, like I said the Flyer already has Honeycomb.

I forgot that HTC is bringing Honeycomb to the Flyer I saw screenshots and I'm pretty impressed with what I see. I think being able to use the stylus outside of HTC's apps is a good thing but the functionality offered now isn't that bad. Some of the functions are hidden.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX3QPWP2q4c
I would love to see the XDA-devs folks get Ubuntu running on it, IMO Inkscape on this device would be a dream.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:41 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Also as discovered by the XDA-Devs folks, that the device will receive full USB host functionality (with an a cheap adapter of course) so one less reason to use an Archos tab and it already supports all the codecs of an Archos tab at 720p high profile plus 720p browser playback. Anyways the device seems to get better and better each day. Also the back camera seems useful for scanning. With honeycomb this is looking to be one very useful mobile productivity and entertainment device.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82Z2JvzBtB4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:25 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

The Flyer is still the best 7-8 in tablet on the market. With the pen support, it will stay on top for sometime. I'm looking forward to the Honeycomb. It promises to be a sweet update

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:12 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Hey guys starting tomorrow HTC and bestbuy are lowering the price of the HTC Flyer. It will be lowered from 500 to 300 dollars and at that price you could do much worse. Be picking one up soon I'll tell you guys what I think of it.
http://www.phonedog.com/2011/09/30/htc- ... tober-1st/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:46 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

elitistlinuxuser wrote:
Hey guys starting tomorrow HTC and bestbuy are lowering the price of the HTC Flyer. It will be lowered from 500 to 300 dollars and at that price you could do much worse. Be picking one up soon I'll tell you guys what I think of it.
http://www.phonedog.com/2011/09/30/htc- ... tober-1st/

Picked up one to play with. I like it a lot. Hopefully official HC will be coming out soon and usb host support.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:44 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I picked the Flyer up from Best Buy yesterday, just to try out and then compare to the 80 G9. It has 1gb ram, 16gb internal and microsd slot. Only a single core, but clocked to 1.5ghz and surprisingly kicks the 4430 and Tegra 2's butts with game emulators and "snappy performance" compared to the other devices I have tried or own.

Good

1. Build is solid & fairly compact

2. External speaker is louder than expected

3. Sound quality is good

4. Display looks good with good angles as well

5. Nice size

6. Snappy device (best I have ever tried so far)

7. Responsive touch function

8. Wifi has good range, stable and makes the A500 I owned seem like a little wimp. Wifi is as good (or better) as my Thrive (Thrive has very good wifi).

9. Game emulators play faster on this device than any I have tried or own now: gTablet, Galaxy Tab, A500, Thrive, Transformer, DX2 and Droid 3. This is a single core, but clocked at 1.5ghz. Noticeably faster than the dual cores and does not appear to get as hot as those devices. Far more games play smoother on N64Oid and FPSe. I am stunned, since thought the duals would be better.

10. Plays video well. Tried some 720p MKV files and they played fine. One odd thing is though MKV files played better on the Flyer, WMV 720p plays better on the Thrive. Weird.

11. Seems the right size for games compared to the Droid 3 and Thrive I own ATM. Not too big or small. Juuust right.

12. Charges through the USB port, so no worry or need to lug the power supply!

Bad

1. Do not like the location of the SD card, but at least it has one.... cough... Kindle Fire... cough.

2. The white on the ends. Why?

That is all of the bad I can think of ATM. For $300, the Flyer rocks real hard and I am wanting to keep it, but the Archos 80 G9 is tempting (if the full USB host support is added back to the firmware).

BTW, I like Gingerbread on smaller displays, since no black navigator bar taking up 10% of the display. I will not update it to HC if I keep it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:11 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Thanks for your feedback on the Flyer, I figured it would be impressive and the price is very nice.

Btw, you do know there is an app named HoneyBar for rooted devices that hides the bottom navigation bar on demand?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:26 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

@ rushmore, I know this is a bit off topic in an Archos forum, but I, too, considered the Archos but instead bought an HTC Flyer from BB due to the $200 price drop. How would HTC roll out Honeycomb to prior purchasers of the Flyer? I've only seen on air updates from cell phone manufacturers over 3G, or tablets with 3G but not a tablet manufacturer with a tablet version that only has WiFi enabled.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:25 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I have acquired both the htc flyer and the archos 80 in the last week. The flyer is snappier and the screen is awesome. I also like the Sense overlay and the keyboard better. However, although the screen isn't as nice and it doesn't run as fast, I like the fact that the archos plays my videos and that i can transfer files without having to hook up to a computer. Hopefully HC on the flyer will enable usb host. I also like the fact that my archos can run a 1 TB harddrive without external power. I like the larger screen on the 80 as i dont want another 10" tablet.

I'm afraid that if I had to choose it would be the archos. Fortunately, I dont have to.

I did buy flyers for my kids to use to take notes because of the pen. My daughter is using the built in ereader (kobo?) and pen to annotate one of her books for class.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:50 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Stringer,

I prefer Gingerbread, since a 7" display is already small without losing more to the "infamous" navigator bar. Not to mention it seems to run faster than Honeycomb. Still, the Flyer is selling well now and HTC are good for updating devices. I will chose not to update, but appreciate I am the odd one out ;) Consensus in other forums is 3.2 is coming.

Butterflygirl,

That is my dilemma too. I bought the Flyer to test and see how the 1.5ghz single core performed, but grossly underestimated the device. It performs better in everything compared to my other devices, plain and simple. I also REALLY like how it charges via USB too. If it had a stand like the Archies, it would be "near" perfect.

16gb flash, 1gb ram, microsd, USB charging and the chipset performs great while running cooler than the 4430 and Tegra 2. For $300, it is a great device.

The wild thing is even high def Flash content and games that would stutter some on the A500, Thrive, DX2 and Droid 3, play smooth on the Flyer. 720p MKV files also play smooth on the Flyer, but choke on those devices. The G9 will of course trump the Flyer for video codec support.

Looking forward to testing the G9 too :) , but I may already have found a device that suits my smaller device needs and have a 16gb Thrive for full USB and full size XDXC card support (I have a 64gb in mine). Again, it is amazing how a $200 price drop can change perspective on a device. I would have NEVER tried the Flyer at its previous price.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:17 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

rushmore wrote:
Stringer,

I prefer Gingerbread, since a 7" display is already small without losing more to the "infamous" navigator bar. Not to mention it seems to run faster than Honeycomb. Still, the Flyer is selling well now and HTC are good for updating devices. I will chose not to update, but appreciate I am the odd one out ;) Consensus in other forums is 3.2 is coming.

Butterflygirl,

That is my dilemma too. I bought the Flyer to test and see how the 1.5ghz single core performed, but grossly underestimated the device. It performs better in everything compared to my other devices, plain and simple. I also REALLY like how it charges via USB too. If it had a stand like the Archies, it would be "near" perfect.

16gb flash, 1gb ram, microsd, USB charging and the chipset performs great while running cooler than the 4430 and Tegra 2. For $300, it is a great device.

The wild thing is even high def Flash content and games that would stutter some on the A500, Thrive, DX2 and Droid 3, play smooth on the Flyer. 720p MKV files also play smooth on the Flyer, but choke on those devices. The G9 will of course trump the Flyer for video codec support.

Looking forward to testing the G9 too :) , but I may already have found a device that suits my smaller device needs and have a 16gb Thrive for full USB and full size XDXC card support (I have a 64gb in mine). Again, it is amazing how a $200 price drop can change perspective on a device. I would have NEVER tried the Flyer at its previous price.

The flyer has really exceeded my expectations as well. If I could somehow merge the flyer and the gen 9 80, I would have the perfect device.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:02 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Stringer wrote:
@ rushmore, I know this is a bit off topic in an Archos forum, but I, too, considered the Archos but instead bought an HTC Flyer from BB due to the $200 price drop. How would HTC roll out Honeycomb to prior purchasers of the Flyer? I've only seen on air updates from cell phone manufacturers over 3G, or tablets with 3G but not a tablet manufacturer with a tablet version that only has WiFi enabled.

It is pretty simple the Flyer receives updates over the air via wifi just like every other tablet.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:43 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

elitistlinuxuser wrote:
Stringer wrote:

It is pretty simple the Flyer receives updates over the air via wifi just like every other tablet.

Thanks for pointing that out. As I sometimes do when looking at posts on a phone, I miss stuff (sorry).

Yes, the Flyer has an option to check updates through wifi and it will list and ask what ones you would like to update. You can also set it to auto-check at certain time intervals. I have done one minor update so far, via the "Check for updates" in settings.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:03 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

xfirex wrote:
Thanks for your feedback on the Flyer, I figured it would be impressive and the price is very nice.

Btw, you do know there is an app named HoneyBar for rooted devices that hides the bottom navigation bar on demand?

Really?! Did not know this. Perhaps a reason to finally root my Thrive.... I will check it out!

You would think such a feature would be STANDARD for Honeycomb, since the black bar is taking up display space- always.

BTW, the Anandtech Flyer review comments and benchmarks supports my results for games, Flash and video content.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:56 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thank you for pointing out the update feature on the WiFi only tablet. For some reason, I thought that was only operative if you have 3G service (I only had Android on phones with carriers before, never on a tablet with just WiFi and no carrier). I am also really growing to like Gingerbread and the single core speed on the HTC, although I noticed this morning that sometimes when I use the HTC and its browser in landscape and type in a box (like doing a Google search) the box gets obscured by the pop up type pad and I can't see what I am typing. Are those some of the problems you get with an OS like Gingerbread not configured for a tablet screen?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:54 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I have not had the issue yet. Try Hacker's Keyboard, since it has a number row and tons of interface options :)

I can say that the Flyer is faster than my Droid 3 and Thrive, so all good so far. Leaning towards keeping this and passing on the G9. This tablet is smaller and had great wifi range. Not to mention it is here now and not too sure I want a 512mb ram Honeycomb tablet.

Just wish the microsd was external and it had a stand. Everything else is fine IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:09 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Yeah, I agree with your thinking--but I don't understand the purpose of the front 1.3 MP camera in the first place if Gingerbread 2.3 does not permit Google Talk to video chat. Are there alternatives until the Honeycomb update? (I think Skype may work, but most of my friends are on gmail.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:01 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Skype video works on the Droid 3 and it is Gingerbread. But 2.3.4, rather than 2.3.3.

My guess is 3.2 is coming "soon", but is has been "coming soon" for a few months now ;)