Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:11 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:29 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Hey guys I finally ordered an HTC Flyer. I waited a year to buy one, now I wait two weeks for it to arrive in the mail. I also ordered the HTC Scribe pen and a navitech case with pen holder. So I will tell you guys what I think of when I receive it in the mail. I guess there is a reason why people say patience is a virtue. Soon my waiting will be over, then I will be waiting yet again later this year for another shiny gadget ahh tis the sad life of a geek.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:57 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Ok guys I recieved my HTC Flyer, Navitech folio case, and HTC Scribe digital pen and in fact I'm typing this message one right now. So a few things I noticed.
The HTC software enchancements are well thought out and admittedly beautiful looking. Though sometimes the interface will crash but it is a heck of a lot more stable than the firmware on Archos 5
The build quality is great and the device looks gorgeous. Oh man the difference in build quality between this and an Archos 5 is night and day.
The device fits very easily into large jeans or jacket pocket.
The pen feature is not a gimmick, contrary to popular belief, if you set the pen size to the smallest you take some really accurate drawings and notes. Plus evernote syncronization works perfectly and I can ad my notes to my calendar appointments. Plus the ability to annotate books, documents, and pdf makes it a really useful. In fact I'm going to start using for school for note taking. I will note the palm rejection isn't perfect but it is still more serviceable than a resistive screen or a capacitive stylus. I wish there was a full fledged drawing app, hand writing recognition, and the ability to use the stylus as a replacement for your finger. I will say I was able to replace my notebook, journal and planner with this device.
The cameras aren't amazing but there functional and I can confirm the front cam works with Skype for video calls.
Typing is a dream on it, normally I'm not a fan of virtual keyboards but the shear size of the device plus vibration feedback makes it really nice.
The display looks really nice, color saturation is really good plus it is really bright. The screen is perfect for ebook reading and browsing the web in landscape mode. The thing bad about the display is how idiocally glossy it is and shows finger prints like there's no tomorrow. I wish manufacturers would use matte Finnish displays again.
Honeycomb would be nice but I can live without it.
Video Playback is OK not as Good as the Archos 5 in terms of codec support where I didn't have to worry what size or bitrate the video is, but it is sufficient for most video plus moboplayer help partially remedy that problem.
the device has a 1.5ghz processor, while slower in some use cases compared to dual core processor, it is faster is single treaded applications and in terms of user experience it feels faster than all of the honeycomb tablets I have used. It runs every Android app I throw at it without even breaking a sweat and as one of the previous posters mentioned I runs games and emulators beautifully.
Batter Life is really good I get 7-9 hours of usage and sometimes I even get 15 hours of battery life from this device.
So there you have it the HTC Flyer a simply amazing device and I can say it is better than all of the tablets I have used/owned. A more in depth review is coming to my blog soon so stayed tuned.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:06 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

The HTC View which is basically the Flyer with 4G in addition to WiFi and 32G of internal storage has been on sale off and on for $219 to $250 mostly on eBay. Just in case anyone is thinking of picking one up. It has an OTA update to Honeycomb that's currently not rootable. There is also a more complicated path from rooted Gingerbread to rooted Honeycomb. Best place I've seen for updates on the various sales is the HTC Flyer forum at XDA developers forum.